Author Topic: McConnell's vow on Trump's Supreme Court nominee faces obstacles  (Read 959 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell's vow on Trump's Supreme Court nominee faces obstacles

By Alex Swoyer and David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Updated: 8:33 p.m. on Sunday, September 20, 2020

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has made a bold commitment to a vote this year to confirm President Trump’s nominee to fill the seat of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, whose death Friday has upended the elections.

The Kentucky Republican will have a tougher time fulfilling this commitment, though, than he did with his 2016 promise to block President Obama’s pick.

Two Republicans, Sens. Susan M. Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, have said they will oppose any effort to install a Trump nominee until they see who wins the presidential election.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/sep/20/mitch-mcconnell-vow-supreme-court-nominee-faces-ob/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mrclose

Re: McConnell's vow on Trump's Supreme Court nominee faces obstacles
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 02:28:50 am »
There is a big difference between a senator voting "No" or simply abstaining!

A vote of "No" adds to the leftist side while abstaining does not!

Assuming that the senate count is Rep.= 53, Dem.= 47, then the following are two scenarios.

1 republican "No" vote would add 1 "No" vote to the dems!
(Repubs: 53-1=52 or 47+1=48 Dems )

Abstaining is different and Should be how the RINOS decide!
(An abstaining vote does not add to the Dem. side)

An example would be: If 6 senators abstained, 53-6 that would leave the count at 47-47 with Pence as the tie breaker.
(Thus you could actually lose 6)

So it all depends on how they vote ... or don't vote.

I could be terribly wrong but that is how I understand it!?
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 03:11:58 am »
This I know.  Any Republican senator that think they will go unscathed by voting no or abstaining better think long and hard.  I am a Pro-lifer, and if my senator pulled that bullsh*t stunt on one of the most important votes in 50 years for the senate, I promise they LOSE their elections.  If they are going to continue to condemn the unborn to death when the one opportunity to undo a grave injustice of mass genocide can be righted, I say they never get elected again.

They have no choice.  They vote no, they abstain, I promise they lose their election, as well they should.  Might as well have a Democommie than a worthless POS in the office.  At least we know what the Democommies are about and their agenda.  Just can't trust these weak Republicans to support life. 

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 03:22:31 am »
Seems to me that Trump and the GOP figure they are going to lose in November...it they were confident in victory waiting until January would not be a big deal... :shrug:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 05:04:35 am »
Seems to me that Trump and the GOP figure they are going to lose in November...it they were confident in victory waiting until January would not be a big deal... :shrug:

You mean like RBG's confidence in victory and waiting to retire so President Hillary! could replace her?  If this taught us anything it's:  Don't screw with an opportunity to seat one of your own on the Supreme Court. 

Fill the seat!  (And then fill a few more during your second term, Mr. President -- Breyer should be next  happy77 )

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:16:06 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 05:59:45 am »

Seems to me you are an idiot.   But no big deal. :shrug:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:39 am »
You mean like RBG's confidence in victory...

No I mean like a campaign exuding confidence to the average voter....to someone not vested in never saying anything bad about Trump and the GOP this simply looks like a desperate move...with Trump's ego I'm surprised he would allow himself to be perceived as about to lose the election... :shrug:

One would think that picking a strong Conservative jurist that appeals to his base and then campaigning on that choice to get every single one of them out to vote for you would be more of Trump's style instead of tucking tail between legs and trying to beat the clock before losing the election... :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:08:10 am by montanajoe »

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 12:07:18 pm »
Obstacles or no, they still need to take a run at it, and make sure that every Republican that votes agaisnt it will be primaried.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 12:43:48 pm »
I am tired of worthless women being elected or becoming jurists, as exemplified by all 4 women to date on the Supreme Court and the plethora of Pelosi's, AOC's, Murkowski's and Snowe's.

We need conservative women to fill positions of power.  Barrett is as good as one can get to fill that need.

Let's do it and don't look back.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 03:35:06 pm »

@montanajoe

You wish.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
This I know.  Any Republican senator that think they will go unscathed by voting no or abstaining better think long and hard.  I am a Pro-lifer, and if my senator pulled that bullsh*t stunt on one of the most important votes in 50 years for the senate, I promise they LOSE their elections.  If they are going to continue to condemn the unborn to death when the one opportunity to undo a grave injustice of mass genocide can be righted, I say they never get elected again.

They have no choice.  They vote no, they abstain, I promise they lose their election, as well they should.  Might as well have a Democommie than a worthless POS in the office.  At least we know what the Democommies are about and their agenda.  Just can't trust these weak Republicans to support life.

