Author Topic: Clorox won't have enough disinfecting wipes until 2021, its CEO says  (Read 629 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Clorox won't have enough disinfecting wipes until 2021, its CEO says

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-clorox-wipes/clorox-wont-have-enough-disinfecting-wipes-until-2021-its-ceo-says-idUSKCN2501EU

Since the start of global lockdowns, makers of hygiene goods have seen a sustained boom in sales. While California-based Clorox typically holds aside excess supply for flu seasons, it says it has been unable to keep up with a six-fold increase in demand for many of its disinfectants.
“Disinfecting wipes, which are the hottest commodity in the business right now, will probably take longer because it’s a very complex supply chain to make them,” Dorer said.

Many companies in the industry make wipes with polyester spunlace, a material currently in short supply as it is also used to make personal protective equipment like masks, medical gowns and medical wipes.

“That entire supply chain is stressed. ... We feel like it’s probably going to take until 2021 before we’re able to meet all the demand that we have,” Dorer said.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

Re: Clorox won't have enough disinfecting wipes until 2021, its CEO says
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 02:47:15 am »
Wipes, sanitizers, even bleach are often hard to come by around here -- months after this COVID thing started.  Presumably, stores here are restricting the amount you can buy when these items are available, but it doesn't appear they have been successful.  I did manage to score a container of wipes online, but it cost me a fortune. 

These shortages have been blamed on hoarders and these companies not being able to keep up with demand, but I keep wondering how much of the supply is being snapped up by gougers or maybe it's all going overseas.  Just seems to me after all this time, we shouldn't still have these supposed shortages.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 02:28:21 pm »
These shortages have been blamed on hoarders and these companies not being able to keep up with demand, but I keep wondering how much of the supply is being snapped up by gougers or maybe it's all going overseas.  Just seems to me after all this time, we shouldn't still have these supposed shortages.
@Applewood

"hoarders"
Dear Applewood,
First, people should not blame "preppers" (I am one), because we already had sanitary wipes we got when there were plenty of them before this pandemic began.

Next, I would not say there are hoarders because everyone needs these wipes and buy them in mass when they can find them.  This is especially true for people who must leave their home every day and those who have children.  Bob and I don't need as many as most people.  I stay in the house and Bob buys the groceries so there is a container of wipes in the car so he can "disinfect" himself when he comes back to the car.

We also have several really large bottles of hand sanitizer.  People need these and buy them when they can find them and if they have children they need plenty just as they need plenty of wipes for their kids.

The buying of these items is not going to stop until this virus is gone.  At this point, I am beginning to think it will never go away.  If a successful vaccine happens, maybe the disease will be controlled to some degree.  It bothers me that many people say they won't take the vaccine, just as many people will not wear a mask. 

Applewood, this has not happened in modern times - all of us sit in our house and don't know what tomorrow or next year or the year after that, will bring due to this disease.

When I first saw/heard about Georgia schools opening up, and kids were shown hugging each other without masks, I knew there would be disease there.  By yesterday, someone in three classes had the disease and went home and one teacher teaching kindergarten tested positive and she and that class has gone into isolation. It is my opinion schools should not open.  If I had a child now, he/she would not go to class.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:51:35 pm »
Who needs them?  You can make your own.  Soaking rubbing alcohol on paper towels stored in a sealable plastic bag, and removed when needed, serves the same purpose at a much lower cost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 08:06:34 pm »
Wipes, sanitizers, even bleach are often hard to come by around here -- months after this COVID thing started.  Presumably, stores here are restricting the amount you can buy when these items are available, but it doesn't appear they have been successful.  I did manage to score a container of wipes online, but it cost me a fortune. 

There has been a shortage of kleenex, toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, bleach, rubbing alcohol, Clorox wipes and even Swiffer mopping pads since the pandemic was first announced.  I have accumulated over the past several years a couple months supply of toilet paper and paper towels, and keep a bottle of bleach on hand for hurricane preparation, but in no way did I ever think that bleach and Clorox wipes would be flying off the shelves and unavailable so I didn't stock up.

I believe Clorox may be deliberately holding back product in order to keep demand and somewhat elevate prices.  I about two month ago, was able to purchase Clorox wipes in a very small cylinder size (limit 1) that I had never seen before.  A couple of weeks later I was able to purchase a 3- pack of Clorox wipes (limit 1).  That's it.  I haven't been able to purchase any since and I am down to my last canister. 

