Author Topic: Ted Cruz Didn’t Get a Convention Invite, but He Still Has Plenty to Say (NYT)  (Read 1468 times)

Offline corbe

Ted Cruz Didn’t Get a Convention Invite, but He Still Has Plenty to Say

Matt Flegenheimer  1 hr ago

Four years ago, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas delivered the most stunning speech of the Republican National Convention, conspicuously declining to endorse Donald J. Trump, his former presidential primary rival, and urging viewers instead to “vote your conscience.”

This time, well.

“They didn’t ask me to participate,” Mr. Cruz said in a phone interview from his home in Houston. “So, I’m not on the speakers’ roster.”

Amid the whiplashing loyalties and perpetual game theory of Trump-era Republicanism, Mr. Cruz is at once a singular figure — former antagonist, wannabe successor, current ally generally (convention lineups notwithstanding) — and perhaps the most striking exemplar of a certain kind of 2020 party leader.

He would like to be there for whatever comes after Mr. Trump, openly aspiring to run for president again if the opportunity presents itself. And like most Republican peers, he is not quite sure what will be there on the other side.

Mr. Cruz’s bet, as in his runner-up finish in the 2016 primary, is that ideological conservatism will eventually win the day, despite the manifest indifference many Trump supporters have shown toward some traditional stated priorities of the right, like controlling deficits.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ted-cruz-didn-t-get-a-convention-invite-but-he-still-has-plenty-to-say/ar-BB18oRCF?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

Four years ago, Senator Ted Cruz of Texas delivered the most stunning speech of the Republican National Convention, conspicuously declining to endorse Donald J. Trump, his former presidential primary rival, and urging viewers instead to “vote your conscience.”

This time, well.

“They didn’t ask me to participate,” Mr. Cruz said in a phone interview from his home in Houston. “So, I’m not on the speakers’ roster.”

Amid the whiplashing loyalties and perpetual game theory of Trump-era Republicanism, Mr. Cruz is at once a singular figure — former antagonist, wannabe successor, current ally generally (convention lineups notwithstanding) — and perhaps the most striking exemplar of a certain kind of 2020 party leader.

He would like to be there for whatever comes after Mr. Trump, openly aspiring to run for president again if the opportunity presents itself. And like most Republican peers, he is not quite sure what will be there on the other side.

Mr. Cruz’s bet, as in his runner-up finish in the 2016 primary, is that ideological conservatism will eventually win the day, despite the manifest indifference many Trump supporters have shown toward some traditional stated priorities of the right, like controlling deficits.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ted-cruz-didn-t-get-a-convention-invite-but-he-still-has-plenty-to-say/ar-BB18oRCF?ocid=msedgntp

Their loss. It's a shame -- Cruz has been one of Trump's best supporters (when he's felt he's right) and has stood for doing right for country.

Sadly, I just don't think we'll see him run again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:17:20 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

They missed their opportunity to let the man speak:

Asked in the interview to make a convention-style case for Mr. Trump’s re-election on the spot, Mr. Cruz cited the “remarkable policy successes” of the last four years, paused for 12 seconds, then set off on an auditorium-ready, fully-composed celebration of tax cuts, deregulation and the “historic economic boom” that preceded the coronavirus.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Love Ted's facemask - still think it was poor judgement on the Trump campaign to omit him -- yet they invited the Turtle?  Giant faux pas.

Offline corbe

I have admitted for the last 4 years that I suffer from Trump butthurt, yet no Trumper has ever admitted that Ted Cruz STILL pizzes them off, oh well.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LegalAmerican

This time, well.

<..snip..>

Because last time, even though, his speech was approved, TED CHANGED IT AND WAS UGLY TO Trump  candidate.....then went on A/F 1 to join OBAMA.   ONCE BURNED,  PEOPLE LEARN.    He cannot be trusted.  I still don't.
Ted knows....WHY.  It is a shame, you and media don't KNOW.

Offline LegalAmerican

I hope Ted does NOT run again.  I would not vote for him.  NO PRINCIPLES.   NO HONOR.

