Author Topic: Leonard Cohen lawyer considers legal action after RNC uses song after Trump acceptance speech  (Read 371 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm no lawyer but I once heard if you pay a royalty fee to a publishing company that owns the rights to an artists song then the complaining party can just go pound sand. 

A lawyer for the estate of late singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen said on Friday that legal action is being considered after the Republican National Convention used a cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" during a fireworks show after President Trump's acceptance speech.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/514238-leonard-cohen-lawyer-considers-legal-action-after-rnc-uses-song
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Tough shit, dead Lennie.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

Trump loves screwin' Canadians.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dancer

Trump did not use Cohen's version of Hallelujah.  Macchio sang a version by some women who did purchase rights from Cohen.  Can't remember her name.  She changed the rendition and words.  Macchio only sang parts of her rendition.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Serious question.

Isn't that song in the "public domain" by now,and free to be played anywhere as long as it is not played for profit?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Great song, either way this turns out.

It is on my departure celebration playlist.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Great song, either way this turns out.

It is on my departure celebration playlist.

Mine too.  Followed by CDC The Devil whent down to GA.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.