Author Topic: The Atlantic calls to 'end the Nobel Peace Prize' following Trump nominations  (Read 943 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Atlantic calls to 'end the Nobel Peace Prize' following Trump nominations
'Peace had its chance, and blew it,' reads the tagline of the article
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

The Atlantic magazine raised eyebrows on Friday when it published a piece calling for the abolition of the Nobel Peace Prize after President Trump was nominated for the prestigious honor.

The president's name was submitted for the 2021 prize by Norwegian lawmaker Christian Tybring-Gjedde, who cited Trump's role in brokering a peace agreement between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Trump has since earned a second nomination from Swedish lawmaker Magnus Jacobsson for overseeing an economic deal between Kosovo and Serbia.

The nominations, however, apparently didn't sit well with the liberal magazine, which declared Friday that "peace had its chance, and blew it."

"If Trump wins the prize, it will be the fourth Nobel awarded for peace between Israel and its neighbors," wrote Atlantic staff writer Graeme Wood. "That will make Arab-Israeli peace mediators more successful at charming the Nobel Committee than the International Committee of the Red Cross, which has won three times in the prize’s 120-year history, but still less successful than my favorite, which is no one at all.

"Giving the peace prize to no one at all is a tradition the Nobel Committee should revive, perhaps on a permanent basis," Wood added. "The record of achievement of the peace laureates is so spotty, and the rationales for their awards so eclectic, that the committee should take a long break to consider whether peace is a category coherent enough to be worth recognizing. Peace had its chance, and blew it. The Trump nomination ... helps show why."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/media/the-atlantic-end-nobel-peace-prize-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

The "Atlantic" same news source that lied about Trump dissing veterans.  They aren't just fake news, they're despicable.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Any idiot can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Such a childish reaction. The Atlantic seems intent on making a laughingstock of itself.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Wouldn't the world be better off if we just ended the Atlantic?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Nobody I know has ever read the Atlantic anyway.

I thought it was an ocean to the east of us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11

The left are sore losers:

When Trump is nominated for a Nobel Prize, they want to end the Nobel Prize

When Trump wins the Electoral College, they want to abolish the Electoral College

When Trump appoints a new justice, they want to pack the Supreme Court

5:58 PM · Sep 11, 2020·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1304539828327940096

Offline libertybele

:yowsa:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RedHead

There are hundreds of people nominated for for the Nobel Peace Prize every year.  This is the third time Trump has been nominated.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There are hundreds of people nominated for for the Nobel Peace Prize every year.  This is the third time Trump has been nominated.

And he won't get it this time, either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: The Atlantic calls to 'end the Nobel Peace Prize' following Trump nominations
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 03:06:33 pm »
And he won't get it this time, either.

Agreed.  The only way Trump would ever win one is if he did what Obama did to be awarded his Peace Prize.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Re: The Atlantic calls to 'end the Nobel Peace Prize' following Trump nominations
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 04:00:47 pm »

The Nobel Peace Prize became a joke long ago; no harm would befall the world if it were ended.

But the accomplishments of the Trump administration in brokering an agreement between Israel and the UAE, and another agreement between Serbia and Kosovo, are historic accomplishments worthy of serious recognition.  Combined with his administration not committing the US military to renewed foreign campaigns, these agreements give Trump a record as a true peacemaker which is unparalleled, at least during my lifetime.

So I'll be watching for The Atlantic, the "mainstream" press generally, and the democrat party to now argue that peace is a bad thing.
James 1:20

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 04:06:53 pm »

Isn't it one of those crap magazines you only find in the waiting rooms of doctors offices?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 04:19:28 pm »
The Nobel Peace Prize became a joke long ago; no harm would befall the world if it were ended.

But the accomplishments of the Trump administration in brokering an agreement between Israel and the UAE, and another agreement between Serbia and Kosovo, are historic accomplishments worthy of serious recognition.  Combined with his administration not committing the US military to renewed foreign campaigns, these agreements give Trump a record as a true peacemaker which is unparalleled, at least during my lifetime.

So I'll be watching for The Atlantic, the "mainstream" press generally, and the democrat party to now argue that peace is a bad thing.

No one will argue publically that peace is a bad thing but you can bet your @$$ that the entire militar/industrial complex will do everything in their power to destroy it! 

It's much more difficult to sell military hardware when peace reigns.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 04:36:11 pm »

That's right... much like British knighthood, pretenders use it for cred. Cred it lost long ago.
Neither one means anything.

But the accomplishments of the Trump administration in brokering an agreement between Israel and the UAE, and another agreement between Serbia and Kosovo, are historic accomplishments worthy of serious recognition. 

That's right too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 08:59:39 pm »
Isn't it one of those crap magazines you only find in the waiting rooms of doctors offices?
Must be. If it is not too glossy, can be used for paper needs when I am out in the forest as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 09:22:04 pm »
Something occurs to me:  Do foreign leaders make deals with a President they expect to win in November, or did they choose to wait Trump out so they can get a deal with Biteme?  Seems to me these folks are casting the only votes they have, to keep Trump. 

There is no value in striking a deal with a President they expect to be gone come January.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 09:44:54 pm »
The "Atlantic" same news source that lied about Trump dissing veterans.  They aren't just fake news, they're despicable.
The Atlantic has become more like Mad Magazine than any kind of journalism or newspaper.
Doing away with the Nobel Peace Prize is really and actually something Mad would riff on.

BTW ... many people Right and Left agree with this idea. The Nobel Prize has become so corrupted as to be worthless.
Once they gave Obama a "Peace Prize" 15 minutes after he won the election for nothing more than taking a dump and being the right color, the credibility of the award took a huge nosedive. Several of the people involved in the award resigned after that. Because it was just stupid.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 09:53:55 pm »
The Atlantic:
Peace Prizes for me...
...but not for thee...!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 09:55:37 pm »
The Atlantic has become more like Mad Magazine than any kind of journalism or newspaper.
Doing away with the Nobel Peace Prize is really and actually something Mad would riff on.

BTW ... many people Right and Left agree with this idea. The Nobel Prize has become so corrupted as to be worthless.
Once they gave Obama a "Peace Prize" 15 minutes after he won the election for nothing more than taking a dump and being the right color, the credibility of the award took a huge nosedive. Several of the people involved in the award resigned after that. Because it was just stupid.

The "Peace Prize" is only one of several Nobel Prizes awarded each year, and the ones in the Sciences are still very much sought after.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 10:50:27 pm »

It was meaningless well before that... Arafat was also a "winner" of the prize. A well known terrorist on several fronts.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:43 pm »
Trump gets a second nomination for Nobel Peace Prize after Serbia-Kosovo deal

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-second-nomination-for-nobel-peace-prize

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 11:07:10 pm »
Trump gets a second nomination for Nobel Peace Prize after Serbia-Kosovo deal

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-second-nomination-for-nobel-peace-prize

"...The Atlantic calls to end Serbia, Kosovo, and deals."
James 1:20

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 01:06:41 am »
It was meaningless well before that... Arafat was also a "winner" of the prize. A well known terrorist on several fronts.
Yea, that was a funny one. They gave a 'joint prize' to Peres and Arafat together. They did that for two reasons. They did not want to appear to take sides by giving it to one and not the other. But most of all, they were not 'awarding peace' because there never was any peace before or after the award. They were trying to 'force' a peace. Because they thought by giving their prize the two sides would feel obligated somehow to keep the peace.

The famous 'peace deal' between Peres and Arafat lasted at most a few months if that long. Arafat thought the whole thing, the deal and the prize, was all just a big joke. He never ever had any tiny minuscule intention of ever having peaceful relations with Israel. The thing about Palestinians and Muslims in general is they do not feel bound by any truce, or contract, or agreement with Infidels. They will sign any damn thing in the world if it benefits them in the short term with no intention whatsoever of fulfilling their end of the deal.

It took Israel decades to learn this simple truth at some great costs. And Western Nations around the world still do not get it. It is difficult, not impossible but difficult, to make deals with Muslims because they as a culture have no compunctions at all of simply breaking any agreement and calling it null and void on a whim.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:16:52 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:28 am »

It's all wet, but I don't think that was what they meant.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis