Author Topic: 'Simply unacceptable.’ Gavin Newsom says California rolling blackouts can’t happen again  (Read 667 times)

Offline Hoodat

'Simply unacceptable.’ Gavin Newsom says California rolling blackouts can’t happen again

Hannah Wiley and Dale Kasler   |   August 17, 2020 02:25 PM , Updated 1 hour 49 minutes ago

In response to a weekend of power outages caused by a heat wave of triple-digit temperatures, and ahead of anticipated blackouts through Wednesday, Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a stark statement during a Monday press conference in response to the crisis: this can’t happen again.

Newsom said as governor, he was “ultimately accountable” for the energy failure that left some households without power on Friday and Saturday amid temperatures cruising past 100, and that he’d now “take responsibility to immediately address this issue and move forward to simply make sure this never happens again in the state of California.”
But he said he wasn’t alerted until Friday that California was at risk of rolling blackouts.

~snip~

A fundamental problem is that solar power, which was generating a quarter of the state’s supply early Monday afternoon, dissipates quickly as the sun goes down. The ISO is nudging the state to postpone the scheduled retirement of a collection of high-carbon gas-fired plants in Southern California.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article245025785.html

Gee, if only one of these bureaucrats could have foreseen that solar energy production dissipates after the sun goes down.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Wishful thinking.

They will happen again, and there ain't anything he could do about it.

When one is chained on the nonsense of green energy, one suffers the consequences.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

NOW he cares?

Nah. Now he acts like he cares. He'll beat on PG&E for awhile, the usual, and thats the last we'll hear of it.

Hes a greasy fraud.

The wonder of it all, to me, is a majority of voters in blue states are happy with their leftist leadership and still think its all Trump's fault.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:22:43 pm by skeeter »

Offline PeteS in CA

As I posted in the Blackouts thread:

Oh for bleep sake! Bird choppers were proven economically nonviable and unreliable 40 bleeping years ago! When I moved back to CA in 1978 there was a bird chopper farm in the hills around Benicia. It is so steadily windy there that trees grow slanted. A few years later, government subsidies ended, the individual choppers ceased working and fell apart. Some time in the late 80s or early 90s the debris was removed. I think the bird chopper farms in the Altamont Pass area went through a death and resurrection cycle. The bottom line is that base load power - power that has to be there 24x7x52 - cannot be derived from intermittent sources like bird choppers and bird fryers. No combination of subsidies and mandatory buy percentages can alter that. Why is it hard to understand that?

The current incarnation of the bird chopper and fryer mania goes back decades, definitely to Ahnold-the-RINO and probably back to Davis and maybe even to semi-RINO Pete Wilson.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EdinVA

Bet he wishes he had all of his fossil fuel power plants back... lol

Offline rustynail

So says the Great Ozymandias.

Offline Hoodat

As I posted in the Blackouts thread:

Oh for bleep sake! Bird choppers were proven economically nonviable and unreliable 40 bleeping years ago!  .  .  .

The past three years, California has experienced a 30% decrease in wind energy output from July to August.  Does the wind simply stop blowing as hard?  Or is there some State regulatory action that happens that month.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Chasing Windmills is multi-faceted theme for this clueless Guv. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Bet he wishes he had all of his fossil fuel power plants back... lol

Or bigger hamsters to speed up those generation wheels.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

The past three years, California has experienced a 30% decrease in wind energy output from July to August.  Does the wind simply stop blowing as hard?  Or is there some State regulatory action that happens that month.

I haven't heard of this, but my cynical guess is that subsidies and forced % buys at above market price are insufficient for the government entrepreneur operators of the bird-chopper farms to repair bird choppers that break down.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.