Author Topic: Obit for a genuine American hero.  (Read 741 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Obit for a genuine American hero.
« on: August 16, 2020, 01:33:34 am »
Melvin Hill
August 12, 2020 (Age 81)
Macon, Georgia
Special Forces / MACV-SOG

Word has been received that Melvin 'Sleepy' Hill passed away on or about August 12th, 2020. Awaiting obituary or more details.

Melvin Hill was born March 26, 1939 in Brooklyn, New York and joined the Army in 1955. During his career he served with

18th Regimental Combat Team (Airborne)
Airborne School - HALO instructor,
Special Forces (joined in 1964)
MAV-SOG (Two tours)

After his retirement Mel worked at the US General Services Administration, Washington,D.C. for 14 years.

Melvin Hill served two tours in Vietnam. His first tour was in 1966 with MACV-SOG, Khe Sanh, RVN, Spike Team Oklahoma. He returned in 1970 to MACV-SOG, Command and Control North (CCN), Recon Company, Recon Team Florida.

Melvin was the team leader for the first MACV-SOG, High Altitude Low Opening (HALO), Combat Jump. He was awarded the Silver Star for that HALO jump (28 November 1970).

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 8, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Sergeant First Class Melvin Hill, United States Army, for gallantry in action on 28 November 1970, while serving as Team Leader of a Combined Reconnaissance Team, Republic of Vietnam. At 0200 hours Sergeant Hill fearlessly led his team from the tail gate of a C-130 aircraft at an altitude of 17,000 feet on the first free fall into hostile territory in the history of the United States Army. This awesome free fall carried him through two cloud layers and light rain to penetrate deep in the enemy's rear area. The team landed in rugged terrain, but, due to the intensive training and rehearsal conducted by Sergeant Hill, sustained no injuries. Having cached their parachutes, the team moved through the high-threat area toward their target to accomplish their reconnaissance mission. During their five-day stay behind enemy lines, the team gathered sufficient hard intelligence to mark this mission a success. As a result of Sergeant Hill's training, motivation and fearless leadership, his team was able to accomplish a harrowing mission which testifies to his courage and moral fiber. Sergeant First Class Hill's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army and reflects great credit upon himself and the military service.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obit for a genuine American hero.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 01:38:08 am »
I will fill in the details of his funeral as soon as they are published,and post them here in case any of you want to attend. He died with no immediate family other than his sister,and she is also old and feeble.

He WILL be well-represented by both former and current SF members,though. Trust me on this.

I got word of his death off the Old Man Clan of the Special Forces web page. 
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:48:12 am »
 :patriot:

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:07:59 am »
   I went to the Tabacco/Licker store this morning and was wondering why such a crowd was gathered downtown w/US Flags.  It turns out one of the Marines lost last week in the amphibious accident in California was one of our very own and was being welcomed Home.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 04:31:28 am »
Oh that people would take our brave men of valor, that lay down their lives in hostile lands that we may enjoy the fruits of freedom.  Heroic men fight and die and democrats throw away their sacrifice and efforts like it was nothing.  I still apologise to Vietnam Vets when i see them out for how they, our veterans were so unjustly treated.
 After the war the left stopped calling our veterans baby killers, then democrats went into baby killing in earnest, untold millions.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 08:12:44 am »
Oh that people would take our brave men of valor, that lay down their lives in hostile lands that we may enjoy the fruits of freedom.  Heroic men fight and die and democrats throw away their sacrifice and efforts like it was nothing.  I still apologise to Vietnam Vets when i see them out for how they, our veterans were so unjustly treated.
 After the war the left stopped calling our veterans baby killers, then democrats went into baby killing in earnest, untold millions.
Ironic, how the Left is often engaged in the very wrongs it accuses others of.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 01:46:40 pm »
   I went to the Tabacco/Licker store this morning and was wondering why such a crowd was gathered downtown w/US Flags.  It turns out one of the Marines lost last week in the amphibious accident in California was one of our very own and was being welcomed Home.

May he rest in peace! 

"Most people die wondering if they have made a difference. U.S. Marines don't have that problem!"

Ronald Wilson Reagan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 04:33:03 am »
Ronald Reagan was right with the quote above.  I have a number of friends that are Marines, and their mindset is to be revered.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 04:36:09 am »

Well, that's all good and all... But you get Tobacco and Likker in the SAME STORE?

That's mighty convenient, right there.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 04:38:26 am »

Correct.

RIP  MELVIN HILL.  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 04:41:34 am »
Ironic, how the Left is often engaged in the very wrongs it accuses others of.

:thumbsup:

R.I.P...MELVIN HILL! 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 04:44:32 am »
Oh. Just noticed the date.  Still the same wishes and respect for MELVIN HILL!   "King of the Hill'.