Author Topic: Trump on coronavirus death toll: 'It is what it is'  (Read 1448 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump on coronavirus death toll: 'It is what it is'
« on: August 04, 2020, 04:41:09 pm »
Trump on coronavirus death toll: 'It is what it is'
By Justine Coleman - 08/04/20 07:44 AM EDT

President Trump said the coronavirus death toll “is what it is” during an interview with “Axios on HBO” broadcast late Monday.

The president told Axios’s Jonathan Swan that the COVID-19 pandemic is “under control as much as you can control it” in the U.S.

“They are dying, that's true. And you have — it is what it is,” Trump said. “But that doesn't mean we aren't doing everything we can. It's under control as much as you can control it. This is a horrible plague.”

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/510393-trump-on-coronavirus-death-toll-it-is-what-it-is
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Trump on coronavirus death toll: 'It is what it is'
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 05:20:24 pm »
The President is right.   It is what it is, and no amount of government edicts and arbitrary shutdowns of commerce are going to chase a virus away.

We all know what to do as individuals to protect ourselves.  It is up to each and every one of us to stay safe.  Whining about the government is pointless, unless of course you have an agenda different  than protecting the public's welfare..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:21:13 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:24:57 pm »
Flippant is not a good tone of candidate going into T Minus 95 days of the election of our lifetime.  Words are important Mr. President.

9999hair out0000
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:26:19 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:15:29 pm »
Flippant is not a good tone of candidate going into T Minus 95 days of the election of our lifetime.  Words are important Mr. President.

9999hair out0000

Sometimes I wonder if Trump really wants to be re-elected.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:20:08 pm »
It is what it is?  That must be Trump's version of "what difference does it make?"  I agree with Applewood I too wonder if Trump really wants to be re-elected.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:32:15 pm »
It is what it is?  That must be Trump's version of "what difference does it make?"  I agree with Applewood I too wonder if Trump really wants to be re-elected.

The remark shows an appalling lack of compassion.  But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I have said before his family is like a pack of jackals.  Only care about money and how much they can accumulate.  Ordinary people are only useful to get something.  For Trump people are only good as voters.  He really doesn't care if they are sick or dying.

Online berdie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:10:43 pm »

9999hair out0000

Flippant is a great description. I'm sure he meant no harm....but it comes off really bad. President Trump spends so much time shooting himself in the foot he should be an excellent shot by now.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 10:17:09 pm »
The remark shows an appalling lack of compassion.  But I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I have said before his family is like a pack of jackals.  Only care about money and how much they can accumulate.  Ordinary people are only useful to get something.  For Trump people are only good as voters.  He really doesn't care if they are sick or dying.

Are you under the belief that it "isn't what it is"?

If not, he was simply stating a truism...no need to get your panties in a wad over it like the Left does over every little micro-aggression.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:49:42 pm »

If not, he was simply stating a truism...no need to get your panties in a wad over it like the Left does over every little micro-aggression.

it was an ignorant, insensitive thing to say.  Of course, as a Trump supporter, you would see whatever comes out of his mouth as pearls of wisdom.   :thud:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 04:23:19 am »
it was an ignorant, insensitive thing to say.  Of course, as a Trump supporter, you would see whatever comes out of his mouth as pearls of wisdom.   :thud:

Are your own arguments against him so weak that you have to proclaim those who disagree with you as sycophants? Apparently so. I shouldn't really be surprised as its a typically vacuous type response of an NT. 

As for ignorant, clearly it was not. Because...well...it actually IS what it is. How could it be otherwise?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:25:06 am by Mesaclone »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 04:34:37 am »

Wrong.  Just saying, it is a fact. We have covid-19 in our country and ALL OVER THE WORLD.  Why would you interpret it THAT WAY...then punish him for what YOU THOUGHT?    888mouth

POTUS IS DOING US A FAVOR.  Not the other way around.  He works 100 hour weeks, 4 hours of sleep, take daily lies & slander and verbal abuse for ZERO PAY!  HE IS DOING VOLUNTEER WORK FOR AMERICA.  Some of you need to understand that.   WWW.MAGAPILL.COM   Go to 42:00  LISTEN.  A QUALITY MAN. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 04:38:18 am »

9999hair out0000

Oh...Good Lord!  He does short hand speak.  What do you people want?  A NANNY? DAILY, to soothe your brow?   Nothing he does, makes most of you 'happy'.  What does that say about you?  PICK, PICK, PICK, PICK, PICK...PICK A LITTLE HARDER.  Again..it was NOT flippant.  THAT is your interpretation of his FACTUAL STATEMENT.

MANY VIDEO'S OF HIM SAYING, EVEN ONE DEATH IS TOO MANY FOR HIM, FROM COVID.  The economy tanked to SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES.  LIVES WERE MORE IMPORTANT TO HIM. 
.  Hello?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:53:39 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 05:03:40 am »

All wrong on everything you said and backwards. He is full of compassion.  His whole life.  I could point out his many good works...BUT IT WOULD FALL ON YOUR DEAF EARS.  How do you write so many lies in one paragraph?  TRUMPS are doing volunteer work for America and NONE, ZERO, take any pay for doing this work.  They all lived a very pleasant life.  There was no need to do this work. POTUS wanted to give back to America for his good life it provided him and his family.  They had, money, fame, books written, a TV SHOW.  Now, they get slandered daily & totally unappreciated.  WE NEED POTUS TRUMP.  NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. TRUMP ENVY CONSUMES YOU.  HOW YOU CAN'T SEE HIS MANY GOOD WORKS....is amazing to me.  WWW.MAGAPILL.COM

Offline dancer

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
They don't want to see, LegalAmerican.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:56 am »
The President is right.   It is what it is, and no amount of government edicts and arbitrary shutdowns of commerce are going to chase a virus away.

