Author Topic: Why millennials’ distaste for Baby Boomers is justified  (Read 1351 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This is your typical self-absorbed Millennial piece where they blame everyone but themselves for their lack of success in life. 

n the book, Filipovic takes us through numerous areas of modern life, explaining through statistics and personal stories why millennials — those born between 1980-1996, who make up the nation’s largest age group — face tougher economic challenges than their parents’ generation — the baby boomers, born between 1946-1964.

“Millennials have faced unique hardships that set our generation apart,” Filipovic writes. “We’re only now starting to grasp the degree to which we have gotten screwed. And we’re responding with desperation and sometimes anger. That’s where ‘OK Boomer’ comes from: It’s a final, frustrated dismissal from people suffering years of political and economic neglect.
https://nypost.com/2020/08/08/why-millennials-distaste-for-baby-boomers-is-justified/
boo hoo  Suck it up buttercup.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Why millennials’ distaste for Baby Boomers is justified
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:46:51 pm »
 :03:

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:02:22 pm »
I'll try not to make the same mistake of painting with a broad brush, like the writer does, but it does seem like millennials have a fondness for for blaming everyone else for their own problems.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:41 pm »
My universal challenge is to every Boomer who has a kid or grandkid, etc. with this attitude......

Estate planning can zap them out, with a stroke of a pen.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:46 pm »
Interesting thesis, but using just stats to explain the "why" is wholly inaccurate.

Millennials should be blaming the education system for their lack of knowledge, skills and financial acuity. 

But they won't. 

It's much easier to blame those of us who were taught properly and used that knowledge to our benefit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:24:00 pm by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:12 pm »
My universal challenge is to every Boomer who has a kid or grandkid, etc. with this attitude......

Estate planning can zap them out, with a stroke of a pen.   :cool:

Or tapping some keys on the internet. :cool:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:35 pm »
Interesting thesis, but using just stats to explain the "why" is wholly inaccurate.

Millennials should be blaming the education system for their lack of knowledge, skills and financial acuity. 

But they won't. 

It's much easier to blame those of us who were taught properly and used that knowledge to our benefit.

And that's the crux. If you refuse to blame the very people who've caused the problem, and continue to vote for them, how can I possibly feel sorry for you?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 11:31:13 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 08:46:24 pm »

But they won't. 

His/Her parents should have stepped up when the kid declare a major in "Gender Studies" and said NFW.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 08:47:13 pm »
The funny thing about Millennials is that I'm old enough to remember when Boomers were in their 20's.They are a lot alike, especially the whiny liberal ones.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 09:44:47 pm »
For all the crap Boomers take, no one wants to blame Generation X, who are the ones in power now. The Boomers are retiring.

It seems their chief sin is a lack of understanding of how the world is today. That's something that's been an issue between generations for decades. So they may be misguided on some things but that's true of anyone, and that doesn't mean they're to blame for millennials' plight.

But who are the mega-billionaires who have rewritten the system? Mostly born in the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s. Marc Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, the Google guys... in politics, Barack Obama. Generation X took their pervasive daddy issues and put the screws to everyone around them. It was Generation X that taught the millennials in the public schools, especially high school.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 09:53:58 pm »
For all the crap Boomers take, no one wants to blame Generation X, who are the ones in power now. The Boomers are retiring.

Our generation, may not have always agreed with our parents, but still the same we respected them.  Millenial disdain for us is not healthy.

Don't worry, we'll be soyent green for the millenials in 20 years anyway
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 11:46:48 pm »
The funny thing about Millennials is that I'm old enough to remember when Boomers were in their 20's.They are a lot alike, especially the whiny liberal ones.
Except the boomers have the wealth, not the Millennials.

He who controls the money controls.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 11:56:00 pm »

Don't worry, we'll be soyent green for the millenials in 20 years anyway

True story. 

Offline DB

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 12:14:10 am »
The idiots voted for Obamacare and the like and then wonder why they can only get a part time job...

And too many of them think they're "educated" because they have a degree in basket weaving or something equally useless in the real world...

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 12:36:42 am »
Well, the 1970's brought in the 2 income household enabling families to buy more expensive houses and the builders to ignore "affordable" housing.

Millennials' are not getting married so a single income household is trying to jump into a 2 income market.

