Author Topic: Why do Catholics make up a majority of the Supreme Court?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Why do Catholics make up a majority of the Supreme Court?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 09:56:12 pm »
----------------------------
On a serious note, following the 5th century Fall of Rome, the Catholic Church
became the driver of creativity, innovation and vision across Europe;
as emerging nation/states struggled to survive and develop.
Producing some of history's greatest minds, the Church was the catalyst
behind the late Medieval Era, the Renaissance and the Counter-Reformation,
each of which advanced Mankind.
In our time, Religions, all of them; are in obvious decline and the current Pope
is the poster boy for that cold reality in the Church of Rome.
He is light years beyond a total embarrassment in terms of action, thought and words.
It's what you get when you get a third world (Communist) mentality in a position which generally requires first world enlightenment which was nurtured in light of the scholars and philosophers who developed those advancements. It is the difference between believing one should look after those less fortunate (voluntarily) and being required to do so (as in by the State). The latter mentality is more easily given over to the admixture of religion and secular philosophies which should be separate, hence the politics of the Holy See at present. He's no John Paul II.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:49 pm »
---------------------
Gibbon, a world ranking historian, put the blame on Christianity/Catholicism
which muted the warlike impulse of the Romans.
Frankly, the Romans became lazy. Bread and circuses more important than conquest.
It is the hungry who work hard to be more, and appreciate every gain, not the fat and pampered.
When Romans farmed out the protection of Rome, effectively paying tribute to the Northern tribes for security, they were doomed within a couple of generations.  That wasn't the fault of Christianity, but sloth.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:25 pm »
I think it concerns me more that ALL NINE current Justices (including Ginsburg) are graduates of Harvard or Yale.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:11 pm »
I think it concerns me more that ALL NINE current Justices (including Ginsburg) are graduates of Harvard or Yale.

Because Princeton doesn’t have a med school or a law school

But quite a few went there under graduate
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:13:08 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 10:12:12 pm »
Scientists have analyzed the bones of people who died in past centuries.
They found that the average person was better nourished AFTER the fall of Rome!
The fall of Rome was a catastrophe only to fans of big government.

-------------------------------
Some sorta joke, I suppose. He-he-he.
Anyway, Rome endured from 750 BC till it's fall in 475 AD, some 12 Centuries, while we
who assert we are the greatest, are a tad past two!!!
Rome survived and thrived because they anointed/embraced the greatest who ever walked Planet Earth, the Ancient Greeks, as their mentors/teachers.
Both created Western Civilization which encompassed Art, including Literature (Drama, the Novel and Poetry), Architecture, History as well as Science including Botany, Biology,
Geometry, Medicine, Logic and Physics.
Two of their minor creations included competitive athletics (the Olympic Games) and representative governance (the Republic; defined by Plato)
The Ancients must be beyond amusement witnessing our daily Buffoon and Clown Show
nudging each other w/the remark," Can't wait to hear what they'll say next?????"

I’m reading the “rise and fall of the great nations” at the moment by Kennedy. Highly recommended
@Absalom

Offline verga

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 10:24:05 pm »
There are several reasons advanced for the fall of Rome: the decline of the military, increase in the savage hordes. But I got my own opinion. I think it was those Roman baths. Roman generals didn't even bother to fight their own wars no more. Swam around in scented oils, lollygagging with the slaves, stuffing themselves with larks' tongues.
There are three things that have preceded the fall of every great nation
1) Moral Turpitude.
2) The creation of a welfare state.
3) Corrupt leadership leading to "unnatural peace" in other words alliances with other countries to maintain the status quo.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 10:40:09 pm »
My wife's family is from Italy on both sides. Old world arranged marriage brought her parents together.

The highest priority was gaining legal immigration, so matching family social/education status took back seat.

