Author Topic: Suicide on the Trans-Black Express  (Read 82 times)

rangerrebew

Suicide on the Trans-Black Express
« on: September 16, 2020, 02:37:18 pm »
Suicide on the Trans-Black Express

Jim Goad

September 07, 2020

Jessica A. Krug calls herself “an unrepentant and unreformed child of the hood” and a self-taught “historian of politics, ideas, and cultural practices in Africa and the African Diaspora.” She is an associate professor at George Washington University, where she is described as “a historian of politics, ideas, and cultural practices in Africa and the African Diaspora, with a particular interest in West Central Africa and maroon societies in the early modern period and Black transnational cultural studies.”

She dedicates her 2018 book Fugitive Modernities: Politics and Identity Outside the State in Kisama, Angola, and the Americas, c. 1594-Present to her oppressed negroidal ancestors:

My grandparents, who gave me the best parts of themselves, music and movement and storytelling, the inclination to ask and the soul to listen. My ancestors, unknown, unnamed, who bled life into a future they had no reason to believe could or should exist. My brother, the fastest, the smartest, the most charming of us all. Those whose names I cannot say for their own safety, whether in my barrio, in Angola, or in Brazil.

https://www.takimag.com/article/suicide-on-the-trans-black-express/