Author Topic: Jerry Falwell Jr. placed on indefinite leave  (Read 1237 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jerry Falwell Jr. placed on indefinite leave
« on: August 07, 2020, 10:34:02 pm »
Jerry Falwell Jr. placed on indefinite leave
By Marty Johnson - 08/07/20 05:36 PM EDT

Jerry Falwell Jr., president and chancellor of Liberty University, has been placed on indefinite leave by the institution's board of trustees executive committee.

"The Executive Committee of Liberty University’s Board of Trustees, acting on behalf of the full Board, met today and requested that Jerry Falwell, Jr. take an indefinite leave of absence from his roles as President and Chancellor of Liberty University, to which he has agreed, effective immediately," the private, Christian university said in a statement Friday.

Falwell, who is often in the news because of his support of President Trump, experienced severe backlash last week after posting a picture on Instagram of himself with his arm around a woman on a yacht, both with their pants apparently unzipped. The post was eventually deleted and Falwell apologized, claiming that the picture was “just in good fun.”

Still, conservative commentators were not pleased with the photo.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/511113-jerry-falwell-jr-placed-on-indefinite-leave
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Jerry Falwell Jr. placed on indefinite leave
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 10:42:23 pm »
I might get slammed a bit, but I have never been a fan of Tele-evangelist.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:30:45 pm »

I won't slam you.  I think they are all charlatans. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:34:22 pm »

I'm not a fan of evangelicals period.

As far someone who proclaims to be Christian and a leader of a prominent Christian university to post a picture of himself with a woman with their zippers down is hypocritical to say the least.  I'm glad he was asked to step down. What an embarrassment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:44:14 pm »
I'm not a fan of evangelicals period.

As far someone who proclaims to be Christian and a leader of a prominent Christian university to post a picture of himself with a woman with their zippers down is hypocritical to say the least.  I'm glad he was asked to step down. What an embarrassment.

Many of them like Falwell are Trump supporters and Trump welcomes their support.  I know one of them said anyone who doesn't vote for Trump is going to hell.  Uh...sorry, but I don't think you're the one who makes that decision.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:01:21 am »
Lol, this is about 5th stupid thing he has done lately.... (past 4 years).... At least he has his picture w/ his wife and Trump with the Playboy cover in the background.

At least the pictures he was worried would leak out (and had Trump's lawyer help him keep hidden) never leaked.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:05:34 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 12:07:05 am »
I don't know whether Falwell, Jr., might be termed a televangelist, although his late father might fit that description. Junior worked as a lawyer for 20 years before taking over the running of Liberty University after dad's death.

Nevertheless, this is a very strange story.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:11:40 am »
Quote from: WashingtonCoPost
Speaking to the Lynchburg, Va., radio station WLNI, Falwell said the woman in the photo was his “wife’s assistant” — and, he said, the inspiration for undoing his pants zipper and exposing his stomach.

“She’s pregnant, so she couldn’t get her pants up,” he said as the host chuckled. “And I had on a pair of jeans that I hadn’t worn in a long time, so I couldn’t get mine zipped, either. And so I just put my belly out like hers.”

“She’s a sweetheart,” he added, “and I should never have put it up and embarrassed her.”

I can see this actually being innocent, and just a bad twitter choice to post.... I don't know anyone else that posts dumb Twitter posts though (/end sarcasm)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:19:02 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 02:50:20 am »
OH, I think I have the vapors!  Clutching my pearls and fainting on a couch.  On a boat?  WHERE IT IS HOT?  HAVING FUN? 
IDIOTS.
edit;  All those who requested him to step down.  See, I had to clarify.  I am thinking those people and YOU ALL would think it was about you. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:53:11 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 03:17:47 am »
I can see this actually being innocent, and just a bad twitter choice to post.... I don't know anyone else that posts dumb Twitter posts though (/end sarcasm)

@Sighlass

Self-Righteous people love to get their panties all in a wad over nothing. ESPECIALLY when it allows them to do a little "superiority dance" to celebrate their "victory".

Here is a hint for them. It's not much of a "gotcha picture" when the woman is your wife's assistant,your wife is there,and you are both posing for the photo in public.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 03:35:55 am »
@Sighlass

Self-Righteous people love to get their panties all in a wad over nothing. ESPECIALLY when it allows them to do a little "superiority dance" to celebrate their "victory".

Here is a hint for them. It's not much of a "gotcha picture" when the woman is your wife's assistant,your wife is there,and you are both posing for the photo in public.

It never stops!  And the things CLINTONS have done or obama?  NASTY PEDO, STUFF.   COCAINE.  MISTRESS, AND PROSTITUTES. 

Clinton has child with black prostitute. DANNY WILLIAMS. Hillary found in hotel room with female black prostitute! Not to mention their k!ll list. Same with Kenyan obama.Married to trannie, kids belong to Dr.Anita Blanchard & Martin Nesbitt. He was a male wh0re for rich white men to get his cociane. He smokes pot, drinks, so much he had BREWERY PUT IN WH. Trump does not smoke, drink alcohol, no illegal drugs, no coffee! He is more wholesome than most of the LEFTS.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 04:49:06 am »

It never stops!  And the things CLINTONS have done or obama?  NASTY PEDO, STUFF.   COCAINE.  MISTRESS, AND PROSTITUTES. 

@LegalAmerican

No kidding! Somehow that is just "boyish pranks" and nothing to be concerned about,and this is the announcement of the pending end of the world.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 09:02:52 am »
Falwell no longer worthy of Evangelical Community support
Somebody ask Erratic Jerry why he dumped Cruz for Trump.
Pool Boy Shenanigans? Investigate!
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 09:44:31 am »
The woman in the picture is his wife’s “assistant” so by extension, she is his employee.