Fortunately the women tend towards Melania Trump/Sophia Loren. In the brains dept. there are some Doctors teachers, a model,  and lawyers, too.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2020, 01:56:38 am »
Like Smokin Joe, I also attended both parochial and public school.   But my assessment is different than his.

First let me say, I think perhaps there are the number of Catholics on the Supreme Court for in part no other reason than coincidence.  That plus the fact that all these people are very disciplined in how they conduct themselves.  I do believe that was one of the benefits of attending parochial school, being disciplined.

In terms of quality, I thought parochial school was deficient to that of public school.  I grew up in a mixed suburb, having both blue and white collar.  In attending parochial school,  and I went there for grades 1 - 8, and there were no advanced math, no algebra, geometry, etc.  There were no languages to study but English.  There were no sciences like Biology, Chemistry, etc.  So in the sense of courses of study for one interested in learning, the parochial school was no contest to the public school where I resided in Pennsylvania.

My son, my oldest child, went from K - 12 in the public school, within the same community I grew up.  When he completed 8th grade, he completed Algebra I &  II and Geometry, he studied two years of languages.  I had none of this in parochial school.  When he graduated high school, he studied Latin for five years, he exhausted all math courses, all science.  He had 2 years of Biology, 2 years of Chemistry, Physics, and a number of college courses before he left high school.  I did not have the opportunity to study what he did and advance as he did with my education in parochial school.  And believe me, I would have benefited from that!

Bottomline, I think it shows that it just does not matter what religion one is on the Supreme Court.  It is the ability to think objectively and adhere to the Constitution along the way.

I agree that less ivy league education would be better.  Again, some diversity is not a bad thing.  Too much elitism in America to suit me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:58:04 am by jafo2010 »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 02:04:36 am »
Because Princeton doesn’t have a med school or a law school

But quite a few went there under graduate

@Gefn

My daughter graduated from Princeton/Yale Law and clerked for Judge Sandra Segal Ikuta of the Ninth Circuit (appointed by GWB)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2020, 02:25:10 am »
Born Again Christians are just to scary for the elites.

I think that is largely the fault of the NE bubble... The Bible Belt (or greater Jesusland) would lean more the other way

Offline bilo

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 03:13:24 am »
@bilo

I'm not one of the elites,and I find "Born Again Christians (or "born again" anything else) more than a little disturbing. Mostly because THEY are disturbing.

I never thought you found me so disturbing. Oh well, I've suffered worst rebukes.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 03:18:02 am »
I think that is largely the fault of the NE bubble... The Bible Belt (or greater Jesusland) would lean more the other way

Is it a surprise that the NE bubble is very liberal and the Bible Belt is conservative.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Absalom

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 04:15:05 am »
It's what you get when you get a third world (Communist) mentality in a position which generally requires first world enlightenment which was nurtured in light of the scholars and philosophers who developed those advancements. It is the difference between believing one should look after those less fortunate (voluntarily) and being required to do so (as in by the State). The latter mentality is more easily given over to the admixture of religion and secular philosophies which should be separate, hence the politics of the Holy See at present. He's no John Paul II.
------------------
Smokin, on the mark per usual.
Not only was Francis schooled/indoctrinated by the Jesuits, he matured during the era of
Juan Peron in Argentina, another in that endless list of hard left Latin depots that have
ravaged that Continent since the exit of Spain.
As has been self evident since his elevation to the Papacy, Francis never possessed either
the ability, curiosity or confidence to escape the intellectual prison of his upbringing.
His performance is testament to that reality.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 04:24:31 am »
I’m reading the “rise and fall of the great nations” at the moment by Kennedy. Highly recommended
@Absalom
------------------------
Most worthy.
Time permitting, read a synopsis of Gibbon's, "Decline and Fall....."  in the Britannica.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 04:28:06 am »
Frankly, the Romans became lazy. Bread and circuses more important than conquest.
It is the hungry who work hard to be more, and appreciate every gain, not the fat and pampered.
When Romans farmed out the protection of Rome, effectively paying tribute to the Northern tribes for security, they were doomed within a couple of generations.  That wasn't the fault of Christianity, but sloth.
------------------------
Smokin, fair enough.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2020, 06:26:10 am »
If they hold to our U.S. Constitutional Law and are conservative in their nature, I don't care what Christian religion they're from.

Stop this divisive bullshit already.  I've lived with, worked with, bled with and loved with many Catholics in my life.  Enough already.

Sharia type muslims, anarchists and all other non-peaceful "faiths" can just eff off...got no use for them.

In my NOT so humble opinion...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 06:27:19 am by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2020, 07:41:30 am »
If they hold to our U.S. Constitutional Law and are conservative in their nature, I don't care what Christian religion they're from.

Stop this divisive bullshit already.  I've lived with, worked with, bled with and loved with many Catholics in my life.  Enough already.

Sharia type muslims, anarchists and all other non-peaceful "faiths" can just eff off...got no use for them.

In my NOT so humble opinion...
:thumbsup:

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2020, 11:24:32 am »
------------------------
Most worthy.
Time permitting, read a synopsis of Gibbon's, "Decline and Fall....."  in the Britannica.

Oh yes, I’ve read and own a copy of Gibbon. It’s abridged and dogeared.  It’s actually on my bookshelf next to Tacitus, Suetonius and Graves. (I do like history. Roman history is fascinating)

@Absalom
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:25:45 am by Gefn »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 11:34:52 am »
@Gefn

My daughter graduated from Princeton/Yale Law and clerked for Judge Sandra Segal Ikuta of the Ninth Circuit (appointed by GWB)

@DCPatriot

Wow. Your daughter sounds like a brilliant accomplished young lady. I know you must be very proud of her.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 04:48:14 pm »

While that is not to say there are not those who were neither Catholic nor Jewish who could muster that combination of formative adherence to academic and/or religious discipline, it is not really surprising that those who were raised 40 or 50 years ago come from either of the two backgrounds.

@Smokin Joe

I agree,though I place a LOT more importance on the parental involvement than any religion. No religion can force a child to attend religious services,but the parents can.

Mine sent me off to church every Sunday,even though neither of them went. This worked until some time around the 5th grade,when I just flat refused to go anymore.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2020, 04:59:52 pm »

Fortunately the women tend towards Melania Trump/Sophia Loren. 

@truth_seeker

Ahhhh,SOPHIA!

Only she has the power to make me forget about women with red hair and green eyes!

There are mere women,and then there is a super power.

Offline verga

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2020, 05:01:29 pm »
@truth_seeker

Ahhhh,SOPHIA!

Only she has the power to make me forget about women with red hair and green eyes!

There are mere women,and then there is a super power.
Down tiger, time for that cold shower.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2020, 05:06:36 pm »

@SZonian

Only Christians are acceptable to you?

Stop this divisive bullshit already.

Uhhhhh,

I've lived with, worked with, bled with and loved with many Catholics in my life.

So have we all,as well as Jews,Mormons,Holy Rollers,and every other faith you can mention.

As well as those of no faith at all.

Enough already.

THAT I agree with.

Islam is NOT a religion. It is a police stage disguised and "sold" to the public as a religion.

BTW,The Catholic Church was also a police state at one time,before Martin Luther and a few other brave souls stood up to them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:07:47 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2020, 06:10:29 pm »
Oh yes, I’ve read and own a copy of Gibbon. It’s abridged and dogeared.  It’s actually on my bookshelf next to Tacitus, Suetonius and Graves. (I do like history. Roman history is fascinating)
@Absalom
[/quote]
---------------------------------
Not to belabor the obvious, yet as Nature is cyclical, History is our foremost
teacher; were we wise and humble enough to understand its message.
Sadly we are not, as our current political fandango affirms.
Franklin warned of this w/his admonition; "You have a Republic, if you can keep it."