Author Topic: California Suffers 2nd Day of Blackouts as Wind, Solar Power Falter  (Read 2590 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: California Suffers 2nd Day of Blackouts as Wind, Solar Power Falter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 12:22:33 am »
California Gov. Gavin Newsom: Time to ‘Sober Up’ About Green Energy’s Flaws
https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2020/08/17/california-gov-gavin-newsom-time-to-sober-up-about-green-renewable-energy-flaws/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 12:23:48 am »
Who doesn't like Pecan Pie?  Damn, just gained 3 lbs thinking about it...

I have a secret ingredient to a pecan pie recipe given to me by a chef many years ago when we visited the Marlsgate Plantation in Arkansas ... until I had pecan pie there I truly didn't like it. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 12:25:03 am »
I have a secret ingredient to a pecan pie recipe given to me by a chef many years ago when we visited the Marlsgate Plantation in Arkansas ... until I had pecan pie there I truly didn't like it.

Bourbon!    :seeya:

Offline DB

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 12:35:28 am »
The tech capital of the world couldn't foresee this...

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 12:43:20 am »
California Gov. Gavin Newsom: Time to ‘Sober Up’ About Green Energy’s Flaws
https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2020/08/17/california-gov-gavin-newsom-time-to-sober-up-about-green-renewable-energy-flaws/

Oh for bleep sake! Bird choppers were proven economically nonviable and unreliable 40 bleeping years ago! When I moved back to CA in 1978 there was a bird chopper farm in the hills around Benicia. It is so steadily windy there that trees grow slanted. A few years later, government subsidies ended, the individual choppers ceased working and fell apart. Some time in the late 80s or early 90s the debris was removed. I think the bird chopper farms in the Altamont Pass area went through a death and resurrection cycle. The bottom line is that base load power - power that has to be there 24x7x52 - cannot be derived from intermittent sources like bird choppers and bird fryers. No combination of subsidies and mandatory buy percentages can alter that. Why is it hard to understand that?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2020, 12:49:53 am »
Why is it hard to understand that?

Math. And reality.  :shrug: :whistle:

Offline DB

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2020, 01:12:49 am »
Oh for bleep sake! Bird choppers were proven economically nonviable and unreliable 40 bleeping years ago! When I moved back to CA in 1978 there was a bird chopper farm in the hills around Benicia. It is so steadily windy there that trees grow slanted. A few years later, government subsidies ended, the individual choppers ceased working and fell apart. Some time in the late 80s or early 90s the debris was removed. I think the bird chopper farms in the Altamont Pass area went through a death and resurrection cycle. The bottom line is that base load power - power that has to be there 24x7x52 - cannot be derived from intermittent sources like bird choppers and bird fryers. No combination of subsidies and mandatory buy percentages can alter that. Why is it hard to understand that?

The simple truth is you have to build enough power generation for twice the capacity you need so that you have reliable backup for the other unreliable half. So you pay at least twice as much as it would otherwise cost to power the electrical grid. All for the fantasy they're saving the planet. Everyone in the state has a lower standard of living as a result.

Here in Arizona electricity is much less than half the cost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2020, 01:19:00 am »
The simple truth is you have to build enough power generation for twice the capacity you need so that you have reliable backup for the other unreliable half. So you pay at least twice as much as it would otherwise cost to power the electrical grid. All for the fantasy they're saving the planet. Everyone in the state has a lower standard of living as a result.

Here in Arizona electricity is much less than half the cost.

We had it made here till Rosciot came along... ALL the dams here fed here first. When our electrical needs were satisfied, THEN the rest was sold to the grid. Rosciot (R, Governor) got rid of that and we went from 25 bucks a month to 50, overnight.

Offline DB

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 01:19:27 am »
California's Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant is scheduled to be decommissioned in the next few years.

It supplies over 8% of California's electricity.

The state's environmental demands have driven it to close.

The state deserves the coming consequences.

Offline DB

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:05 am »
We had it made here till Rosciot came along... ALL the dams here fed here first. When our electrical needs were satisfied, THEN the rest was sold to the grid. Rosciot (R, Governor) got rid of that and we went from 25 bucks a month to 50, overnight.

Before I moved from California to Arizona my average monthly electric bill was about $700. It went to about $180 in Arizona. And that's with summers that require the A/C run night and day.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 01:58:45 am »
Before I moved from California to Arizona my average monthly electric bill was about $700. It went to about $180 in Arizona. And that's with summers that require the A/C run night and day.

Yeah.. I'll stay up here.  :beer:
The difference is made in the winter... When I pay through the nose.... But I really don't. I just pick up a cord now and then through the summer when I am up in the woods anyway, so all it really costs me is the saw gas and the permit. And half the time I am clearing snags on private land, which is free.

2, maybe 3 cord, or I have to pay for Nat Gas.

Once I am settled up in the sticks, I will be making my own electricity (60 ft drop in a waterfall, pipe, turbine... and solar too probably), and I can pull snags out of my own land with the tractor... Once all that is set up, power and heat is dang near free.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 02:53:17 am »
There's that...

I figure we're not gonna catch a break as CA "refugees" for a while once we move into a more conservative location, until we earn/prove our creds.

I suppose it's only natural for locals to presume someone coming from a "progressive" state are themselves progressive...
We have seen it all too often. If you do bug out, stop somewhere safe along the way and put some Trump Stickers on the bumper and an NRA decal in the window, and things will go easier for you.  :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 03:35:53 am »
We have seen it all too often. If you do bug out, stop somewhere safe along the way and put some Trump Stickers on the bumper and an NRA decal in the window, and things will go easier for you.  :laugh:

LOL! That's right... And work on a southern or western drawl...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2020, 07:37:11 am »
LOL! That's right... And work on a southern or western drawl...
There is an expression when someone looks around in spaces like The Big Empty and the plains East of there, that furtive look that betrays the desire to find something, anything to hide behind, that is unmistakable (and, I might add, amusing). It's a different face than the one seen on mountaintops taking in the view, rather instead a betrayal of a feeling of being small and naked before nature's fury...  It's something that takes time to accept, to look at a night sky and get the feeling you could fall off the planet into the vastness of all those stars in the universe beyond. 

But once you do, something changes. Sufficiently humbled, with all of this put in perspective, there is the realization that there is so much more than even the pettiness of people and their squabbles to be king of their particular dungheap, and you're left content to have a few friends you'd run the river with, and be comfortable in your own skin, so long as you are at peace with Almighty God.

Of course, there are those who flee at the first opportunity, but perhaps that's just as well.

Robert Service said it well:

I’ve stood in some mighty-mouthed hollow
   That’s plumb-full of hush to the brim;
I’ve watched the big, husky sun wallow
   In crimson and gold, and grow dim,
Till the moon set the pearly peaks gleaming,
   And the stars tumbled out, neck and crop;
And I’ve thought that I surely was dreaming,
   With the peace o’ the world piled on top.

The Spell of the Yukon
By Robert W. Service
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:41:18 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
Not a matter of "If", but when...momma surprised me yesterday asking how much longer we had to stay.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2020, 05:38:22 pm »
There is an expression when someone looks around in spaces like The Big Empty and the plains East of there, that furtive look that betrays the desire to find something, anything to hide behind, that is unmistakable (and, I might add, amusing). It's a different face than the one seen on mountaintops taking in the view, rather instead a betrayal of a feeling of being small and naked before nature's fury...  It's something that takes time to accept, to look at a night sky and get the feeling you could fall off the planet into the vastness of all those stars in the universe beyond. 

But once you do, something changes. Sufficiently humbled, with all of this put in perspective, there is the realization that there is so much more than even the pettiness of people and their squabbles to be king of their particular dungheap, and you're left content to have a few friends you'd run the river with, and be comfortable in your own skin, so long as you are at peace with Almighty God.

Of course, there are those who flee at the first opportunity, but perhaps that's just as well.

Robert Service said it well:
The Spell of the Yukon
By Robert W. Service

Excellent post. Excellent!
Though for me of course, the mountain top provides that humility... Standing on a mountain with ridge after ridge after ridge as far as the eye can see in all directions... One is so very tiny, even striding in the grandeur to get to that place that it boggles the mind to know that grandeur, as magnificent as it was, goes on and on and on.

And the obstacles overcome, and the dangers averted... It turns out they are but a pittance, because they too go on and on. One becomes incredibly small. Why then do I matter so much to Yah, as insignificant as I am in the face of it all? I can only direct you to something I posted earlier...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,411715.msg2270488.html#msg2270488

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2020, 05:57:16 am »
Excellent post. Excellent!
Though for me of course, the mountain top provides that humility... Standing on a mountain with ridge after ridge after ridge as far as the eye can see in all directions... One is so very tiny, even striding in the grandeur to get to that place that it boggles the mind to know that grandeur, as magnificent as it was, goes on and on and on.

And the obstacles overcome, and the dangers averted... It turns out they are but a pittance, because they too go on and on. One becomes incredibly small. Why then do I matter so much to Yah, as insignificant as I am in the face of it all? I can only direct you to something I posted earlier...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,411715.msg2270488.html#msg2270488
I saw that on the way to this thread. What a magnificent version of How Great Thou Art! (Thanks for posting that!)

C S Lewis