I was able to purchase 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol about 2 months ago and haven't seen it on the shelves since.  Hand sanitizer I was able to purchase 2 small bottles -- shelves are again scarce.

It may be going overseas, who knows.  I do know that in my area they are still limiting supplies on all the items that I mentioned and I haven't been able to get some items regardless of what day or what time I make a trip to the store, so there's no way to stock up.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
Who needs them?  You can make your own.  Soaking rubbing alcohol on paper towels stored in a sealable plastic bag, and removed when needed, serves the same purpose at a much lower cost.

Really?  You must be one of the lucky ones.  Try finding one (1) bottle of rubbing alcohol in my area.  Not available.  Wipes not available.  Bleach scarce as well.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »
I believe Clorox may be deliberately holding back product in order to keep demand and somewhat elevate prices.  ...

1. Holding back production during large unsatisfied demand plus elevated prices would be an engraved invitation for a competitor to jump in, resulting in lower prices and profit for Clorox. I doubt Clorox would be unaware of this.

2. Holding back production would also likely result in Trump taking action under the defense act - as he has done before. I don't think Clorox would be dumb enough to risk that loss of control.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 04:20:39 pm »
One good thing about living in a hurricane prone area.  Most of us keep a 5 yr non-perishable supply of things like wipes, hand sanitizers, bleach anyway. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 04:24:30 pm »
Can't speak for all of these supplies, but in the case of bleach production, this is an industial process, that is typically configured to operate at 100% 24/7 anyway.  Any increase in production requires lengthy expensive environmental permitting.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 08:03:28 pm »
I'm suspicious of these shortages because they put me in mind of years ago when I used to drink orange juice for breakfast. Seemed that every time there was a frost in Florida, orange juice would become hard to find here and the price would go up.  It was later revealed that even frost-damaged oranges could be used to make orange juice, plus many of the manufacturers were getting their oranges from Brazil and elsewhere.  I remember a few bloviating politicians promising an investigation, but If there was one, nothing appears to have come of it.

It is not unheard of that companies may take a calamity and exploit it in order to create shortages and drive up prices.  I expect some of the big names are political donors and that may explain the reluctance to investigate and prosecute, if warranted.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 08:15:26 pm »
I'm suspicious of these shortages because they put me in mind of years ago when I used to drink orange juice for breakfast. Seemed that every time there was a frost in Florida, orange juice would become hard to find here and the price would go up.  It was later revealed that even frost-damaged oranges could be used to make orange juice, plus many of the manufacturers were getting their oranges from Brazil and elsewhere.  I remember a few bloviating politicians promising an investigation, but If there was one, nothing appears to have come of it.

It is not unheard of that companies may take a calamity and exploit it in order to create shortages and drive up prices.  I expect some of the big names are political donors and that may explain the reluctance to investigate and prosecute, if warranted.

I understand.  Your points have merit if there is some collusion among manufacturers.  Otherwise, market supply / demand should be dictating price.  And like I said a few posts ago, those in the industiral circuit like Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) manufacturers are pretty much production driven, unless there are operations or maintenance disruptions.

And as a general rule in manufacturing, you sure want to maximize production when prices are high.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 08:20:27 pm »
I had never used Clorox Wipes before this Rona mess started.  And I stopped buying them after a painful bathroom mishap during the TP shortage due to morons hording those little squares on a roll.

In the dark they are similar to Cottonelle disposable bootie wipes.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 03:13:34 pm »
I had never used Clorox Wipes before this Rona mess started.  And I stopped buying them after a painful bathroom mishap during the TP shortage due to morons hording those little squares on a roll.

In the dark they are similar to Cottonelle disposable bootie wipes.
LOLOLOLOL....  I done that myself.  I won't make that same mistake again.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 03:33:15 pm »
LOLOLOLOL....  I done that myself.  I won't make that same mistake again.

LOL!  Not as 'hot' on face/beard.

I love them, but they're very hard to get/find.

Twice, my buddy called me from COSTCO, "...they're on a pallet right at the entrance...hurry!".

Twice, I was there within 45 minutes and the cupboards were bare.

So of course, I guilted him for not picking one up for me.  $15.99 for 5 tub pack

Now, I have 10 tubs.   :laugh:

Always keep one in the car for when you fill-up or visit a store, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald