Author Topic: Failed Apocalyptic Forecasts  (Read 407 times)

rangerrebew

Failed Apocalyptic Forecasts
« on: August 29, 2020, 01:23:57 pm »

Failed Apocalyptic Forecasts

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

– H. L. Mencken

Academics have been forecasting doom for my entire life.  Needless to say, it hasn’t happened, as we are still here.

Glacier National Park ice free by 1948

29 Dec 1923, Page 5 – at Newspapers.com

Thatg prediction failed, so they changed the date to 1961.

https://realclimatescience.com/fifty-years-of-failed-apocalyptic-forecasts/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Failed Apocalyptic Forecasts
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »
Glacier National Park ice free by 1948

29 Dec 1923, Page 5 – at Newspapers.com

Thatg prediction failed, so they changed the date to 1961.

I happen to know those glaciers quite well... One of the games they play is to take pictures in the early summer to show a burgeoning glacier... And a picture in the late fall to show an horrible retreat that is pretty much normal.

I suppose one could say there has been an overall retreat - But that is largely explained by natural causes - Now that we are in a maunder minimum, I would predict the glaciers will be roaring back.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 01:38:53 pm »
Isn’t it in the Bible that only G-d knows when the day will be, and not man, or not even His  angels?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 01:43:11 pm »
Isn’t it in the Bible that only G-d knows when the day will be, and not man, or not even His  angels?

As an interesting aside, as a Jew, you should know the (holy) day that no one knows...  :whistle:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 02:14:08 pm »
@Gefn

That was true when Jesus first said it - he had not gone to Heaven at that time.  The first paragraph of the book, "The Revelation to John", Christ is now in Heaven and knows the time.  Christ appoints an angel to tell John what will happen at the end.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 06:08:38 pm »
According to the Mayans the world began in August 11, 3114 BC

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 07:05:48 pm »
But god only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:21:41 am »
@Gefn

That was true when Jesus first said it - he had not gone to Heaven at that time.  The first paragraph of the book, "The Revelation to John", Christ is now in Heaven and knows the time.  Christ appoints an angel to tell John what will happen at the end.

Thanks @Victoria33

The only thing I know for sure is that once you’re born, you will die. And if you don’t die in childhood, you’ll pay taxes.

Someday, our sun will die. Whether or not, in it’s death, it will devour our planet, we and all life on our planet will die unless we move to another planet. And if the sun doesn’t cannibalize our sun, it will fry earth.

At the same time, 5 billion years, The Milky Way galaxy will collide with the Andromeda galaxy. So our solar system could be gone from that too.

Since that’s in about 5 billion years, we might just be extinct anyway, or have evolved passed physical bodies. Who knows? Maybe the Shadow? 

I’m not going to worry about the above. Fascinating yes, but that’s really how it will end. All of it. Maybe this leads to another Big Bang, and it all starts again. I like that idea.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »
Are you discounting Greta Thunberg?  According to her, we have but about 10 years to go and she is the most expert person on global warming on the planet. :headbang:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 03:02:48 pm »
Are you discounting Greta Thunberg?  According to her, we have but about 10 years to go and she is the most expert person on global warming on the planet. :headbang:
@rangerrebew
@Gefn

Greta's parents say she is autistic.  Usually, an actual autistic child will center on one thing and stay with it to the exclusion of all other things.  Spending time with Greta would determine if she cannot think of any other subject.

It is usually hard to get an autistic child to look at you since he/she is in another world mentally and won't let you in.  I was called to test a young boy child about 4 yrs. old.  He would not look at me.  I had to bang my hand on the table, make a fairly loud noise before he would look my direction.  I kept talking and showing him items, slamming my hand down again to get his attention and that continued through my time with him.  Yes, he was autistic.

Parents brought a 5 or 6 year old to me (don't remember the age exactly), wanted to know if their son was autistic.  Along with their son, they brought a very large phone book and gave it to me, then the parents went to the lounge to wait.  I showed the phone book to the child, and he took it and with it closed, began to quote the phone book, name by name with address and phone number.  At home, he did that all day long, every day, and if he did not have the phone book, he would repeat the ones he knew all day.

With all autistic children, I had to estimate IQ based on info. from parents from the time the child was born, any problems with the birth, and how the child had responded, or not, from that time.  Can you memorize the phone book?  What level of intelligence does it take to be able to do that?

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 04:38:37 pm »
I have not heard she is a savant and if not, her being so knowledgeable isn't likely. :pondering: