Author Topic: ‘Horrible sequence of mistakes’: How bullet train contractors botched a bridge project  (Read 676 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

‘Horrible sequence of mistakes’: How bullet train contractors botched a bridge project

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-10/california-bullet-train-bridge-snafu

A series of errors by contractors and consultants on the California bullet train venture caused support cables to fail on a massive bridge, triggering an order to stop work that further delayed a project already years behind schedule, the Los Angeles Times has learned.
Authorities have yet to finalize a plan to repair the bridge. Late last year, crews installed temporary steel supports to prevent it from collapsing.

Hundreds of pages of documents obtained by The Times under a public records request show the steel supports snapped as a result of neglect, work damage, miscommunications and possible design problems.
The bridge work began in 2016 and was supposed to be completed in 12 months. Relocation of underground utilities became a problem, as there were schedule glitches, according to rail authority and Madera County officials. Months turned into years, during which thousands of residents were forced to take long detours around the site.

Then last year came a series of blunders.

High-strength steel strands supporting the 636-foot-long structure began to snap on Oct. 22, one after another. Ultimately, 23 of the strands, which are composed of seven individual wires each, broke unexpectedly, according to rail authority documents and officials. The order to stop work was issued Nov. 4.

A forensic engineering analysis, obtained by The Times, found that the strands corroded from rainwater that had leaked into the internal structure of the bridge and then broke. The analysis was prepared for Tutor Perini by the forensic engineering firm Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates of Northbrook, Ill.

If CA counties were ranked wettest to driest, Madera County would probably be in the lower half of the list. So if rainwater leaked into the structure, its design or build quality must have been pretty poor! Of course, this is the massive boondoggle that should never have been built, so this is par for the course. The article calls out Goobernor Nuisance, but Goobernors Moonbeam and Ahhhnold-the-RINO share in the discredit.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

It wouldn’t be so bad that rats are feeding their union supporters with make work projects if the unions still knew how to do their jobs.

If it were up to today’s union members San Franciscans would still have to take the ferry to Saucelito.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That's one train I dare not ride.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
"mistakes"...an interesting euphemism to describe incompetence.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"mistakes"...an interesting euphemism to describe incompetence.
S.N.A.F.U.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

And no doubt that a number of connected people got quite wealthy during this failure.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
And no doubt that a number of connected people got quite wealthy during this failure.
:yowsa:

Online roamer_1

S.N.A.F.U.

I watch 'Demolition Ranch' and 'Off the Ranch' by Matt Carriker on Youtube... As a series in 'Off the Ranch', they bought an abandoned mansion  - A huge house that for some reason made it through framing and dry-in during construction, which then stopped unfinished some 20 years ago... Now, a good portion of the damage across that time came from folks busting all the windows out - But the comparison is there - The unfinished and un-managed state of the place for over two decades had wrought massive damage, rotting it in places right down to it's very bones.

This is likely a similar thing... A boondoggle to start with, left open to the weather in an unfinished state... The result can hardly be a surprise.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I used to work with a young guy who got a job on The Moonbeam Express when our employer went out of business, I wonder if he still has the job? I'll have to ask my old boss he still stays in touch with the owner of our old company and the kid was the owners son in law.