Author Topic: Sen. Ben Sasse suggests repealing 17th Amendment and other changes to the Senate  (Read 458 times)

Online corbe

Sen. Ben Sasse suggests repealing 17th Amendment and other changes to the Senate

by Haley Victory Smith, Breaking News Reporter  | September 09, 2020 10:24 AM

Sen. Ben Sasse is making an argument that big changes are needed to make the Senate functional.

"The Senate in particular is supposed to be the place where Americans hammer out our biggest challenges with debate. That hasn’t happened for decades — and the rot is bipartisan," the Nebraska Republican wrote in a Tuesday op-ed for the Wall Street Journal.

Among the changes Sasse proposed was the repeal of the 17th Amendment. Ratified in 1913, the amendment ended the practice of state legislators electing senators to send to Washington. Instead, senators are now elected directly by the people.

"The old saying used to be that all politics is local, but today — thanks to the internet, 24/7 cable news, and a cottage industry dedicated to political addiction — politics is polarized and national," the senator wrote.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/sen-ben-sasse-suggests-repealing-17th-amendment-and-other-changes-to-the-senate
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It's way past time to undo this travesty.

When do we call the Article V convention of states to make this happen?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Longiron

Sen. Ben Sasse suggests repealing 17th Amendment and other changes to the Senate

by Haley Victory Smith, Breaking News Reporter  | September 09, 2020 10:24 AM

Sen. Ben Sasse is making an argument that big changes are needed to make the Senate functional.

"The Senate in particular is supposed to be the place where Americans hammer out our biggest challenges with debate. That hasn’t happened for decades — and the rot is bipartisan," the Nebraska Republican wrote in a Tuesday op-ed for the Wall Street Journal.

Among the changes Sasse proposed was the repeal of the 17th Amendment. Ratified in 1913, the amendment ended the practice of state legislators electing senators to send to Washington. Instead, senators are now elected directly by the people.

"The old saying used to be that all politics is local, but today — thanks to the internet, 24/7 cable news, and a cottage industry dedicated to political addiction — politics is polarized and national," the senator wrote.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/sen-ben-sasse-suggests-repealing-17th-amendment-and-other-changes-to-the-senate

Want to fix all of the SENATE and HOUSE put in term limits. 2 four year terms for SENATE and 4 two year terms for Congress. Problem solved. Think that is not the solution put the VOTE to the people on a NATIONAL Ballot? Probably get 90% or better voting for term limits. By the way that is the only way we have a chance of getting term limits. These POS politicians will never do anything for the people to keep America honest.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Want to fix all of the SENATE and HOUSE put in term limits. 2 four year terms for SENATE and 4 two year terms for Congress. Problem solved. Think that is not the solution put the VOTE to the people on a NATIONAL Ballot? Probably get 90% or better voting for term limits. By the way that is the only way we have a chance of getting term limits. These POS politicians will never do anything for the people to keep America honest.

It would have to be stwo six year terms for Senators.  IIRC their length of office is in the Constitution.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline aligncare

Without digging too far into the issue, I like the idea of repealing the Seventeenth. The constitution was authored by thoughtful, indeed brilliant men. Let’s go back to the original intent, before international collectivist ideas spread into American society and made ratification of the anti-Republicanism Seventeenth.

The old ways are often correct ways.

Offline verga

It would have to be stwo six year terms for Senators.  IIRC their length of office is in the Constitution.
Exactly
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline roamer_1

Without digging too far into the issue, I like the idea of repealing the Seventeenth. The constitution was authored by thoughtful, indeed brilliant men. Let’s go back to the original intent, before international collectivist ideas spread into American society and made ratification of the anti-Republicanism Seventeenth.

The old ways are often correct ways.

That's right. Foremost, the sovereign states are not represented. Everything is jiggered around popular demand.

The state would be much more immune to populism in it's deliberation.

And secondly, look what it does to the lobby. It would take 51 lobbies instead of one. That is a whole lot harder to do in the first place, and it puts each lobby respectively at the whim of things local to the state.

This would fix a whole lot.
Sasse is right, as usual.

Offline roamer_1

I will disagree. The problem with your thinking is that it removes the good senators from long service, and drives everything further into populism. Into 'now'.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will disagree. The problem with your thinking is that it removes the good senators from long service, and drives everything further into populism. Into 'now'.

Term Limits would further empower the unelected bureaucrats and lobbyists of K Street.  I don't like Term Limits on Presidents either, because that makes them lame ducks from the moment they're re-elected.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm all for repealing the 17 amendment but I seriously doubt that  it will ever happen now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Term Limits would further empower the unelected bureaucrats and lobbyists of K Street.  I don't like Term Limits on Presidents either, because that makes them lame ducks from the moment they're re-elected.

Exactly so!  And those unelected bureaucrats are FAR more of a problem than anyone elected to anything.

Besides that, why would I want to allow anyone to limit my options on who to vote for.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

While I agree wholeheartedly with you on the lobby (having said already that repealing the 17th would necessarily break up the lobby into 51 pieces)... I hadn't considered the presidential angle. And I find myself in rough agreement. I will have to ponder that.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
aligncare wrote:
"The old ways are often correct ways."

Yup.
Repeal ALL the amendments after number Ten...   ;)