Author Topic: On This Day: Woodstock opens at New York farm  (Read 517 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
On This Day: Woodstock opens at New York farm
« on: August 15, 2020, 06:45:46 pm »
On Aug.15, 1969, the Woodstock Music and Arts Festival, often described as a landmark counterculture event, opened on Max Yasgur's farm near Bethel, N.Y., drawing an estimated 400,000 people for three days of music.
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/2020/08/15/On-This-Day-Woodstock-opens-at-New-York-farm/4361597157071/

Held during Hong Kong flu pandemic global outbreak of influenza that originated in China in July 1968 and lasted until 1969–70. No Lockdown. No panic. No Fauci.

The 1968 flu pandemic caused illness of varying degrees of severity in different populations. For example, whereas illness was diffuse and affected only small numbers of people in Japan, it was widespread and deadly in the United States. Infection caused upper respiratory symptoms typical of influenza and produced symptoms of chills, fever, and muscle pain and weakness. These symptoms usually persisted for between four and six days. The highest levels of mortality were associated with the most susceptible groups, namely infants and the elderly. Although a vaccine was developed against the virus, it became available only after the pandemic had peaked in many countries.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Re: On This Day: Woodstock opens at New York farm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 06:56:43 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 07:51:11 pm »
I was stationed at Indianapolis then.

We went to a concert at Indiana Lakes or Beach.

Either the same weekend as Woodstock or an adjacent weekend.

Big Talent, like Credence.

Long hot day and night driving through hot, humid miles of flat terrain with CORN, CORN.

The music of those days was excellent.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 08:01:49 pm »
I was stationed at Indianapolis then.

We went to a concert at Indiana Lakes or Beach.

Either the same weekend as Woodstock or an adjacent weekend.

Big Talent, like Credence.

Long hot day and night driving through hot, humid miles of flat terrain with CORN, CORN.

The music of those days was excellent.

Absolutely!  The raw extreme talent was unbelievable and IMHO there has never been a musical generation more talented  -- CCR, Joplin, Hendrix, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Santana, Blood Sweat & Tears... and many more!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 08:17:32 pm »
Absolutely!  The raw extreme talent was unbelievable and IMHO there has never been a musical generation more talented  -- CCR, Joplin, Hendrix, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Santana, Blood Sweat & Tears... and many more!

Woodstock mostly USA domestic acts.

Add British invasion from the preceeding years, and the fact many still perform-well !!.

A couple of years later the Allman Bros & others would crank up Southern rock.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 08:32:45 pm »
Ah yes Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll..................................not necessarily in that order and let us not forget OD's and parting gifts of VD's a wonderful time in America!

Just Kiddin

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 10:23:34 pm »
Somewhere in the pic in post 1, sitting pretty much in the middle and not very far back from the stage, is... me.

That's Swami Satchidananda and his entourage who opened the festival Friday afternoon, behind schedule. If I remember correctly, Richie Havens came on next as the first performer.

I had gone for my draft physical Thursday, and come up to the area Thursday night. We stayed about 3/4 mile away in a field, then migrated to a relatively empty area not far from the stage, across a stone wall from the makeshift "hospital".

It didn't rain at all until early Saturday morning... light drizzle.
The heavy rain came Sunday afternoon...got soaked and we left a little while afterwards.

I still have the original ticket (paid $17 for it, I think) and an original staff t-shirt that I got some guy in the hospital to sell me...!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 10:49:09 pm »
Ah yes Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll..................................not necessarily in that order and let us not forget OD's and parting gifts of VD's a wonderful time in America!
I suspect they didn't even notice that they'd come down with the flu, between the STDs and the bad trips.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:37 pm »
I was "into" Richie Havens, before Woodstock.

a great songwriter, performer.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:06 pm »