And FWIW, it was a “Trailer Park Boys” themed costume party on board a yacht said to be part of Falwell’s “vacation”. Falwell and the woman in the picture are dressed as characters from the show, he is “Julian”. And to make matters worse, that picture was taken in one of the bedrooms (staterooms) on the yacht. I am not saying that there was any hanky panky going on between the two of them but the optics are, how shall we say, not very good.

If you are not familiar with Trailer Park Boys, it is a very raunchy Canadian produced comedy/mockumentary available in the US on Netflix, about the residents of a trailer park in Nova Scotia most of whom are felons, criminals, scammers, drug dealers and addicts, prostitutes and assorted other lowlifes with lots of pot smoking and sex and gun play and copious use of the F-word. IIRC, either one of the episodes or the movie spin off holds the record for the most F words.  I won’t post the links here but if you go to YouTube and search “Trailer Park Boys” you’ll get the idea.

I am in no way a prude, I am not “religious” and enjoy some raunchy comedy and don’t shriek in terror over some profanity, nudity, but Trailer Park Boys was a bit too much even for me. Yea, of the few episodes I watched while staying at my nephew’s house, there were some “funny” moments but overall I found it deeply disturbing and depressing, sort of like watching episodes of “Cops” before the cops show up but played for “laughs”.

Here is the now deleted video of the “party” but saved on Vimeo because the worldwideinterwebs are forever.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/444300274

It isn’t just the picture which was in and of itself in bad taste, but also the whole Trailer Park Boys theme of the party. Keep in mind that the students at Liberty U are under a strict morals code and any student participating in such a party, dressing in such a manner, or even watching R rated movies or shows with profanity and or sexual content is or was until recently forbidden and behaving like Falwell did, would be grounds for demerits and probably counseling if not expulsion. 

FWIW, Falwell sounds as drunk as a Trailer Park Boy in this video of a call he made to a local radio station that was supposedly his apology.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5DsA57acI
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 01:39:42 pm »
Meanwhile, Twitter and Youtube and fecebook censor (the horror) doctors.

Yawn. Bad optics, and bad judgement of what to post online.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 02:54:45 pm »

Yeah, I don't think a national figure would be stupid enough post post a picture like that with a partner-in-affair. But for someone who should be familiar with the concept of "avoiding even the appearance of evil" posting that was monumentally moronic bad judgment. And unless there were multiple people out of sight behind the camera, just posing for that picture was an invitation for a future lawsuit.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
Meanwhile, Twitter and Youtube and fecebook censor (the horror) doctors.

Yawn. Bad optics, and bad judgement of what to post online.

You mean the doctor who claims that women's gynological problems stem from having sex with demons and witches in their sleep?
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
You mean the doctor who claims that women's gynological problems stem from having sex with demons and witches in their sleep?
No, the other doctors with her, and anything positive about Hydroxychloroquine, peer reviewed or otherwise. Hey, many people here worship a guy who was killed and came back to life three days later, myself included. Ever wonder how that sounds where she came from?

But we can all just wait for the vaccine, and the survivors of that misery get to become GMOs.

I hear the doctors in New York are good, too, they've had lots of practice, and all those ventilators and beds are freed up now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 03:59:03 pm »
Very poor judgement on Falwell's part.  I got to see Jerry Falwell at the Republican National Convention.  I really liked the man.  The son.....not so much.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 06:17:16 pm »
Yeah, I don't think a national figure would be stupid enough post post a picture like that with a partner-in-affair. But for someone who should be familiar with the concept of "avoiding even the appearance of evil" posting that was monumentally moronic bad judgment. And unless there were multiple people out of sight behind the camera, just posing for that picture was an invitation for a future lawsuit.

@PeteS in CA

It creeps me out more than a little to think people are going to accuse me of protecting or making excuses for a Falwell,but  it was at A PARTY ABOARD A YACHT! Of course there were other people there.

Still,calling posting that shot a "lapse in judgment" is being generous. "Damn Fool...." are two of the first words that pop into MY mind.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 06:19:35 pm »
Very poor judgement on Falwell's part.  I got to see Jerry Falwell at the Republican National Convention.  I really liked the man.  The son.....not so much.

@mrpotatohead

I didn't like him at all,but I did get a sense that he was sincere in his beliefs,not a charlatan like all the others.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 06:22:17 pm »
@mrpotatohead

I didn't like him at all,but I did get a sense that he was sincere in his beliefs,not a charlatan like all the others.
There are quite a few charlatans out there....  but then again...  the church is full of sinners of whom I'm the worst.  happy77

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 06:27:28 pm »
@mrpotatohead

@sneakypete

True story....

Back in the late '70's my college dorm had drinking klatch club, where at midnight we would all take our bottles to the TV room and watch the PTL Club with Jim Bakker.   Our drinking game was based on alternating shots everytime Jim would say "praise Jesus",or  Glory, and 2 shots when Tammy Fay would start crying.

Then one night, he shouted out that he understood that College Kids were watching his show, and making fun.......   The placed roared in laughter.  Yeah, I know that is sacrilege, and shouldn't have done it.  But you are right.....   He and his ilk stood basically for everything wrong about Christianity
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 07:03:43 pm »
There are quite a few charlatans out there....  but then again...  the church is full of sinners of whom I'm the worst.  happy77

@mrpotatohead

You have obviously never met any of my relatives.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 08:13:19 pm »
No slamming from me.

It's part of the reason why church closures were (are, if you're a Californian) such an insult. Any decent Christian knows that televangelism is a vehicle for crooks, grifters and corrupters of the word of God, with none of the fellowship that is crucial for members of the faith. While streaming is a key part of outreach, it is also one that is easily abused for fame and wealth.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024