Author Topic: Today’s older workers may see the first cuts to Social Security benefits  (Read 806 times)

Offline libertybele

I really feel for our children who have paid into the 'system' since they entered the workforce as chances are they aren't going to see a dime of what Uncle Sam decided to take from them.  Secondly, chances are they will continue to see the amount deducted from their checks for SS rise in order to help offset those already claiming benefits.

Today’s older workers may see the first cuts to Social Security benefits

Many young Americans say they don’t expect to get Social Security when they retire, but it’s the older workers of today who may see the first cuts to their benefits.

The Congressional Budget Office released an updated budget outlook on Wednesday, originally published in July, to reflect the impact the pandemic has had on the economy. In the report, the agency said the budget deficit will reach a record $3.3 trillion this year — and $13 trillion over the next decade. The national debt, which is projected to be 98% of gross domestic product this year, is also expected to surpass the levels of World War II next year, when it’s expected to reach 104% in 2021.

Among the numerous adverse effects of the current crisis is the steep incline in the expected insolvency dates for Social Security and Medicare’s programs, which are expected to run out of money in 11 years compared with the previous projection of 15 years.

The programs rely heavily on payroll taxes. The CBO expects reported receipts from payroll taxes to increase this year despite record levels of unemployment in recent months, but that will change in subsequent years, it said. Lower interest rates and price levels will also reduce the cost of Social Security and other related health care programs, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, which did an analysis on CBO’s updated outlook.

Still, Social Security is in trouble. The two trust funds that support the program, which pays out retirement benefits as well as disability and survivorship benefits, are already at risk of running out of money within the next two decades. With the impact of the pandemic under review, the CBO estimates the insolvency date for Social Security Disability Insurance to be 2026, and the Social Security retirement program, known as Old-Age and Survivors Insurance, by 2031. Medicare Hospital Insurance faces insolvency by 2024 if nothing is done to rectify these projections.

“In other words, today’s youngest retirees will face a sharp 25% drop in their benefits when they turn 73,” the CRFB said in an analysis about the CBO’s report. The cut is attributed to less tax revenue, an aging population that will inevitably claim Social Security benefits and trust fund assets that grow at a lower interest rate. ..................

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/todays-older-workers-may-see-the-first-cuts-to-social-security-benefits-2020-09-03?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

As soon as critical mass is met - that is, the younger (less white) salaried demographic - benefits to to older (more white) SSI recipients will be cut. Not before.

Its just the way it is in our new, diverse, tribalistic society.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ducky, just ducky. I have paid into that crap since I was 14 (half a century), and now they want to cut the benefits by the time I can draw them. Just give my money back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Social Security is and will remain in trouble because the Dims see it as a slush fund they can dip into in order to buy votes.

Cut it back with an unbreakable law that states that SS monies can ONLY be spent on people who have paid into the Trust Fund,and the problems go away.

BTW,somebody needs to remind the vote-buying Dims that it is a TRUST Fund,not a Slush Fund!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Ducky, just ducky. I have paid into that crap since I was 14 (half a century), and now they want to cut the benefits by the time I can draw them. Just give my money back.
It's gone. Long gone. Paid out to retirees before you—and no, it wasn't "stolen." It was borrowed against, then returned with interest from the general fund.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

It's gone. Long gone. Paid out to retirees before you—and no, it wasn't "stolen." It was borrowed against, then returned with interest from the general fund.
Oh? When was it returned?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Oh? When was it returned?
In every federal omnibus bill. The government hasn't defaulted on any of its bonds yet, so they must still be paying them—even if it means taking out more bonds to do it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Wasn't stolen?? What planet have you been living on??  Social Security is a MANDATED tax!! The government forces you and anyone else that receives a paycheck to pay taxes deducted from the wages that they have earned AND then at the end of the year you are taxed again if you have not paid enough.

Under the 16th amendment taxes were proposed in order to pay for war debt but it wasn't ratified till much later  and obviously not for war debt as originally proposed.  Ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

By February 1913, 36 states had ratified the change to the Constitution. It was further ratified by six more states by March. Of the 48 states at the time, 42 ratified it. Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Utah rejected the amendment; Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida did not take up the issue.

$$ deducted from your paycheck is supposed to pay for social security benefits and medicare benefits - BOTH are mandated by the government.  So ... if those $$ are no longer available to you to pay for those benefits than that $$ taken from your check is stolen.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:53:52 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

Wasn't stolen?? What planet have you been living on??  Social Security is a MANDATED tax!! The government forces you and anyone else that receives a paycheck to pay taxes deducted from the wages that they have earned AND then at the end of the year you are taxed again if you have not paid enough.

Under the 16th amendment taxes were proposed in order to pay for war debt but it wasn't ratified till much later  and obviously not for war debt as originally proposed.  Ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

By February 1913, 36 states had ratified the change to the Constitution. It was further ratified by six more states by March. Of the 48 states at the time, 42 ratified it. Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Utah rejected the amendment; Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Florida did not take up the issue.

$$ deducted from your paycheck is supposed to pay for social security benefits and medicare benefits - BOTH are mandated by the government.  So ... if those $$ are no longer available to you to pay for those benefits than that $$ taken from your check is stolen.
Precisely. All those I.O.U.s in the "Social Security Lockbox" aren't worth the paper they weren't printed on.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Do you really believe this Algore talking point?

THERE IS AND NEVER HAS BEEN ANY MONEY SAVED IN SOCIAL SECURITY.

The 'Trust Fund' is a lie.

IT IS A PONZI SCHEME.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Do you really believe this Algore talking point?

THERE IS AND NEVER HAS BEEN ANY MONEY SAVED IN SOCIAL SECURITY.

The 'Trust Fund' is a lie.

IT IS A PONZI SCHEME.

But a PONZI scheme the fedgov runs!  Don't YOU try it or you will get the Bernie Madoff treatment!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Sen Bob Dole when he ran for POTUS claimed they fixed Social Security and Medicare in 1984. 

I think everyone here knows the fix for SS and Medicare will happen only when the Congress has no choice but to act.

That will not happen for a couple few years, at best.  If Trump gets re-elected, I think that time line is extended further into the future.

I just turned 67, and I have not yet started collecting Social Security.  I would like to hold off until 70, but my current plan is to start when I am 68.5 years of age, assuming I make it that far.  I just cannot give up $150,000 in benefits to wait until age 70.  And I suspect they will lower payments at some point about ten years from now, by as much as 30%. 

Time will tell.