Author Topic: FIVE GREAT LESSONS  (Read 580 times)

rangerrebew

FIVE GREAT LESSONS
« on: August 11, 2020, 12:04:16 pm »
 FIVE GREAT LESSONS

Author Unknown

Some Important Lessons Life Teaches You…

Most Important Lesson

During my second year of college, a professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions, until I read the last one:

â€œWhat is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?”

Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade. “Absolutely,” said the professor. “In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say ‘hello’.”  I’ve never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy.

https://www.daveschultz.com/5-great-lessons/

Offline AL

Re: FIVE GREAT LESSONS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 12:30:05 pm »
My technique that I have used when meeting people in passing is to say hello and use the first name that comes to mind.  On the next meeting a conversation would usually take place where the person would give their name and I'd say well I just guessed.  Usually a cordial friendship would evolve.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »
It is that second meeting where you can not remember another persons name. You can fake it but then all future meetings will be blanks. Why can't I remember?

I could not remember names of people who initially didn't seem important. Yep, a rookie move. I found that admitting the forgetfulness was best.

My name is Al, I have forgotten your name.

This way you increase your focus when you meet people. If you don't remember them, say it again.
Hi, my name is Al, I have forgotten your name. If you meet someone with an unusual name say something about it as that will key your memory. Say, my name is Alton, it is an unusual name then some brief encounter about it.

Seldom do I forget as this is ingrained process. I always do it before the first minute of conversation passes.

You may be surprised that others have forgotten your name and are appreciative of you saying it again when you ask theirs.

I had a phone list in my wallet. I put both names there. When I needed help it is best to address the person who answers your call.

Slide Rule

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:00:10 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:57:55 pm »
It is that second meeting where you can not remember another persons name. You can fake it but then all future meetings will be blanks. Why can't I remember?

I could not remember names of people who initially didn't seem important. Yep, a rookie move. I found that admitting the forgetfulness was best.

My name is Al, I have forgotten your name.

This way you increase your focus when you meet people. If you don't remember them, say it again.
Hi, my name is Al, I have forgotten your name. If you meet someone with an unusual name say something about it as that will key your memory. Say, my name is Alton, it is an unusual name then some brief encounter about it.

Seldom do I forget as this is ingrained process. I always do it before the first minute of conversation passes.

You may be surprised that others have forgotten your name and are appreciative of you saying it again when you ask theirs.

I had a phone list in my wallet. I put both names there. When I needed help it is best to address the person who answers your call.

Slide Rule

I usually say the person's name at least three times during the introduction.  Verbalizing it helps me remember.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: