Author Topic: Fauci scolds Rand Paul during tense exchange at hearing  (Read 939 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fauci scolds Rand Paul during tense exchange at hearing
« on: September 23, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »
Fauci scolds Rand Paul during tense exchange at hearing
By Nathaniel Weixel - 09/23/20 12:35 PM EDT

A seemingly irritated Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, scolded Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) at a congressional hearing on Wednesday after the senator claimed that COVID-19 cases might not be rising in New York because of herd immunity.

Fauci, the country's top infectious diseases doctor, told Paul he was wrong to make the suggestion, and he said Paul had also been wrong in other public comments about the concept of herd immunity.

"No, you've misconstrued that, senator, and you've done that repeatedly in the past," Fauci said.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/517801-fauci-rand-paul-is-not-listening-to-the-cdc-director-about-covid-19-data
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Online mountaineer

Re: Fauci scolds Rand Paul during tense exchange at hearing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:08:59 pm »
Why is Fauci so invested in the virus' success?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:21:49 pm »
It's entirely possible that 22% is enough for herd immunity.  The rest of the population may already be immune.  Rand Paul is hardly alone in his speculation.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 01:26:38 am »
Dr. Fauci is NOT the leader for infectious disease in the USA.  That is false.  His work on HIV/AIDS leaves a lot to be desired.

My better half works for the government, and is involved with the COVID19 outbreak, and she would agree with Dr. Fauci that 22% does not constitute herd immunity.  Sadly, too many of these government bureaucrats are extremely literal, and not logical.

However, even with 22% of the population having immunity, that would reduce the spread of a disease.  So I think it is fair to say there is partial herd immunity there.  I suspect Dr. Rand Paul was implying that as a factor, nothing more.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:35:21 am »
Why is Fauci so invested in the virus' success?

I would look at his investment portfolio...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:42:18 am »
I would look at his investment portfolio...
Most likely. He does seem tight with Bill Gates, the vaccine expert.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 01:45:16 am »
Unlike Fauci, remember: Paul actually HAD the virus and survived.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 01:47:05 am »
Most likely. He does seem tight with Bill Gates, the vaccine expert.

REALLY? What a coincidence, right?  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 03:09:50 am »
Dr Fauci is a rat b*st*rd.  I am sure his stock portfolio reflects his recommendations. 

And don't bet money he already had a vaccine from somewhere for this virus, i.e. China.  I believe 100% this virus was unleashed intentionally, and I believe he may well have been involved in it all too.  Something does not smell right about this b*st*rd.

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 03:51:13 am »

I suspect a lot people got it and moved on with life.

Those who have good levels of D in their system seem to have far milder symptoms.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 04:05:52 am »

So did my sister.

It was like a moderately bad cold. Elevated temp for a few days.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 11:31:50 am »
So did my sister.

It was like a moderately bad cold. Elevated temp for a few days.
The only person I know who had it was the youth minister at our church. He said he had a very bad cough. Even though he seems to have some other health conditions and is overweight, I don't believe it got any worse than that, and he wasn't hospitalized.

I don't know exactly what Fauci's area of expertise might be, but he doesn't seem to be correct about much of anything, whether AIDS or Covid-19.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 01:14:44 pm »
It's entirely possible that 22% is enough for herd immunity.  The rest of the population may already be immune.  Rand Paul is hardly alone in his speculation.
Most estimates I've seen place the lower limit on heard immunity at 27%.  But regardless, let's take Paul's 22% figure.  That means we approach heard immunity when 73 million people have been diagnosed with Covid.  That's a little over 10 times the number so far.  At the current fatality rate of about 2.9% that means 2.1 million fatalities.  Rand and you are good with that?

Offline RedHead

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »

About 97% do.  But it's kind of hard on the 2.1 million who will die achieving Paul's herd immunity level.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 02:44:00 pm »
Most estimates I've seen place the lower limit on heard immunity at 27%.  But regardless, let's take Paul's 22% figure.  That means we approach heard immunity when 73 million people have been diagnosed with Covid.  That's a little over 10 times the number so far.  At the current fatality rate of about 2.9% that means 2.1 million fatalities.  Rand and you are good with that?

The CDC estimates the fatality rate is around 0.26%.  I don't think we have good data, because everything is political.  The only test case we have is Sweden, where the pandemic was allowed to run its course, and the covid apocalypse never took place.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 04:16:22 pm »

No, it isn't the whole herd. It is the interlopers. Whole segments of the herd remain outside of the threat so long as an infected interloper is not present. VAST tracts of the nation have virtually *no* exposure. They don't count in your measurement, being without threat of exposure in the first place... Equally, those herd members that are inactive have a very low risk until encountering an infected interloper.  A trailer court full of old folks out in the country, even with their heightened risk factor, are not threatened, and likely won't be unless an interloper introduces the peril.

It is the ACTIVE subset that is the interloper group. That is a substantially smaller subset.

And the mortality rate is no where near 2.6%.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 06:16:26 pm »
Except that the  fatality rate you are listing is so inflated as to be worthless, except to scare the public into following big brothers fascist dictates.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 06:23:13 pm »
About 97% do.  But it's kind of hard on the 2.1 million who will die achieving Paul's herd immunity level.

Do you have a link to support this or are you pulling number out your ......

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 07:35:18 pm »
Study Finds Most Americans Trust Dr Pepper Over Dr. Fauci
August 14th, 2020

U.S.—A new study has found that far more Americans would trust Dr Pepper than would trust Dr. Fauci.

While Dr. Fauci has made some questionable claims over the past few months, Dr Pepper hasn't made any erroneous predictions about the virus or recommendations when it comes to masks and other protective measures. So the soft drink has rocketed up the charts as the most-trusted medical professional in America. ...   Babylon Bee

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 11:04:43 pm »

Wow... Total fail...

First, the fatality rate isn't anywhere remotely near 2.9%.

Second, many people have gotten Covid-19 and didn't get sick enough to seek medical care and didn't get tested.

The numbers available are wildly inaccurate due to both counting deaths that weren't actually caused by Covid-19 and not knowing who has had it overall.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 11:05:18 am »
Wow... Total fail...

First, the fatality rate isn't anywhere remotely near 2.9%.

Seven million diagnosed cases, 203,000 deaths.  Do the math.

Second, many people have gotten Covid-19 and didn't get sick enough to seek medical care and didn't get tested.

If they didn't get tested then how do you know they had Covid?

The numbers available are wildly inaccurate due to both counting deaths that weren't actually caused by Covid-19 and not knowing who has had it overall.

So instead of making up numbers we're forced to go with what we know.  And that's 7 million diagnosed cases and 203,000 deaths.  A 2.9% fatality rate. 

Offline RedHead

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 11:07:15 am »
Do you have a link to support this or are you pulling number out your ......

If we achieve herd immunity when 22% of the population has covid then that's almost 73 million diagnosed cases.  The current fatality rate is 2.9%.  Surely you can do the math as easily as I did.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
Except that the  fatality rate you are listing is so inflated as to be worthless, except to scare the public into following big brothers fascist dictates.

Then certainly you have statistics and a source that supports your claim?  Let's see them.