Author Topic: Jobless claims fall below 1 million for first time since start of coronavirus pandemic  (Read 387 times)

Offline libertybele

While this seems like good news at first glance, I can't help but wonder how many have given or haven't been counted because they've been unable to sign up due to faulty unemployment computer systems?

Jobless claims fall below 1 million for first time since start of coronavirus pandemic

The numbers: Initial jobless claims fell below 1 million in August for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began almost five months ago, signaling a steady if slow revival in a battered U.S. labor market.

New applications for unemployment benefits, a rough gauge of layoffs, declined to 963,000 last week from 1.19 million at the end of July, the Labor Department said Thursday.

It was the second straight large decline, raising questions about whether the end of a temporary $600 federal unemployment stipend prompted more people to return to work or start looking for jobs again. New claims have tumbled by almost 500,000 in the past two weeks.

Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast 1.08 million new claims in the seven days ended Aug. 8. These seasonally adjusted figures reflect applications filed the traditional way through state unemployment offices............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/jobless-claims-fall-below-1-million-for-first-time-since-start-of-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-08-13?&mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I am thinking / hoping this is good news vs. a stat glitch.  Aren't  umemployment benefits typically available for 6 months?  That would seem to cover folks until late September. 

I really think we are seeing a slow but steady return to normalcy via work, and add the fact Americans are ingenious in working around adverstity for the most part.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.