Author Topic: Grocery Store Magnate Sides With Democrats in Mail-Ballot Fight  (Read 473 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Grocery Store Magnate Sides With Democrats in Mail-Ballot Fight
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:15:20 am »
Texas Scorecard By Brandon Waltens September 3, 2020

Charles Butt, the billionaire H-E-B supermarket heir, wrote to the Texas Supreme Court, pleading with them to uphold Harris County’s plan to send mail-ballot applications to all registered voters in the county.

A Texas grocery store magnate is siding with Democrats, supporting Harris County’s plan to send mail-in ballot applications to all 2.37 million registered voters in the county.

On Thursday, the Texas Supreme Court issued a temporary halt to the plan, led by Democrat Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins, while the court considers whether to strike down the program entirely.

Opponents to Harris County’s plan argue that sending applications to all registered voters could cause voters to provide false information on the form, confuse voters about their ability to vote by mail, and impede the ability of those who are able to vote by mail by clogging up the infrastructure with applications from those who do not qualify.

Charles Butt, the billionaire heir to the H-E-B supermarket chain, wrote a letter to the court, pleading with them to uphold Harris County’s plan and arguing for more voters to be given the option to vote by mail in November, using fear of the Chinese coronavirus as an excuse.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/grocery-store-magnate-sides-with-democrats-in-mail-ballot-fight/

Offline skeeter

Re: Grocery Store Magnate Sides With Democrats in Mail-Ballot Fight
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 01:01:55 pm »
Seems most billionaires prefer the 'party of the little guy'.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 01:07:22 pm »
Mail-in ballot APPLICATIONS is ok, not blindly sending out ballots...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »
Mail-in ballot APPLICATIONS is ok, not blindly sending out ballots...

The Trump guys are encouraging in person voting like his administration depends upon it. They must see a real mail in sh*tshow coming.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 01:27:18 pm »
Butt-head knows people not eating out is a boon for all the grocery businesses.  Perpetuating the dim COVID-19 panic only helps his bottom line.

Love HEB, but might have to divert a few $'s to competitiors now. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:28:44 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 01:27:37 pm »
So they want to send mail-in ballot applications to everyone when these are the only voters eligible :

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

be 65 years or older;
    be disabled;
    be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
    be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

Online LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 03:00:46 pm »
I would boycott but I rarely go there anyway.  I just don't like the way the stores are set up on the inside, especially their Central Market concept that forces customers to navigate the store all in the same way.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 04:20:55 pm »
 Charlie ain't the same as Daddy
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 05:43:05 pm »
H-E-B is a fine store, my favorite grocery store.

Butz is a lefty, that's true, but not to the point of the woke people, telling me he doesn't want our kind there, etc.
Back when Rick Perry was running for Governor, he said he would but up "barriers" on the border, to stop illegal entry.
1 week after the election, he says "Not gonna happen".

Why?

H-E-B, being one of his largest contributors, like the low cost produce they could buy, if farmers could continue to hire migrant workers.
That put a stop to that.

So, yes, H-E-B would probably prefer an loosen the borders democrat to a Republican, but they did contribute to heavily to Perry.

Butz is a lefty, but I don't believe he is a 100% far left loon.
His dealing are mostly whatever makes H-E-B more profitable.
More people in the state means more shoppers, too, so there is that aspect.

H-E-B can be contradictory, liking the low taxes, and more companies moving to Texas as well, which would be a conservative stance, and again, what ever can help out H-E-B's bottom line.