Author Topic: Silver anniversary of a platinum night  (Read 500 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Silver anniversary of a platinum night
« on: September 05, 2020, 07:17:27 pm »
Twenty-five years ago tomorrow, Cal Ripken, Jr. broke what we only thought was baseball’s most unbreakable record.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/09/05/silver-anniversary-of-a-platinum-night/

Cal Ripken, Jr.  takes his victory lap after his
2,131st consecutive game became official.

Just how old are we getting? One Sunday, Tom Seaver, the arguable greatest pitcher of his generation, loses a cruel battle against Lewy body dementia with a little help from the coronavirus. The following Sunday, tomorrow, baseball in general and Baltimore in particular celebrate the silver anniversary of the record everyone thought couldn’t be broken.

Until it was.

If you don’t count his sort-of cup-of-coffee 1981, Cal Ripken, Jr. and Seaver played the same number of major league seasons. (Twenty.) Ripken’s place in baseball lore would have been secured even without besting Lou Gehrig’s consecutive games played by 502, thanks to being the guy who proved tall, powerful men could play an infield position once thought the domain of bantamweights while hitting ike heavyweights.

Do you remember consecutive game 2,131 in Camden Yards? Baltimore won’t forget, but a lot of people with no skin in the Orioles’ game might need a refresher.

Ripken played consecutive game 2,129 and hit one out. He equaled Gehrig the next night . . . and hit one out. On the night he passed the Iron Horse, the Iron Bird
turned on a 3-0 pitch from California Angels righthander Shawn Boskie in the bottom of the fourth—and sent it halfway up the left field seats.

“I gave him a great gift,” said Boskie after the game, with no malice aforethought. “I gave him the best gift he could get. It was three balls and no strikes. I felt like I had no outs. I didn’t want to walk a guy and get things started that way. At the same time, I felt like he might be swinging, but I felt like, Hey, I’ve got to take a chance of him popping it up or hitting a grounder. But he didn’t, so . . . Cal Ripken Day.”

The Orioles beat the Angels in that money game, 4-2. The sellout audience of 46,272 went at least as nuts at that blast as they’d go when the game became official at around 9:20 p.m. Eastern time. When Chris Berman, calling the game for ESPN, declared, “Cal Ripken, Jr. has reached the unreachable star.”

That was before then: We thought someone had a better shot at breaking Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak than Lou Gehrig’s consecutive games. This has been since then: We think someone will have a better shot at DiMaggio’s streak than Ripken’s 2,632 consecutive games.

It took them over 22 minutes to calm down to mere cheering and applause after that point. The Camden audience included two Hall of Famers, one of whom was Ripken’s manager for a spell (Frank Robinson) and the other of whom just so happened to have had Gehrig himself as a living, breathing teammate. (DiMaggio.)

They celebrated the elite middle infielder who’d retire as the only one among the game’s eight greatest shortstops ever to nail three thousand hits or more and four hundred home runs or more. (Alex Rodriguez, love him or loathe him, moved to third base when he joined the Yankees and fell short of the milestones as a shortstop.)

The elite shortstop who never acted like anything more than the ordinary working stiff, from the dock or the line or the shop or the store to the boardroom and the penthouse and the Lear jet, showing up to work every day, few if any questions asked, never thinking of delivering less than the best of whatever he had.

Unknown, uncountable millions of such working stiffs showed up to work every day for eons before Ripken and continue doing so. How many of them don’t just show up but excel and even transcend their jobs?

“People who don’t know baseball as big leaguers experience it,” wrote George F. Will, “say: How lucky for Ripken that he was never hurt. Actually, he has been hurt every year, but not hurt enough to justify, in his mind, taking a day off. What defines Ripken is his defintion of ‘enough’.”

How many of them did it regardless of such interruptions as the 1994-95 strike for which the players took an unwarranted public relations beating thanks to a two-thirds-cowed press buying all the way into the owners’ insistence that the players stop them before they overspent, mis-spent, or mal-spent yet again?

No single player decided his brethren should spend the final third of 1994 and a sliver of 1995 on the picket instead of the field. Fools who think Ripken’s streak should be asterisked because of the strike ought to be asterisked themselves.

When White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf—the owner who pushed the hardest to force the strike—celebrated its end by insisting he wouldn’t leave Albert Belle’s domain until Belle kindly signed a three-year contract paying him three million a year more than the previous highest single-season player salary, he exposed himself and every other owner who pushed hardest to force that strike as hypocrites.

Ripken running out the home run he hit an inning before 2,131 became official.

The Camden crowd almost couldn’t have cared less about such not-so-fine details on the Big Night. But they celebrated an awful lot more than just their own baseball icon passing the record of a past baseball icon.

Shirley Povich, the arguable dean of deans among Washington baseball writers for what seemed a couple of centuries, a man who covered Walter Johnson saving the Washington Senators’ only World Series triumph and the Iron Bird leaving the Iron Horse behind, nailed it best:

By acclamation, Ripken has won approval as a hero and role model. In Gehrig’s day there were heroes, like himself and Babe Ruth, but folks didn’t talk of role models and, anyway, they would have been hard to find. So many, like Ruth, were flawed, so many like Gehrig were nice guys but absorbed mostly in baseball with little time for the community.

For all his fame, Cal Ripken is homespun. On the morning of the day he would go for the record he said it was important, too, that he take his daughter Rachel, 5, to her first day in school. When the cheers in Camden Yards were at their loudest—”We want Cal!”—he asked for his mom and dad to come onto the field to share them. When he got those eight curtain calls and he took that victory lap around the park, he tried to shake every hand offered him. He was being more than cheered. This was adoration.

Indeed, as Thomas Boswell recorded, Ripken wore a unique T-shirt beneath his Oriole uniform on the record night. It said on the back, “2130-plus. Hugs and Kisses for Daddy.” The audience saw it when Ripken removed and handed his jersey and hat to his first wife and their two small children after the game became official and the thunder began. Rachel Ripken, whom Daddy drove to school that morning, couldn’t resist crowing, “See, Daddy’s wearing my shirt!”

It happened after Ripken lined out to end the bottom of the fifth, after the game became official in the books. He donned a fresh jersey post haste. Rarely a man of show, Ripken took about thirty curtain calls. Then he let teammates push him into taking that long victory lap around the park. Fans shook his hand. Umpires embraced him. Every Angel within reach who didn’t shake his hand bear-hugged him instead. Among the small sea of banners in the park read one particularly telling one:

We consider ourselves the luckiest fans on the face of the earth. Thanks Cal.

“My dad taught that ‘being an everyday player’ is literally every day,” Ripken told Boswell after he passed Gehrig. “My rookie year reinforced it. We tied the Brewers after 161 games. But we lost the last game of the season.”

Ripken’s devotion to his father’s devotion sometimes created issues. When the Orioles canned Cal, Sr. as their manager early in that notorious season-opening 21-game losing streak, Ripken was sorely tempted to leave the only organisation he’d known from his childhood to his major league playing career. He didn’t leave. His father probably wouldn’t have let him even think about it, but Ripken’s loyalty to the Orioles was the only thing equal to that for his family.

He led the Orioles in developing a gallows humour as that sad streak proceeded forward and successor manager (and fellow Hall of Famer) Frank Robinson did what he could with whatever he did or didn’t have. When a brand-new reporter covering the Orioles arrived in the clubhouse for the first time, Ripken beckoned him over. “Join the hostages,” the shortstop deadpanned.

“Ripken runs the risk,” Will observed, “of being remembered more for his work ethic than for the quality of his work.” Well. Ripken won two Most Valuable Player awards and both came in seasons described modestly as earth-shaking. His first MVP came in a season he helped the Orioles win their last-known World Series rings. His second, eight years apart (not quite enough to pass Hall of Famer Willie Mays for the greatest spread between MVPs), shows him earning the highest wins above replacement level (11.5) that year for any infielder, corner or middle, since . . . Gehrig (11.8) in 1927.

Only five position players in the post-integration era have two or more 10-WAR seasons, in fact. Cal Ripken, shake hands with Carl Yastrzemski (two), Barry Bonds (three), Mickey Mantle (three), and Mays (six). Ripken also became the first position player to beat Ty Cobb in percentage of Hall of Fame votes (98.5 percent to Cobb’s 98.2). Tom Seaver was the first any player to beat Cobb (98.8 percent), and his vote record stood until Ken Griffey, Jr.’s 99.3 percent.

Ripken led his league’s shortstops in assists seven times (he’s number eight all-time), putouts six, and double plays eight. (He’s number three all-time there.) Would you like to know the shortstop who’s hit the most home runs in major league history as a shortstop? It isn’t A-Rod. (345 as a regular shortstop.) It isn’t Ernie Banks. (298 as a regular shortstop.) The fellow who took that victory lap passing Gehrig for workplace attendance hit 353 of his lifetime 431 home runs as a regular shortstop.

Tomorrow, Ripken’s Hall of Fame credentials won’t bat as high in the order as the magnitude of what he achieved a quarter century earlier. If you think Baltimore won’t forget, you should listen to Ripken himself. YouTube’s made the game
available to a fare-thee-well, but the Iron Bird himself couldn’t bear to watch it again until last month, says the Baltimore Sun.

“For the longest time,” he told Sun writer Mike Klingaman, “I wanted to preserve the memories I had with my own eyes. I was afraid that if I saw the game as it was, that experience would ruin it. The night was so special that I wanted it to be my memories — and I don’t regret having done that.”

Ask him as Boswell did to name his greatest baseball moments, Ripken—a prostate cancer survivor now who works to raise awareness of preventative checkups, and whose foundation named for his father builds a hundred or more Youth Development Parks in Washington and in 26 states so far—will tell you without hesitation.

“Catching the last out of the World Series in ’83 is my biggest moment,” he says. “There’s a finality, a fulfillment that just hits you in that instant. But the lap around the park was the biggest human moment.”

It’s not that Ripken’s life has lacked for sorrow. He and his family endured his widowed mother’s kidnapping and swift enough return in 2012; his first marriage ended shy of thirty years in 2016. But his son Ryan has become a professional baseball player in the Orioles’ now-on-hold minor league system. And Rachel—the daughter who put hugs and kisses for Daddy on his record night’s T-shirt—is now the director of community service for Colorado University’s athletics department.

Two years after his divorce, Ripken married Anne Arundel County (Maryland) Circuit Court Judge Laura Kiessling. Her Honour changed her name to read the Hon. Laura S. Ripken. Her husband’s long-legendary longevity proves that, unlike some of those appearing before her bench, she won’t have to teach him how to avoid being ruled out of order or held in contempt.
-------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Hoodat
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@libertybele
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker
@Wingnut
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:09:38 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Silver anniversary of a platinum night
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 07:48:00 pm »
It took years, but as an avid Orioles' fan, I became no fan of Cal Ripken, Jr..

The Streak was a huge pain-in-the-ass for serious baseball fans.  No doubt, it cost the Orioles in terms of success on the field.

The Orioles went through something like twenty-five (25) 3rd Basemen during The Iron Man's tenure, even though those last 5 seasons saw a rapid decline in his range...his ridiculous side-arm throws from deep in the hole, even on the outfield grass, and his overall lack of discipline and any hint of a plan at the plate.

My proof?

His replacement, Mike Bordick couldn't hit worth a damn, but ended up breaking the Orioles' record of defensive shortstops and being elected in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  Shades of Mark Belanger!!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:02:51 pm »
The Streak was a huge pain-in-the-ass for serious baseball fans.  No doubt, it cost the Orioles in terms of success on the field.
I'm trying to fathom how one shortstop on the field and not a dog-meat bullpen kept the 1995 Orioles from finishing higher than third in the AL East.

The Orioles went through something like twenty-five (25) 3rd Basemen during The Iron Man's tenure, even though those last 5 seasons saw a rapid decline in his range...his ridiculous side-arm throws from deep in the hole, even on the outfield grass, and his overall lack of discipline and any hint of a plan at the plate.
Ripken also played next to 20 second basemen from his rookie season through the night he passed Gehrig, in case you were wondering.

Ripken played about the way you might expect someone past his age-35 season to play for three years after 1995 including an unlikely age-38 season shortened by an injury or two. For his final two seasons at shortstop he was about league-average for range at the position and still landed 400+ assists and 109 double plays. Considering his arm decline, I might have thought sooner about moving him to second base instead of third, but then I wasn't advising the Orioles at the time and his bat was still valuable if aging. Considering how often he played through injuries regardless, and you can certainly make an argument that he did himself or even the Orioles few favours there, I'd cut him some slack in that regard. It's not the Ripkens of the world who turned the Orioles into a first-class mess during the last few years of his career and for years enough to follow.