We have effectively banned life.... almost everything we did  is now illegal to the point of jail time not just a lecture by the cop that stopped you.

HOA's rule just about every aspect of a persons home lifestyle, from how high to cut your grass, what color to paint your front door, even banning pickup trucks in the community.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 02:12:13 am »
The millennials have lower IQs than the boomers.  Gen Z is even worse.  You have to accept this fact if you want to understand what is happening.  Furthermore, exit polling in 1968 and 1972 revealed the silent majority of baby boomers were SQUARES.  In no way will today's youth replicate the success of their parents. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:42 am »
The idiots voted for Obamacare and the like and then wonder why they can only get a part time job...

And too many of them think they're "educated" because they have a degree in basket weaving or something equally useless in the real world...

Some years ago I gave a commencement speech for our local HS.

I have never been invited back because I told that graduatin class that they had been being misled for years into thinking they were getting an education when all they truly were getting was whatever part of the body of knowledge that they had thus far been exposed to and absorb as individuals. And that the truth of the matter was that no matter how much further they pursued their formal eduations, they would only be truly educated when they had learned how to apply whatever body of knowledge they each finally wound up with to the business of making their way in this world each and every day of their lives. 

Whenever I encounter any member of that class these days they never fail to thank me and that's enough for me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 03:58:05 am »

I have never been invited back because I told that graduatin class that they had been being misled for years into thinking they were getting an education when all they truly were getting was whatever part of the body of knowledge that they had thus far been exposed to and absorb as individuals. And that the truth of the matter was that no matter how much further they pursued their formal eduations, they would only be truly educated when they had learned how to apply whatever body of knowledge they each finally wound up with to the business of making their way in this world each and every day of their lives. 

Whenever I encounter any member of that class these days they never fail to thank me and that's enough for me.

I'm guessing all the time spent on video games, computers and social media was time away from learning how the world works. Schools pumped up their self esteem without actually earning it. And then when it was time to actually produce something of worth they were unprepared. There are no participation awards in business. And then they're bitter that they aren't getting their expected due.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:58:54 am by DB »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 11:55:04 am »

It seems their chief sin is a lack of understanding of how the world is today. That's something that's been an issue between generations for decades. So they may be misguided on some things but that's true of anyone, and that doesn't mean they're to blame for millennials' plight.

But who are the mega-billionaires who have rewritten the system? Mostly born in the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s. Marc Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, the Google guys... in politics, Barack Obama. Generation X took their pervasive daddy issues and put the screws to everyone around them. It was Generation X that taught the millennials in the public schools, especially high school.

Sort of. Gen X is mostly conservative with a heavy libertarian streak.

But as with any generation you have that percentage, in this case the nihilistic, perpetually depressed, Seattle grunge plaid contingent that came of age in the era of Bill and Hillary Clinton. They are just as commie left as any college educated, vagina studies SJW you got running around today, or in the 60's.

And they gravitate to the same areas: tech, govt, 501c3 activist groups, and least lucky of all - our education system to brainwash you generation.

Probably the only things I really criticize the younger generations for, now having been around quite a few of them as adults, are that they tend to be waaaaay overconfident with unrealistic, rock star dreams, and everything with them is social, social, social, social, and online.

What they need is more individualism, less groupthink, more practicality, less self promotion, less cockyness, more substance and depth, more analog and most of all more clarity of thought combined with some strong critical thinking. They seem to want to turn everything into a 60's style, trendy, mass feelgood movement.

Which is the irony I spoke of above, because that was one of the worst qualities of Boomers, and they are recycling it into the same old mistakes.

The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 12:37:17 pm »

That's standing up on two solid feet.

Well done and kudos to you for speaking the truth.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 01:15:57 pm »
That's standing up on two solid feet.

Well done and kudos to you for speaking the truth.

Thanks @IsailedawayfromFR I do my best to do that all the time.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 03:09:14 pm »
Wingnut is back? Wish Frank would come back too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 03:59:35 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 04:01:33 pm »

Excellent....  I have been looking for a postable version of the debt clock for weeks now.  But I don't think it is current.  $17T?   Maybe 6 or 7 years ago.

n.m...  just noticed it is a sample gif
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:03:29 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »
Excellent....  I have been looking for a postable version of the debt clock for weeks now.

That would take some serious HTML.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-