Author Topic: Trump signs relief orders as talks fail  (Read 346 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Trump signs relief orders as talks fail
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Houston Chronicle by Jeff Stein, Erica Werner and Renae Merle 8/8/2020

President Donald Trump on Saturday attempted to bypass Congress and make dramatic changes to tax and spending policy, signing executive actions that challenge the boundaries of power that separate the White House and Capitol Hill.

At an event in Bedminster, N.J., Trump said the actions would provide economic relief to millions of Americans by deferring taxes and, he said, providing temporary unemployment benefits. The measures would attempt to wrest away some of Congress's most fundamental, constitutionally mandated powers - tax and spending policy. Trump acknowledged that some of the actions could be challenged in court, but he indicated he would persevere.

Trump bemoaned how Democrats had refused to accept his demands during recent negotiations but attempted to brush it aside, saying four measures he signed Saturday "will take care of pretty much this entire situation."

But there were instant questions about whether Trump's actions were as ironclad as he made them out to be. A leading national expert on unemployment benefits said that one of the actions would not increase federal unemployment benefits at all. The expert said it would instead create a program that could take "months" to set up. And Trump's directive to halt evictions primarily calls for federal agencies to "consider" whether they should be stopped.

Trump also incorrectly referred to his measures as "bills." Congress writes and votes on bills, not the White House. The documents Trump signed on Saturday were a combination of memorandums and an executive order.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Trump-is-expected-to-sign-executive-orders-15469825.php

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Trump signs relief orders as talks fail
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 02:44:44 pm »
I'm looking forward to the Democraps suing Trump for this....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 02:48:07 pm »
I'm looking forward to the Democraps suing Trump for this....

Can Pelosi and Schumer be that obtuse?   

Wait?  What the heck was I thinking ...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 02:55:50 pm »
Can Pelosi and Schumer be that obtuse?   

Wait?  What the heck was I thinking ...

They didn't bitch about it before the ink was dry like they usually do, so I think they have just enough grey matter to let this one go.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 02:58:41 pm »
They didn't bitch about it before the ink was dry like they usually do, so I think they have just enough grey matter to let this one go.

If they won't the republicans in congress will. Both parties have been playing a variation of this two card monte on the American people for years.

Trump's move amounts to a great big line item veto - they cannot let it stand.

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »
If they won't the republicans in congress will. Both parties have been playing a variation of this two card monte on the American people for years.

Trump's move amounts to a great big line item veto - they cannot let it stand.

The Pubs would be cutting their throats if they fought Trump on this.

The Rats might fight it because the media will do everything in their power to defend them. If the Rats do fight this it still will hurt them with suburban soccer moms to some extent. Trump is helping those in need, while the ruling class talks and looks for political advantage. Trump has the high ground!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home