Author Topic: Elon Musk’s SpaceX gets a stratospheric valuation in its latest funding  (Read 863 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fortune by Justin Bachman and Bloomberg 8/18/2020

SpaceX took in $1.9 billion in new funding this month and plans to raise more, capping off a busy period that includes its first successful human spaceflight, a launch for a satellite-based Internet service and work on a massive ship slated to carry people to Mars.

The company, founded by Elon Musk, sold the bulk of its planned $2.07 billion offering to investors starting Aug. 4, according to a regulatory filing Tuesday. SpaceX plans to sell another $165 million in equity and preferred stock.

Seventy-five investors have participated in the latest round of funding, which will value the company at $46 billion, Bloomberg News reported last week. That would rank SpaceX as one of the most valuable venture-backed U.S. companies.

More: https://fortune.com/2020/08/18/elon-musk-spacex-valuation-latest-funding/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Is he going to want this company subisized by the U.S. taxpayer too?  (Sorry, but I had to ask)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I know that.  But 2, 3, 4, a 1000 wrongs don't make a right.  The only time a subsidy should be allowed is if the product is questionable in  profit or value, but needed for national security. And I think that would make for a pretty small list.

Food, energy, transportation, arms making.

JS Musk has reportedly turned out Space craft & travel, for a fraction of time & money, compared to NASA.

Sure there are some subsidies, which seem to be unnecessary.

I get more exercised about media brainwashing people.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

JS Musk has reportedly turned out Space craft & travel, for a fraction of time & money, compared to NASA.

It is the government guaranteed loans that irk me the most.

If his venture is successful he wins. If his venture is a failure the taxpayers lose. Nice gig if you can get it...

It ought to be his and other investors money on the line with his gambles.

Online catfish1957

Point taken.  Just as I get all Rambo over tax dollar misuse, and Fed Budget deficits. 

Offline truth_seeker

Point taken.  Just as I get all Rambo over tax dollar misuse, and Fed Budget deficits.

Alt the above.

There are precedents. WWII planes, tanks, ships.

Space Race Defense-Aerospace

Even the film industry performed during WWII

These days I think we use food for relations abroad.

Online catfish1957

Alt the above.

There are precedents. WWII planes, tanks, ships.

Space Race Defense-Aerospace

Even the film industry performed during WWII

These days I think we use food for relations abroad.

Js...  Telsa now has a $350B market cap.  Time to wean Musk off the taxpayer teat, permanently.

Offline truth_seeker

Js...  Telsa now has a $350B market cap.  Time to wean Musk off the taxpayer teat, permanently.
Hasn't the market, in large measure, given that valuation?

If I was 40-50 years younger I would be  fascinated to be involved with newer technologies, just like when I teletyped into a mainframe, across the state, around 1971. Same at community college same year.