Author Topic: Stalled coronavirus relief negotiations hit new obstacle: State aid  (Read 377 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stalled coronavirus relief negotiations hit new obstacle: State aid
The stalemate puts at risk potentially trillions of dollars in aid for families, businesses and the US economy
By Megan Henney | Fox News

White House officials and Democratic leaders remained at an impasse Monday over another coronavirus relief package, with aid for cash-strapped state and local governments emerging as the latest obstacle in negotiations.

The two sides are at odds over whether states should receive additional funding in the next round of emergency aid -- and if so, how much.

Negotiators are trying to close the divide between the Senate Republicans' $1 trillion HEALS Act, which includes no new funding for states, and the House's $3.4 trillion HEROES Act, which allocates about $1 trillion in new funding for state and local governments.

The stalemate puts at risk potentially trillions of dollars in aid for families, businesses and the U.S. economy, including a fresh round of $1,200 stimulus checks, extra unemployment aid for millions of out-of-work Americans, $100 billion to help reopen schools and relief for cash-strapped state and local governments.

There were no signs of a détente on Monday, with each party blaming the other for the stalled-out discussions.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-relief-negotiations-hit-new-obstacle-as-talks-stall-state-aid
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Stalled coronavirus relief negotiations hit new obstacle: State aid
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:22 pm »
100 Billion to reopen schools? What happened to all that money they should have saved over actually operating schools last year?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:11 pm »
100 Billion to reopen schools? What happened to all that money they should have saved over actually operating schools last year?

Well in looking at my county, each student was given a notebook computer to distance/virtual learn and 1 meal a day was provided to them. It is my understanding that teachers were still paid. In addition each child received an EBT card.  Our county has requested 1M to reopen schools safely.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:36:41 am »
Well in looking at my county, each student was given a notebook computer to distance/virtual learn and 1 meal a day was provided to them. It is my understanding that teachers were still paid. In addition each child received an EBT card.  Our county has requested 1M to reopen schools safely.
Here, students were expected to provide their own chromebook (or better). Some were available to rent if you couldn't afford to buy one, and I would imagine others were provided to those who genuinely could not get one otherwise. That was well before COVID, so that part was already in place. A great deal of classwork was already done on, and turned in via the machines, even to the point of not having hard copy texts, ALL BEFORE COVID.
For COVID, The buildings were basically mothballed, and one administrator I spoke with said they'd been 'working from home, maybe one or two days per week physically in the building, while teaching was all done online. Cafeteria facilities and a host of other spaces in the schools were basically NOT USED. Put a coffee pot in the office, pack a lunch. Have the guy come in every couple weeks and stock the pop machines, and it should all be good to go.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis