Author Topic: Harleys everywhere, masks nowhere: Sturgis draws thousands  (Read 1027 times)

Offline mrclose

Harleys everywhere, masks nowhere: Sturgis draws thousands
« on: August 08, 2020, 04:26:07 pm »

This year’s rally will be from Friday, Aug. 7 through Sunday, Aug. 16.

Antifa and BLM will be running a little late! :beer:

“Screw COVID,” read the design on one T-shirt being hawked. “I went to Sturgis.”

The bike rally could become one of the largest public gatherings since the pandemic began with 250,000 people expected.

Thousands of bikers poured into the small South Dakota city of Sturgis on Friday as the 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally rumbled to life despite fears it could lead to a massive coronavirus outbreak.

The rally could become one of the largest public gatherings since the pandemic began, with organizers expecting 250,000 people from all over the country to make their way through Sturgis during the 10-day event. That would be roughly half the number of previous years, but local residents — and a few bikers — worry that the crowds could create a “super-spreader” event.

Many who rode their bikes into Sturgis on Friday expressed defiance at the rules and restrictions that have marked life in many locales during the pandemic. People rode from across the country to a state that offered a reprieve from coronavirus restrictions, as South Dakota has no special limits on indoor crowds, no mask mandates and a governor who is eager to welcome visitors and the money they bring.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/nation-world/harleys-everywhere-masks-nowhere-sturgis-draws-thousands/507-2372c962-0ac5-43e9-bbcb-98fcb8a31b9f?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Harleys everywhere, masks nowhere: Sturgis draws thousands
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:37:28 pm »
I really really love this!

Thanks @mrclose
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AL

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 06:15:46 pm »

Thanks @mrclose

That looks like a great time in Sturgis.  Small town that draws a big crowd.  Love to move to SD.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 06:26:07 pm »
Would love to be the alcohol supplier....

Offline mrclose

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »

Thanks @mrclose

You are quite welcome @Bigun!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:13:54 pm »
Great example of American Independence.

Roll on brothers and sisters and wishing you all a fanfukingtastic time!   :yowsa: :yowsa:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 10:19:12 pm »
Not surprising.  They don't wear brain-buckets either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online rustynail

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 10:33:03 pm »
They are all going to die!

Someday.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:45 pm »
They are all going to die!

Someday.

I almost didn't scroll down far enough and was going to add that last word for you.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 12:30:38 am »
Glad to see this actually.  Our local bike night which takes place the 2nd Sat of every month (Oct - Apr)  and usually draws around 12,000 people has been cancelled until further notice.

:beer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2GPJeRoD4
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:34:19 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 01:00:24 am »
This year’s rally will be from Friday, Aug. 7 through Sunday, Aug. 16.

Antifa and BLM will be running a little late! :beer:

“Screw COVID,” read the design on one T-shirt being hawked. “I went to Sturgis.”

The bike rally could become one of the largest public gatherings since the pandemic began with 250,000 people expected.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/nation-world/harleys-everywhere-masks-nowhere-sturgis-draws-thousands/507-2372c962-0ac5-43e9-bbcb-98fcb8a31b9f?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

Excellent.  Herd immunity.  I already have it. Can't hide forever from a virus.   Keep your immune system strong. Take anti-viral  foods.  13 listed by Dr. Eric Berg.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 01:02:21 am »
Great example of American Independence.

Roll on brothers and sisters and wishing you all a fanfukingtastic time!   :yowsa: :yowsa:

Agree.  :thumbsup:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 02:16:55 am »
My SIL  went once, on a bike with engine mounted rigidly to frame.

She said the vibration beat her up-feet, legs, etc.. Asked would she do it again?

She said :Phuque yeah!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 04:42:08 pm »
 I debated about where to put this and this thread seemed most appropriate.

The following is a report from a friend on FB. I copied and pasted it here because I find it to be very encouraging and thought you might enjoy reading it as well.  The emphasis is mine.

We just finished an extended trip to Phoenix and back with a number of stops in West Texas.

Thought I would share what we saw.

First, the most interesting observation was that we saw LOTS of vehicles heading east toward Texas towing U-Haul trailers and a few U-Haul trucks, as well. We did not see them heading away from Texas.

Second, there is lots more traffic on the road than there has been. People everywhere are obviously not sheltering in place. At least across Texas and in Arizona. The truck traffic on the Interstates (10 and 20) were heavy.

Because we had heard that New Mexico is still quarantining people coming into the state to stay, we drove non-stop across the state both ways.

Coming through Austin this afternoon, we sat in a traffic jam. The shops and restaurants in Fredericksburg this afternoon were swarming with people.

We stopped to shop in multiple places including Big Spring, Pecos, Fort Stockton, Sonora, Fredricksburg, and Giddings. In every place we shopped, when there were masks-required signs up, the workers did not say a word about people not being masked, and were cheerfully helpful when asked for help.

Arizona does not have a statewide mask mandate, but the metropolitan counties have put them in place. We had the same experience in Phoenix and other Arizona locations. Signs up, but no peep from owners or other customers when maskless people entered.

Finally, we drove through the Delaware Basin portion of the larger Permian Basin in Reeves, Loving, and Culberson County the way we did this time two years ago. There was still oilfield activity, but nothing compared to the hour long waits at intersections in sparsely populated desert the way we did during boom time two years ago.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 04:44:48 pm »
I debated about where to put this and this thread seemed most appropriate.

The following is a report from a friend on FB. I copied and pasted it here because I find it to be very encouraging and thought you might enjoy reading it as well.  The emphasis is mine.

Really good to hear.  Thanks for sharing! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 04:49:12 pm »
Really good to hear.  Thanks for sharing!

You are more than welcome @libertybele I'm more than familiar with the route he took as we have made the same trip numerous times to visit relatives in New Mexico and Arizona.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Puss-N-Boots

• God. Family. Seahawks!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 05:01:04 pm »
Jealous!  I have to ride to Sturgis just once before i hang it up.
The Constitution is not a suggestion.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 05:11:30 pm »
You are more than welcome @libertybele I'm more than familiar with the route he took as we have made the same trip numerous times to visit relatives in New Mexico and Arizona.

Yeah, the I-10 is the way to go from your neck of the woods.  Plus the I-20 for the DFW folks.

This time of year the I-40 is usually popular because it's not as hot, but who knows about this year?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 05:17:54 pm »
Yeah, the I-10 is the way to go from your neck of the woods.  Plus the I-20 for the DFW folks.

This time of year the I-40 is usually popular because it's not as hot, but who knows about this year?

I've found the traffic on I-40 to be unbearable this time of year. Particularly so the further East you go.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 05:23:18 pm »
I've found the traffic on I-40 to be unbearable this time of year. Particularly so the further East you go.

OKC traffic sucks year 'round.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »
OKC traffic sucks year 'round.

If you come at OKC for either North or South these days it hard to tell when you hit it or are out of it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 05:52:43 pm »
If this turns out to be a superspreader event, we'll likely know before it's over—the average incubation is only about 6 days.

If not, a LOT of people are going to have to answer some questions.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 05:58:15 pm »
My SIL  went once, on a bike with engine mounted rigidly to frame.

She said the vibration beat her up-feet, legs, etc.. Asked would she do it again?

She said :Phuque yeah!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@truth_seeker

Ask her again about the vibrations.

As one woman once told me,"I love Harley's because they vibrate the best!"

Of course,I have no idea what that means.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 06:00:30 pm »
Sturgis is a "Peaceful Protest"  Everyone knows the rona  will not infect Peaceful Protesters. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 06:02:03 pm »
If this turns out to be a superspreader event, we'll likely know before it's over—the average incubation is only about 6 days.

If not, a LOT of people are going to have to answer some questions.

Assuming the questions get asked in the first place. 
I will NOT comply.