Author Topic: Pittsburgh launching guaranteed income program  (Read 856 times)

rangerrebew

Pittsburgh launching guaranteed income program
« on: August 04, 2020, 01:41:21 pm »
Pittsburgh launching guaranteed income program

Jazz ShawPosted at 3:31 pm on August 2, 2020

This is a trend that started on the west coast in Stockton, California, later expanding to a discussion of doing it for the entire state. And now it’s jumped across the country to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We’re talking yet again about the idea of a basic income guarantee program, where select citizens are assured some level of income even if they are unable or unwilling to work. The Mayor of the city that’s home to the Steelers is Bill Peduto and he sounds as if he thinks this program could be a real winner. (CBS Pittsburgh)

“A number of people in the city of Pittsburgh will be chosen to be able to receive a monthly stipend, basically a debit card,” said Mayor Peduto.

He said the “guaranteed income” means an extra $500 a month. The city will jump-start the program using a portion of the $10 million from Jack Dorsey at Twitter.

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/08/02/pittsburgh-launching-guaranteed-income-program/

Offline Applewood

Re: Pittsburgh launching guaranteed income program
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:39:26 pm »
@mountaineer

I can't wait till the money runs out and city folks have to pony up to keep this "guaranteed income" thing going. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:44:08 pm »
Idiots!   All useful,  communist,  IDIOTS!   

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 07:46:59 pm »
I can't wait till the money runs out and city folks have to pony up to keep this "guaranteed income" thing going.
Will there be anyone left in the city to pay for it?
Every day, another stupid notion from Mayor Bad Santa.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:56:26 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:47 pm »

Trouble is the people who live in Pittsburgh love this guy.  They vote for him and the rest of the Democrats all the time.  I have friends who live in the city and I tell them they are foolish for voting for this nonsense.  Don't they realize how much it's going to cost them?

Goes right over their heads. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any friends or acquaintances who live in the city - all in the suburbs, which are bad enough.
I love many of the city neighborhoods, but never would live there as long as idiots like Peduto are in power.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 10:06:42 pm »
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any friends or acquaintances who live in the city - all in the suburbs, which are bad enough.
I love many of the city neighborhoods, but never would live there as long as idiots like Peduto are in power.

Some of the neighborhoods are indeed very nice and some have just about every amenity.  One of my friends has grocery stores, churches, a gym, restaurants, hair salons, nail salons, and so forth, all within walking distance.  But it's very expensive to live in the city.  And there is plenty of crime.  A few years ago, a number of buildings downtown were converted into condominiums and high end rental apartments.  It was a major effort to get people to relocate from suburbia to downtown and it worked...for a time.  But then it became unsafe even in the daytime.  I have heard of a number of city residents have since sublet or sold their downtown apartments/condos and fled to the relative safety of suburbia. 

But this mayor is totally oblivious to the city's ongoing problems.  He would rather gouge the taxpayers for resources to spend on bicycle lanes and idiot programs like this basic guaranteed income scheme.