Author Topic: Green California has the nation's worst power grid  (Read 611 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Green California has the nation's worst power grid
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:40:19 pm »
Washington Examiner by Steve Goreham August 18, 2020

More than a million Californians suffered power blackouts last Friday evening. When high temperatures caused customer demand to exceed the power available, California electrical utilities used rotating outages to force a reduction in demand. The California grid is the worst in the nation, with green energy policies pursued by the state likely furthering reduced grid reliability.

At 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Pacific Gas and Electric, California’s biggest utility, began shutting off power in rolling outages to force a reduction in demand. Southern California Edison also denied power to homes, beginning just before 7 p.m. Shutoffs impacted a rotating group of up to 2 million customers until 11 p.m.

The California Independent System Operator declared a Stage Three Electrical Emergency, the first such emergency since 2001. Spot electricity prices soared to more than $1,000 per megawatt-hour, more than 10 times the usual price.

In 2018, 19% of California’s electricity came from rooftop and utility-scale solar installations, the highest percentage in the nation. But by 6:30 p.m. each day, that solar output approaches zero. The state lacks enough reliable electricity generation capacity to run everyone's air conditioner during hot summer evenings.

California has the least reliable electrical power system in the United States. It isn't even close. According to data by Eaton Corporation, the Golden State leads the U.S. in power outages every year, with more than twice as many as any other state over the last decade.

More: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/green-california-has-the-nations-worst-power-grid

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Green California has the nation's worst power grid
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:42:08 pm »
As Californians have frozen and baked in the extreme heat or cold, I hope they remember this November 3rd.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 09:45:14 pm »
In 2018, 19% of California’s electricity came from rooftop and utility-scale solar installations, the highest percentage in the nation. But by 6:30 p.m. each day, that solar output approaches zero.

If only someone could have predicted this would happen.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:56 pm »
If only someone could have predicted this would happen.

:silly:  Chuckle of the day...  nice job.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:32:27 pm »
And... California's cost of electricity is at least twice as high as neighboring states...

Costs more and is less reliable... Real technology leaders they are...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:56:23 pm »
Maybe someone should go back and dredge up the Enron story and determine whether it was California, not Enron, that caused the mayhem back then in prices and supply.

It could be revealing and maybe the wrong guy was charged and convicted.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:18:47 pm »
California May Have Had Big Role in Enron's Fall

NY Times By Alex Berenson  May 9, 2002

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/09/business/california-may-have-had-big-role-in-enron-s-fall.html

One of the deepest mysteries in the collapse of Enron has been the role that the power crisis in California played in the company's rise and fall.

This spring, as authorities focused their attention on the off-balance-sheet partnerships that Enron used to inflate its profits, it seemed that the question might be forever buried under more pressing inquiries.

Now, though, newly released documents about Enron's practices during the crisis in 2000 and 2001 are causing regulators and prosecutors to re-examine the connection. Some outside experts say they may find that California played a crucial role in the company's demise.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 02:27:15 am »
California May Have Had Big Role in Enron's Fall

NY Times By Alex Berenson  May 9, 2002

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/09/business/california-may-have-had-big-role-in-enron-s-fall.html
I thought so.

And I had always suspected it was the jealousy of NY WallStreeters who brought down the darling company from Texas, a place where companies are not supposed to be darlings.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington