Author Topic: Claude Giroux: Flyers, NHL 'wanted to stand with' NBA, NHL's Black players  (Read 278 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
[snip]
"On Wednesday afternoon, news broke in the NBA of its players' striking in response to last Sunday's police shooting of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Blake was shot seven times and is now paralyzed from the waist down. As the news of the strike unfolded, the Flyers were in the thick of their 4-3 OT win over the Islanders in Game 2 of their best-of-seven second-round playoff series.

They were scheduled to play Game 3 the very next night Thursday at Scotiabank Arena. The game was not held. The NHL and NHLPA agreed to not hold playoff games Thursday or Friday in order to highlight the current societal issues of racism and racial injustice, a decision spurred by the Hockey Diversity Alliance and following the lead of NBA players.

"I think when the NBA took a stand, we all respected that," Claude Giroux said Friday. "We wanted to stand with them."

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/claude-giroux-flyers-nhl-wanted-stand-nba-nhls-black-players

Well then, the last sport I was following is now dead to me... :seeya: :seeya: NHL
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.