Offline corbe

So Sen Cruz went on AF1 with the obamanation?  Please send me some of what your smoking, I've been out for over a week  @LegalAmerican   
   Incidentally you prove my point that that your Cruz butthurt is worse than my Trump butthurt.   :beer:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I had to look this up. Of course he was representing Texas, which he does so well.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/ted-cruz-obama-dallas-air-force-one-225408

Cruz will fly with Obama to Dallas on Air Force One

By BURGESS EVERETT and SEUNG MIN KIM

07/12/2016 10:47 AM EDT

In a dramatic display of bipartisan unity after a horrific tragedy, Ted Cruz will accompany President Barack Obama aboard Air Force One to Dallas on Tuesday, the Texas senator's office said.

Cruz and Obama have long been bitter ideological rivals, with Cruz leading the charge to try to defund Obama's signature health care law and tank his immigration proposals — Cruz even confronted Obama personally about Obamacare in 2013. But the shooting deaths of five police officers in Dallas are bringing the president and conservative star together in the name of national togetherness.

Offline corbe

OPPs, I sincerely apologize @LegalAmerican

Offline dancer

Their loss. It's a shame -- Cruz has been one of Trump's best supporters (when he's felt he's right) and has stood for doing right for country.

Sadly, I just don't think we'll see him run again.
Would you trust him to give your speech after that betrayal if it happened to you?  I wouldn't. 
As for his new record, he beats feet to grab cameras to try to rebuild support he lost, not because he agrees with the President.

Offline dancer

I have admitted for the last 4 years that I suffer from Trump butthurt, yet no Trumper has ever admitted that Ted Cruz STILL pizzes them off, oh well.
I just did, corbe.  :)

Offline LegalAmerican

Would you trust him to give your speech after that betrayal if it happened to you?  I wouldn't. 
As for his new record, he beats feet to grab cameras to try to rebuild support he lost, not because he agrees with the President.

:thumbsup:

Ben Carson and Marco Rubio are not happy with what TED did,  to them,  either !  Just a bit too sleazy more me.

Offline dancer

:thumbsup:

Ben Carson and Marco Rubio are not happy with what TED did,  to them,  either !  Just a bit too sleazy more me.
:beer:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Ted Cruz wasn’t invited to speak at Republican National Convention
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 06:16:07 pm »
https://nypost.com/2020/08/27/ted-cruz-wasnt-invited-to-speak-at-2020-rnc/

<snipit>
Sen. Ted Cruz delivered one of the most talked-about speeches at the 2016 Republican National Convention.

This time around, he tells the New York Times, he wasn’t invited.

“They didn’t ask me to participate. So, I’m not on the speakers’ roster,” Cruz (R-Texas) said in an interview published Wednesday.

The 2016 GOP presidential primary runner-up told the paper that he “would have been happy to” speak at this week’s convention if he had been asked.
==============================================================================

For anyone else who doesn't  believe POTUS is petty and an unnecessary grudge holder...

What a strategy...   Using spite to keep the best conservative voice in the country out of the mix.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

Speaking slots are not rewards.   This convention is not to preach to the converted, but to convince those sitting on the fence.  On that basis, it's been a huge success.

Offline EdinVA

Speaking slots are not rewards.   This convention is not to preach to the converted, but to convince those sitting on the fence.  On that basis, it's been a huge success.

888high58888

Offline mountaineer

I don't think having a prominent Senator would have been the way to go. This convention is mostly highlighting ordinary people, as well as those traditionally taken for granted by the Dems, and there are just so many speaking slots available.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

I haven't watched a drop of either convention... I would of watched Ted though.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

OTOH..  What about at least one or two slots to energize the base? Two trains of thought, I guess.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

OTOH..  What about at least one or two slots to energize the base? Two trains of thought, I guess.

The fact that Ted struggled in Texas to defeat that loser, Beto, didn't help.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is the kind of story designed to get Republicans fighting each other.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Topic Merged.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

This is the kind of story designed to get Republicans fighting each other.

Exactly right.

Although the messages have been bedrock conservative, just about every speaker at this convention was aimed at an estranged voting block, most speakers who were elected politicians have been state level.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:19:40 pm by skeeter »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't think having a prominent Senator would have been the way to go. This convention is mostly highlighting ordinary people, as well as those traditionally taken for granted by the Dems, and there are just so many speaking slots available.

And FWIW, I think that approach is working extremely well!  Which is why the left is apoplectic over it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien