Author Topic: Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020  (Read 1210 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:26:33 am »
Ammoland by Harold Hutchison 8/11/2020

Below the Radar: Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020

“Ghost guns” have become one of the boogeymen that many anti-Second Amendment extremists are hyping. One of the major reasons has been the development of 3D printing and the increasing popularity of the unfinished receivers. For Second Amendment supporters, the technological advances are exciting – they could make it easier to exercise our constitutional rights.

Those developments, though, are intolerable to anti-Second Amendment extremists. If that technology were to spread – and things like 3D printers and CNC machines are getting cheaper, and thus, more accessible to the public. If that were to happen, enforcing gun bans would be practically impossible.

So, the fear-mongering gets ratcheted up, and to capitalize on that fear-mongering is Representative Jamie Raskin (D-MD), who is introducing HR 7468, the Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020. This legislation would make it a federal crime for anyone but a licensed firearm manufacturer to have a “firearm manufacturing machine.”

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/08/below-the-radar-stop-home-manufacture-of-ghost-guns-act-of-2020/#axzz6Ulqncgr8

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:40:35 am »
Ammoland by Harold Hutchison 8/11/2020

Below the Radar: Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020

“Ghost guns” have become one of the boogeymen that many anti-Second Amendment extremists are hyping. One of the major reasons has been the development of 3D printing and the increasing popularity of the unfinished receivers. For Second Amendment supporters, the technological advances are exciting – they could make it easier to exercise our constitutional rights.

Those developments, though, are intolerable to anti-Second Amendment extremists. If that technology were to spread – and things like 3D printers and CNC machines are getting cheaper, and thus, more accessible to the public. If that were to happen, enforcing gun bans would be practically impossible.

So, the fear-mongering gets ratcheted up, and to capitalize on that fear-mongering is Representative Jamie Raskin (D-MD), who is introducing HR 7468, the Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020. This legislation would make it a federal crime for anyone but a licensed firearm manufacturer to have a “firearm manufacturing machine.”

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2020/08/below-the-radar-stop-home-manufacture-of-ghost-guns-act-of-2020/#axzz6Ulqncgr8

Yeah, because that's where black street gangs get their guns,,,,
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:49 am »
So lets say they ban the home manufacture of guns..... Are they going door to door to check your home for a machine?  Are they going to search everyone on the street to see if they have one?
Stupid is as stupid does...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:50:20 am »
This is so stupid!

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hr7468/BILLS-116hr7468ih.pdf

(b) DEFINITION OF FIREARM MANUFACTURING MACHINE.—Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘‘(36) The term ‘firearm manufacturing machine’ means—

‘‘(A) a device designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be used primarily to make, or convert a product into, a frame or receiver for a firearm; and

‘‘(B) any combination of parts designed or intended for use in making a device described in sub-paragraph (A) and from which such a device may be readily assembled.’’

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:53:29 am »
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/oppose_hr_7468

In other words, HR 7468 could turn you into a felon for owning just about anything the Government claims could be used to make a firearm!

So unless you want the ATF carting you off to prison for owning a power drill, you need to take immediate action to oppose this sweeping anti-gun bill.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 02:21:37 am »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The tools used to make this "Slam Fire Shotgun" could under this bill be defined as a ‘firearm manufacturing machine’

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:40:17 am »
This legislation would make it a federal crime for anyone but a licensed firearm manufacturer to have a “firearm manufacturing machine.”

I have to wonder if he is really so ignorant and gullible that he really does think there are such things as "special gun manufacturing machines"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 02:45:52 am »
I have to wonder if he is really so ignorant and gullible that he really does think there are such things as "special gun manufacturing machines"?

But there are "special gun manufacturing machines"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:03:22 am »
I had two professors in college who built stunning flintlocks, cutting their own threads for screws, and working from rough castings and stock with a file. About the only modern (power) tool used was a drill. It'd take a couple of years to build one...but they did, as a hobby.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 11:30:41 am »
But there are "special gun manufacturing machines"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@Elderberry

No,it's just a milling machine. It does no milling,casting,heat-treating,or designing.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:03 pm »
@Elderberry

No,it's just a milling machine. It does no milling,casting,heat-treating,or designing.

Yes. It's a milling machine that takes an 80% receiver and completes the machining to take it to 100% machined, which at that point is a "ghost gun".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:50 pm »
Yes. It's a milling machine that takes an 80% receiver and completes the machining to take it to 100% machined, which at that point is a "ghost gun".
I guess the point is that a competent machinist can do this with the specs and a decent milling machine. At that point, anything that can be used to do a decent job of cutting metal becomes illegal...but wait! there's MORE!

(B) any combination of parts designed or intended for use in making a device described in sub-paragraph (A) and from which such a device may be readily assembled.’’

At this point even having the parts that you could make something with...?

This is insanity,  and just shows how scared the Democrats are.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 06:04:07 pm »
No such thing as ghosts so no one has any use for a 'ghost' gun.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 06:11:09 pm »
No such thing as ghosts so no one has any use for a 'ghost' gun.
*****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 07:49:00 pm »
This is utterly ludicrous. I have said it before... With nothing but a tooling lathe and a fly cutter, one can build about any gun you like. And these are but the most common of machining tools - EVERY machine shop has them, and it would be reasonable to possess for most diesel, automotive, and small engine shops... This sort of thing would be impossible to enforce.

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
Years ago one of my idiot liberal relatives was talking about "banning all guns" I asked her if she intended to lock me up as well. She asked why and I told her that as a machinist I could pretty much replicate many firearms and that my misspent youth involved me blowing up things mostly from stuff under the kitchen sink and my father's workshop in the basement. I then showed her some things in her own home that could be used either as an incendiary or as an explosive. She was so pissed she didn't talk to me for 6 months. Wish it had been longer.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 02:00:06 pm »
Years ago one of my idiot liberal relatives was talking about "banning all guns" I asked her if she intended to lock me up as well. She asked why and I told her that as a machinist I could pretty much replicate many firearms and that my misspent youth involved me blowing up things mostly from stuff under the kitchen sink and my father's workshop in the basement. I then showed her some things in her own home that could be used either as an incendiary or as an explosive. She was so pissed she didn't talk to me for 6 months. Wish it had been longer.

@verga

I know.I was a child in the 3rd grade when I made my first gun. It was made from a broken car antenna,a piece of rubber from an inner tube,a hook from a screen door to serve as the hammer,and part of a 2x4 I carved down to serve as the grip and frame. One shot only,not very accurate,but it fired and you did NOT want somebody slipping up behind you and touching your head with it before letting go of the door hook.

I also went to a local drug store when I was a child,and bought the ingredients to make my own black powder. THAT one was a step too far for my parents because they had to pay the city to replace the section of sidewalk I cracked and cratered when I decided to see if it worked. They ended up buying and giving me a 22 rifle and telling me if they caught me out of the house with it they would take it away. I did get to shoot it on weekends when we went to the country,though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:01:11 pm by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 07:34:42 pm »

I grew up much the same way... any kid with a little bit of woods and an arms-length away from his mamma will learn how to make things shoot, or blow things up... My favorite was sparkler bombs.

And like you, I have made my bones as a machinist, among other things. I have said all the way along, give me a shop laid out for general automotive repair, a tooling lathe and a flycutter, and I can make just about any gun part you'd need. Shoot! give me a bit of tool steel and I will make my own cutters and bits to put in the machines to make the parts. And that sort of shop layout is found literally in their thousands upon thousands. You ain't gonna stop folks from building their own.

You sure as hell ain't gonna stop me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:35:33 pm by roamer_1 »