Author Topic: The Navy is putting 'the proper equipment' back on its ships to operate in harsh Arctic conditions  (Read 374 times)

rangerrebew

The Navy is putting 'the proper equipment' back on its ships to operate in harsh Arctic conditions
Christopher Woody

A small-boat crew from Coast Guard cutter Juniper, a buoy tender, underway in Pond Inlet in Nunavut, in the Arctic, August 30, 2012. US Coast Guard/PO3 Cynthia Oldham

The Navy and Coast Guard are heading back into the Arctic this month, joining Canadian, Danish, and French ships for the annual Canadian-led exercise Operation Nanook.

The US and other navies are increasing their presence in the Arctic as the region grows more accessible, but that requires sailors to adjust their training and their gear for a new, harsh environment.

https://www.businessinsider.com/navy-putting-survival-gear-back-on-ships-for-arctic-operations-2020-8

rangerrebew

Let me see.  That must mean things like extra strength coffee warmers. space heaters for the heads, extra chipping hammers to de-ice the ship. happy77

Offline AL

Let me see.  That must mean things like extra strength coffee warmers. space heaters for the heads, extra chipping hammers to de-ice the ship. happy77

Spent most of my 4 years above the arctic circle in the summer months.  Once the sea turned to slush we'd head for the Med for a liberty tour, then the Caribbean, then home port for Christmas.  The Navy used to have pretty good foul weather gear, wool sweaters, and heavy duty green foul-weather coats.  When the seas would calm down some and we weren't taking spray over the bow, we'd de-ice.  We had two trash cans full of baseball bats and about a dozen sledge hammers with one side pointed the other side flat.  We'd frequently lose a couple lifeline stanchions and some snaking.  Being a bosun and on the deck gang this de-icing was hard work and it had its dangers.  We would frequently have man-overboard drills, because it was critical to get to a man fast in those waters.  On bridge watch we'd rotate lookouts every half hour.  Norway was by far the best liberty stops, plenty of great looking, friendly girls.

rangerrebew

Speaking of man overboard drills, we had once off San Diego where the lines got all messed up and the motor whaleboat team (6) found they could have an enjoyable time in the pond.  Makes a person feel safe to know the rescuers had everything under control.  To make things safer, on a carrier, Marines are posted along the sides of the ship on the catwalks.  As I am gazing at the fiasco under way, a shark swam right under us.  I asked a marine why he didn't shoot the shark and he said  "I ain't got no orders to shoot it," another comforting piece of knowledge. savme

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

#@rangerrebew

Not to mention lipstick and mascara.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Not much as been said the past few years, but there was a lot of discussion of Artic oil rights (esp. Russia v. Canada)

Not that this could be a hot spot....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.