Author Topic: Regardless of what Trump and Mitch do, the Democrats will (1) Eliminate the Filibuster, (2) Grant St  (Read 254 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Regardless of what Trump and Mitch do, the Democrats will (1) Eliminate the Filibuster, (2) Grant Statehood to D.C. and maybe P.R., (3) Expand the Lower Courts, and (4) Expand the Supreme Court [Updated]

It is a matter of when, not if.

Josh Blackman |The Volokh Conspiracy | 9.19.2020 7:33 PM

For some time, there has been a poorly-kept secret in Washington: as soon as the Democrats take power, they will make four power moves. To date, most prudent Democrats have refused to discuss these four moves aloud. But now with Justice Ginsburg's death, the cat is out of the bag. Jeffrey Toobin lays out the roadmap in the New Yorker:

The question is whether the Republican Senate will violate its supposed principles from 2016 to push one of them through. If the answer is yes—if Trump fills the Ginsburg seat—the next question will be how the Democrats respond. If the Democrats fail to retake the majority in the Senate in November, their options are few except to grin and bear it. But, if they win the majority and Joe Biden wins the Presidency, there are four major possibilities for retribution—which all happen to be good policy as well.

The first is the abolition of the filibuster, which should have happened decades ago. Even in the minority, McConnell will do everything he can to thwart Biden, and the filibuster will be the tool. This antidemocratic relic should be retired once and for all.
    Second, statehood for the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, with two senators apiece, would be another appropriate rejoinder.
    Third, Congress should pass a law expanding the number of lower-court federal judges; that number has not increased since Jimmy Carter was President.
    Finally, the greatest and most appropriate form of retribution involves the Supreme Court itself. The number of Justices is not fixed in the Constitution but, rather, established by statute.

more
https://reason.com/2020/09/19/regardless-of-what-trump-and-mitch-do-the-democrats-will-1-eliminate-the-filibuster-2-grant-statehood-to-d-c-and-maybe-p-r-3-expand-the-lower-courts-and-4-expand-the-supreme-court/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Which is exactly why those bastards can never be allowed in power again!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"Which is exactly why those bastards can never be allowed in power again!"

Bigun, I take it you're a wise old guy.
Having said that, you (who have spent a lot of time actually involved in politics, correct?) surely understand that the pendulum swings both ways, eh..?

It's only a matter of time before the democrat-communists again gain power. This could come as soon as 2024, particularly if the "line of succession" of GOP presidential candidates goes back to "business as usual" after Mr. Trump.

If a milquetoast Pubbie somehow succeeds Mr. Trump into the Oval Office, he'll be unable to fend off the attacks of the democrat-communists and be wiped out in 2028. By then continuing and irreversible demographic changes, particularly in Georgia and your state of Texas, are going to become a factor as well.

I can see it coming.
I don't like what I see, but I must acknowledge it anyway:
"After Trump... the deluge."

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Bigun wrote:
"Which is exactly why those bastards can never be allowed in power again!"

Bigun, I take it you're a wise old guy.
Having said that, you (who have spent a lot of time actually involved in politics, correct?) surely understand that the pendulum swings both ways, eh..?

It's only a matter of time before the democrat-communists again gain power. This could come as soon as 2024, particularly if the "line of succession" of GOP presidential candidates goes back to "business as usual" after Mr. Trump.

If a milquetoast Pubbie somehow succeeds Mr. Trump into the Oval Office, he'll be unable to fend off the attacks of the democrat-communists and be wiped out in 2028. By then continuing and irreversible demographic changes, particularly in Georgia and your state of Texas, are going to become a factor as well.

I can see it coming.
I don't like what I see, but I must acknowledge it anyway:
"After Trump... the deluge."

What I understand is that the Communists have accomplished their stated goal of taking over one of the political parties here and that party needs to go the way of the Whigs.  If we ever allow them to control the levers of government again this once great republic is done for. May be already for that matter.  We will soon know for sure.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

What I understand is that the Communists have accomplished their stated goal of taking over one of the political parties here and that party needs to go the way of the Whigs.  If we ever allow them to control the levers of government again this once great republic is done for. May be already for that matter.  We will soon know for sure.

If the GOP loses the Senate regardless if Trump is re-elected or not -- they will have control. 

I think we should all be angry that the GOP had a majority in both Houses for several years and didn't accomplish squat. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If the GOP loses the Senate regardless if Trump is re-elected or not -- they will have control. 

I think we should all be angry that the GOP had a majority in both Houses for several years and didn't accomplish squat.

That's on Mitch. He could have killed the filibuster rule, but didn't.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

We have indeed had Republican majorities in recent years but it's been a very long time since we had conservative majorities.  It really does matter who you vote for in those Republican primaries and the guy with the most money and/or the guy being pushed by the establishment is rarely the proper choice IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

That's on Mitch. He could have killed the filibuster rule, but didn't.

I blame Mitch for a lot.  He for a very long time sided more with the liberals than those in his own party and IMHO he's never been a strong conservative leader.  He has changed his tune a bit since McCain's passing -- I still wonder what McCain had on him.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

We have indeed had Republican majorities in recent years but it's been a very long time since we had conservative majorities.  It really does matter who you vote for in those Republican primaries and the guy with the most money and/or the guy being pushed by the establishment is rarely the proper choice IMHO.

Yes, voting in the primaries is important but unfortunately, the past several election cycles around here have lacked for conservative candidates.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

I remember screaming "NO! NO! HELL,NO!" at the top of my lungs as Newt and the Reps took over control of Congress for the first time in decades,and practically the first thing the fools did was accept the "conversion to Republicans" that many of the Dims did in order to stay in office,and began torpedoing every bit of "change" legislation the Republicans put forward.

Even *I* could see these were "conversions of desperation" in order to stay in office.

And what was the final result? The RNC let enough of the Dims into the party they finally had enough to toss Newt out of the Party,and it was all downhill from there.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!