Author Topic: 'Still very far apart': Democrats and White House on verge of abandoning aid deal  (Read 258 times)

Offline corbe

'Still very far apart': Democrats and White House on verge of abandoning aid deal

by Susan Ferrechio, Chief Congressional Correspondent

August 06, 2020 09:18 PM

Top Trump administration officials said Thursday night they are on the cusp of abandoning efforts to craft a bipartisan coronavirus aid package unless Democrats take significant steps toward a compromise by Friday.

“We are not going to just keep on coming back every day if we can’t get to a deal,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said after a nearly three-hour meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. “Schumer and Pelosi are in discussions right now on whether it’s worth coming back.”

Pelosi called the meeting “consequential” but said it “reinforced” that Republicans and the White House “don’t understand the gravity of the situation.”

The two sides are trillions of dollars apart on a deal. Democrats are seeking a broad $3.4 trillion aid package, while Republicans are aiming for a package worth roughly $1 trillion. Democrats have been negotiating with Trump officials for nearly two weeks, without much advancement toward a compromise.

Pelosi, a California Democrat, called the GOP proposal “anorexic,” adding, “we’re very far apart. It’s most unfortunate.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/still-very-far-apart-democrats-and-white-house-on-verge-of-abandoning-aid-deal
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

I might believe this if I was stoned.  3 months before an election they just can't stop buying votes at this stage, it's not their MO. 
   IMHO, it will pass and be over $2T. 

Not sure Trump will sign it though. :rolling:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

I might believe this if I was stoned.  3 months before an election they just can't stop buying votes at this stage, it's not their MO. 
   IMHO, it will pass and be over $2T. 

Not sure Trump will sign it though. :rolling:

I highly doubt they reach a deal. Pelosi-Schumer think they have an issue they can make hay with...though I think they are very wrong in that assessment. My guess, is the President simply takes action via Executive Order and takes his case to the people.

We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain