Author Topic: Massive Blast in Beirut 08/04/2020  (Read 4660 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Massive Blast in Beirut 08/04/2020
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2020, 01:47:26 am »
They never knew what hit them.  How awful....
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2020, 01:48:53 am »
Proximity of grain elevators to that blast has oblivated that food stuffs for 6M people.  The worst part of this disaster hasn't even happened yet.
Not just that, but salvage of the remaining grain may not be an option because of contamination by the nitrous oxides produced in the blast and fire. Hunger/starvation is a definite possibility.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:50:10 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2020, 02:03:39 am »
"When we came to the office that morning...this huge column of orange smoke coming from down at the dock...."

April marks 73 years since the catastrophic Texas City Explosion
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/April-73-years-Texas-City-Explosion-15174717.php

I don't care what anyone thinks of me ... except dogs. I want dogs to like me.

You are a wise man, a very wise man

Offline DB

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2020, 02:49:34 am »
Not just that, but salvage of the remaining grain may not be an option because of contamination by the nitrous oxides produced in the blast and fire. Hunger/starvation is a definite possibility.

I have to believe the grain is very replaceable. That we and other nations will donate replacement grain if need be.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2020, 02:59:44 am »
I have to believe the grain is very replaceable. That we and other nations will donate replacement grain if need be.
They have to have a place to put it.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2020, 03:07:42 am »
They have to have a place to put it.

I'd assume some large freighter ships would work well.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2020, 03:16:49 am »
Shipping is one thing. Storage for any length of time requires the grain be humidity controlled (ideally, about 15%), or it will develop fungus or rot. Keeping rats and birds out of the grain is important, too.
Elevators are designed to do that, ships are not.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2020, 03:53:16 am »
Shipping is one thing. Storage for any length of time requires the grain be humidity controlled (ideally, about 15%), or it will develop fungus or rot. Keeping rats and birds out of the grain is important, too.
Elevators are designed to do that, ships are not.

The grain only needs to arrive when they need it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2020, 03:53:54 am »
US military sends 3 cargo planes to Lebanon filled with medical supplies
Fox News, Aug 6, 2020

The U.S. military is sending three cargo planes to Lebanon filled with food, water, and medical supplies, the U.S. Central Command announced in a statement Thursday two days after a massive explosion in Beirut's port left at least 157 dead and some 5,000 injured.

Gen. Frank McKenzie, the commander of the U.S. Central Command, spoke with Lebanon Armed Forces Commander, Gen. Joseph Aoun, to express condolences for the loss of life and devastation caused by the explosion in Beirut's port facility, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement to Fox News.

Three C-17s shipments of U.S. relief supplies including food, water, and medical supplies would be delivered to Lebanon, Gen. McKenzie said, adding that the U.S. military was willing to continue to work with the Lebanese Armed Forces “to help provide aid and assistance to meet the needs of the Lebanese people during this terrible tragedy.” The planes departed from the Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar en route to Beirut, officials told Fox News.

Gen. McKenzie also “expressed a desire to continue to partner with the Lebanese Armed Forces, the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, and USAID to identify and expedite support for Lebanon's recovery effort.”

Volunteers and the Lebanese Red Cross continued to search for survivors and dead bodies trapped beneath the extensive damage seen for miles away from the explosion’s epicenter at the Port of Beirut, where Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab said 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive chemical used in fertilizers, came to be stored at the facility for six years.

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/world/beirut-explosion-us-military-medical-supplies-lebanon

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2020, 07:07:26 am »

I thought barges too, but then realized that I am sure the dock areas were oblivated too. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2020, 02:19:46 am »
NASA Maps Beirut Blast Damage

NASA JPL 8/7/2020

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7723

Scientists are using satellite data to map ground surface changes in the aftermath of the recent explosion.

NASA's Advanced Rapid Imaging and Analysis (ARIA) team, in collaboration with the Earth Observatory of Singapore, used satellite-derived synthetic aperture radar data to map the likely extent of damage from a massive Aug. 4 explosion in Beirut. Synthetic aperture radar data from space shows ground surface changes from before and after a major event like an earthquake. In this case, it is being used to show the devastating result of an explosion.

On the map, dark red pixels - like those present at and around the Port of Beirut - represent the most severe damage. Areas in orange are moderately damaged and areas in yellow are likely to have sustained somewhat less damage. Each colored pixel represents an area of 30 meters (33 yards).

Maps like this one can help identify badly damaged areas where people may need assistance. The explosion occurred near the city's port. It claimed more than 150 lives and is estimated to have caused billions of dollars' worth of damage.

The map contains modified Copernicus Sentinel data processed by ESA (European Space Agency) and analyzed by ARIA team scientists at NASA JPL, Caltech, and Earth Observatory of Singapore. Located in Pasadena, California, Caltech manages JPL for NASA.

More information on ARIA can be found here:https://aria.jpl.nasa.gov/

More at link.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2020, 02:44:44 am »

And YET....they bash my POTUS daily.  'They' being all negative, anti-American people, everywhere! I think he is perfect.
ALL MALE.   :seeya: :patriot: :patriot:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2020, 07:29:10 pm »
I don't care what anyone thinks of me ... except dogs. I want dogs to like me.

You are a wise man, a very wise man

@GtHawk

I can't argue with your brilliant assessment (except the "man" part since I'm a chick)! I consider dogs to be the most outstanding companions God created for us.

My heart ached for you from the first moment I saw your announcement about Rocky. I know how empty words of comfort can seem when you're in the throes of grief over your beloved companion, but I offer them to you anyway. I'm quite certain I'm not the only one whose eyes welled up upon seeing your graphic paying tribute to him. God bless and comfort you.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2020, 08:50:19 pm »
@GtHawk

I can't argue with your brilliant assessment (except the "man" part since I'm a chick)! I consider dogs to be the most outstanding companions God created for us.

My heart ached for you from the first moment I saw your announcement about Rocky. I know how empty words of comfort can seem when you're in the throes of grief over your beloved companion, but I offer them to you anyway. I'm quite certain I'm not the only one whose eyes welled up upon seeing your graphic paying tribute to him. God bless and comfort you.
@AllThatJazzZ
My apologies for making that ASSumption and thank you for the kind words. It's difficult since I live in a small apartment and his place was always by my side. I swear I still see him out of the corner of my eye.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2020, 04:27:49 am »
@AllThatJazzZ
I swear I still see him out of the corner of my eye.

@GtHawk

I know how that is. I would "see" mine and "hear" them as well. It took a while for those sensations to resolve. Rescuing my elderly little guy 5 months later helped. And now you'll have an energetic, inquisitive puppy to keep you busy, busy, busy. I kind of envy you, but, at my advanced age, I do NOT have the energy for a puppy.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.