His replacement, Mike Bordick couldn't hit worth a damn, but ended up breaking the Orioles' record of defensive shortstops and being elected in the Orioles Hall of Fame.  Shades of Mark Belanger!!
Shades of . . .

(Ain't I a stinker?  wink777)

Forget how short Bordick's Oriole tenure was (he spent his first seven years in Oakland) and look at his entire career. Bordick was worth +69 fielding runs lifetime. That ain't Ripken (+181) or Belanger (+238 fielding runs), and the only shortstop ahead of Ripken and Belanger is Ozzie Smith (+239).

Bordick's 2002 was his outsize career year. (If you measure a defender's season by his fielding runs, Bordick was actually better in 1999, when he was worth +20 compared to his +18 in '02.) Mark Belanger had seven seasons in which he was worth +20 or more fielding runs including six straight (1973-78) in one of which he was worth +35. (Ripken? He has five seasons in which he was worth +20 or more fielding runs.)

The Hall of Fame that matters is the one in Cooperstown. Mike Bordick isn't going there except as a visitor. Mark Belanger would be in Cooperstown if he could have hit even just like Ozzie Smith, who actually improved as a hitter as his career went on, especially after he moved to St. Louis.

And don't get me started on the one member of the Orioles Hall of Fame who should have been put into the Orioles Hall of Shame, either. (Hint: it starts with a Paul and ends with a Richards.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »
There's a Gonzaga connection to this story. Lenn Sakata was the last man to play shortstop for the Orioles before Ripken started his streak. Lenn played at Gonzaga for a couple of years before signing with the Brewers.

Lenn lived across the hall from me during my sophomore year at GU. He was always fiercely competitive, and he didn't like losing, even when playing tabletop baseball games (it was 1974, long before the advent of computerized games).

On the field, he was a beast with a pair of the quickest hands I ever saw. He was a second baseman by trade, but had the ability to play shortstop when needed. IIRC, he played for several organizations over the course of an 8-9 year professional career.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 05:31:54 pm »
There's a Gonzaga connection to this story. Lenn Sakata was the last man to play shortstop for the Orioles before Ripken started his streak. Lenn played at Gonzaga for a couple of years before signing with the Brewers.

Lenn lived across the hall from me during my sophomore year at GU. He was always fiercely competitive, and he didn't like losing, even when playing tabletop baseball games (it was 1974, long before the advent of computerized games).

On the field, he was a beast with a pair of the quickest hands I ever saw. He was a second baseman by trade, but had the ability to play shortstop when needed. IIRC, he played for several organizations over the course of an 8-9 year professional career.
@Night Hides Not
You're not going to believe this, but Lenn Sakata has more fielding runs saved (+19) lifetime at second base than Alex Rodriguez has lifetime (+18) at shortstop. My best guess is that Sakata didn't get as much playing time as he could have gotten because a) he wasn't much of a hitter, and b) his teams needed better hitters playing second base which was Sakata's best position, and didn't exactly need backups at shortstop for such Hall of Famers as Ripken and Robin Yount. Sakata played for four teams in his career, playing his final two seasons as a spare part for the Oakland Athletics and the New York Yankees. He actually got into 135 games with the 1982 Orioles, but he had no prayer at shortstop after Ripken took the job to stay that July (Ripken had already begun his streak as a third baseman that year) and Rich Dauer still mostly owned the Orioles' second base job at the time.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:05:42 pm »
It took years, but as an avid Orioles' fan, I became no fan of Cal Ripken, Jr..

I would rather have this guy.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:09:28 pm »
I would rather have this guy.

Is that Boog Powell?   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 10:52:38 pm »
Is that Boog Powell?   :laugh:
@DCPatriot
It isn't the mayor of Anaheim, Asuza, and Cucuamonga, kiddies.  wink777

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 01:36:26 pm »
I lived in what is Rancho Cucamonga once.

40 years ago, when it was Etiwanda, Alta Loma and Cucamonga.

I lived in the Etiwanda part......

As for the game, I remember it well.
I think the article is, unfortunately, correct.
I say unfortunately, because now hi is remembered more for the streak more than his ability, and I remember comparisons to him and Robin Yount back then, before the streak.