@Jazzhead

You mean they can't just pass a law and make it go away?

I hope they break this news gently to the typical Dim voter. Otherwise the trauma may be too great for them to bear. It would be like having a priest tell a Nun that God doesn't exist.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:00 am »
 66minnie

@Applewood

Really addicted to the Dim Kool Ade,ain't ya?

BTW,the Class Envy is soooo "1960's".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:15:47 am by sneakypete »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 10:48:14 am »
66minnie
@Applewood

Really addicted to the Dim Kool Ade,ain't ya?

BTW,the Class Envy is soooo "1960's".

@sneakypete

I don't need anyone to tell me what he said.  I heard and read it myself. And what he said will not win him any more voters.

Class Envy?  My friend, Trump has nothing I would ever want. 

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 02:51:48 pm »
@sneakypete

I don't need anyone to tell me what he said.  I heard and read it myself. And what he said will not win him any more voters.

Its a phrase the man uses constantly...its a simple way of acknowledging that some things, like pandemics, can't simply be wished away. I just heard him use it with regards to the upcoming debates as he was opining that they couldn't move the first debate up to late August...he said "it is what it is"...acknowledging that he has no power to change that fact.

I get that you WANT to swallow the Left wing's...pablum. But sheesh...try thinking for yourself for a change.

And for the record, what wins him votes is NOT being full of shit...not having every phrase "poll tested" prior to utterance. Not "canning" every idea in front of a focus group to ensure it meets political correctness guidelines...and not worrying that the "Karen's" out there will be SHOCKED by an off the cuff common phrase that isn't uber-sensitive. In essence, he just assumes we're all adults...who know the meaning of, and can handle the use of, a basic phrase like "it is what it is". Apparently, in your case, he was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:54:56 pm by Mesaclone »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 03:01:54 pm »

I get that you WANT to swallow the Left wing's...pablum. But sheesh...try thinking for yourself for a change.

Nope...  It reeks of flippant.  "It is what it is" infers an attitude of minimizing past impacts. It shows a lack of empathy for others.  Think about it, what if an MD told you "it is what it is" after losing a loved one.  Trump's not an MD, but your lack of putting this comment in proper perspective is troubling.   I guess some can justify basically anything Trump says.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 06:41:53 pm »
Nope...  It reeks of flippant.  "It is what it is" infers an attitude of minimizing past impacts. It shows a lack of empathy for others. 
Think about it, what if an MD told you "it is what it is" after losing a loved one. 
Trump's not an MD, but your lack of putting this comment in proper perspective is troubling.   I guess some can justify basically anything Trump says.

@catfish1957

It would be an improvement over "Suck it up,buttercup!"

Not a lot of empathy in the family I grew up in.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 06:48:00 pm »
They don't want to see, LegalAmerican.

:thumbsup:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »

Now 'it is what it is' triggers some people. Its hard to imagine a more inoffensive statement.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 06:51:23 pm »

88devil

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 06:55:17 pm »
Nope...  It reeks of flippant.  "It is what it is" infers an attitude of minimizing past impacts. It shows a lack of empathy for others.  Think about it, what if an MD told you "it is what it is" after losing a loved one.  Trump's not an MD, but your lack of putting this comment in proper perspective is troubling.   I guess some can justify basically anything Trump says.

Wrong.  How many deaths are acceptable?  NONE... SAYS POTUS.  . POTUS HAS SAID THAT MANY TIMES.  Even losing our economy to SAVE LIVES.   

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Applewood

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 07:01:00 pm »

And for the record, what wins him votes is NOT being full of shit...not having every phrase "poll tested" prior to utterance. Not "canning" every idea in front of a focus group to ensure it meets political correctness guidelines...and not worrying that the "Karen's" out there will be SHOCKED by an off the cuff common phrase that isn't uber-sensitive. In essence, he just assumes we're all adults...who know the meaning of, and can handle the use of, a basic phrase like "it is what it is". Apparently, in your case, he was wrong.

I don't need the media or the left, or for that matter, Fox News, Sean Hannity and Trump's many other supporters, including those on this site, to tell me how to think.  I don't need the endless explanations, clarifications and spin of what Trump said.  I may have hearing loss and half the time I don't know what Trump is trying to say.  But I heard "it is what it is" and to me it was just one more example of Trump's total callousness and lack of empathy. 

Put yourself in the position of someone who has or had COVID or who may have lost loved ones to this virus. Would you want to hear those words from the President of the United States -- the guy who is supposed to be a leader, who is supposed to provide guidance and reassurance in a time of crisis?  That phrase is hardly reassuring, not at all empathetic and certainly doesn't provide any guidance. I should think most people who have even an ounce of empathy and compassion would be turned off by this phrase.  Only those who are just as callous toward others as Trump is would see nothing wrong with "it is  what it is."

And I guess that would be you.