As I pound my fist on the table I'm yelling at the top of my lungs,  :amen:
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 03:40:55 pm »

Nonsense. Nothing is guaranteed in an election and more importantly the Rats have made it very clear they intend to contest the results. When they do, we need 9 judges to resolve the issues. The last thing we want is a 4-4 decision. If that's the case how do we resolve who's POTUS?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »
Nonsense. Nothing is guaranteed in an election and more importantly the Rats have made it very clear they intend to contest the results. When they do, we need 9 judges to resolve the issues. The last thing we want is a 4-4 decision. If that's the case how do we resolve who's POTUS?
Exactly. The rats have been threatening a legal sh*tshow after November. I’d throw this appointment in their faces for that reason alone.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:31 pm »

Many conservatives think a Conservative jurist is also a political conservative and are disappointed when the judge does not rule the their way politically. The assumption that there would be an 4-4 tie and the new justice would make her first vote political and to favor the GOP is nothing more than rationalization put out there by a President and party that is facing almost certain defeat... :shrug:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 06:27:20 pm »
Many conservatives think a Conservative jurist is also a political conservative and are disappointed when the judge does not rule the their way politically. The assumption that there would be an 4-4 tie and the new justice would make her first vote political and to favor the GOP is nothing more than rationalization put out there by a President and party that is facing almost certain defeat... :shrug:
You sound like the one making rationalizations.  @bilo’s assumption is based upon easily observable conditions. I imagine most here would be happy with a ninth jurist devoted to the constitution and let the chips fall where they may.

Like so many others suffering from TDS your trump hate is clouding your perception of reality.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:30:33 pm by skeeter »

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:24 pm »
You sound like the one making rationalizations.  @bilo’s assumption is based upon easily observable conditions. I imagine most here would be happy with a ninth jurist devoted to the constitution and let the chips fall where they may.

Like so many others suffering from TDS your trump hate is clouding your perception of reality.

Exactly right.

A ninth justice means the odds of a peaceful resolution are better than with only 8.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 11:58:48 pm »
I am tired of worthless women being elected or becoming jurists, as exemplified by all 4 women to date on the Supreme Court and the plethora of Pelosi's, AOC's, Murkowski's and Snowe's.

We need conservative women to fill positions of power.  Barrett is as good as one can get to fill that need.

Let's do it and don't look back.

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 12:06:17 am »

@montanajoe

Desperation is never pretty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 01:30:27 am »

I've been thinking about that 4-4 thing a little bit.  If Ginzie was still there, that would come out to 5-4 against us.  4-4 ain't half bad, if the Circuit Court gets it right and the lefties need an overturn. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:39 am »
The Constitution, something Biden knows nothing about, invests the authority in the president and Senate to nominate and approve said candidate.  PERIOD.

Having an odd number eliminates the possibility of a tie.  It is no guarantee for outcome, as is evidenced by the number of votes by Bush appointee John Roberts, who has sided with the liberals and destroyed the Republican expectations of outcomes over and over again.

But mountainjoe, I do NOT understand how you think Trump fears losing and that is the ONLY reason to expedite the nomination through the Senate.  Clearly, you have never held public office.  When elected to public office, you learn to take nothing for granted.  You get done what you can, and you usually don't screw around.  I seriously doubt President Trump is overly concerned about losing to Joe Clueless. 

The possibility exists the Republicans could lose the Senate majority, and if they vote after the November election, the Dems might find an Obama or Clinton judge that rules the nomination is not valid.  The Dem judges are that corrupt, and it is possible the decision is not overturned.  I have had repeal judges rule with the decision not because it was right, but because they trust the idiot judge that made the decision.  I have ZERO respect for any lawyer, and particularly judges.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 06:10:34 pm »
[/quote]
-----------------------------
Intuitive, as the Electoral College numbers are solidifying w/weeks to go;
yet be prepared for a torrent of Fan Club abuse, which is infallible, of course.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:27:30 pm by Absalom »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 06:28:26 pm »
Seems to me that Trump and the GOP figure they are going to lose in November.
Intuitive, yet be prepared for a torrent of abuse from the Fan Club!

@Absalom

Of course it does.

Then again,you and wisdom will never be seen sharing the same stage.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 06:32:59 pm »
FUD FUD and more FUD.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 06:36:48 pm »

Intuitive, as the Electoral College numbers are solidifying w/weeks to go;
yet be prepared for a torrent of Fan Club abuse, which is infallible, of course.

I know...often reminds me of an echo chamber populated by 1st graders trying to outdo each other with fart jokes.. :shrug:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 06:49:08 pm »
I know...often reminds me of an echo chamber populated by 1st graders trying to outdo each other with fart jokes.. :shrug:

000hehehehe

You said "Fart"!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.