Author Topic: Trump says he's considering executive action to suspend evictions, suspend payroll tax  (Read 467 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says he's considering executive action to suspend evictions, suspend payroll tax
By Morgan Chalfant - 08/03/20 07:27 PM EDT

President Trump said Monday that he is considering taking executive action to halt evictions and suspend payroll tax collection, as coronavirus relief talks see slow progress on Capitol Hill.

“I could do that if I want and I want to do that. I don’t want people to be evicted,” Trump told reporters at a press conference Monday evening when asked about his suggestion earlier in the day that he could act unilaterally to suspend evictions.

Trump noted that individuals who are evicted often go to shelters, where the coronavirus can easily spread easily because of crowding.

“They’re thrown out viciously. It’s not their fault. It’s not their fault, it’s China’s fault,” Trump said, continuing to blame China, where the virus originated, for the pain inflicted on Americans.

Trump also asserted that he had unilateral authority to suspend the payroll tax.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/510365-trump-says-hes-considering-executive-action-to-suspend-evictions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Trump says he's considering executive action to suspend evictions, suspend payroll tax
By Morgan Chalfant - 08/03/20 07:27 PM EDT

President Trump said Monday that he is considering taking executive action to halt evictions and suspend payroll tax collection, as coronavirus relief talks see slow progress on Capitol Hill.

“I could do that if I want and I want to do that. I don’t want people to be evicted,” Trump told reporters at a press conference Monday evening when asked about his suggestion earlier in the day that he could act unilaterally to suspend evictions.

Trump noted that individuals who are evicted often go to shelters, where the coronavirus can easily spread easily because of crowding.

“They’re thrown out viciously. It’s not their fault. It’s not their fault, it’s China’s fault,” Trump said, continuing to blame China, where the virus originated, for the pain inflicted on Americans.

Trump also asserted that he had unilateral authority to suspend the payroll tax.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/510365-trump-says-hes-considering-executive-action-to-suspend-evictions

At some point in time we need to get back to the objective of getting people back to work so that they can pay their rent or mortgage.  Suspending payroll tax is going to have a negative impact on already strained programs; Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
At some point in time we need to get back to the objective of getting people back to work so that they can pay their rent or mortgage.  Suspending payroll tax is going to have a negative impact on already strained programs; Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.
Perhaps in the short term those programs would be negatively impacted, but the idea of keeping what you earn would appeal to those who are considering returning to work, and to businesses who would have much simpler book keeping.

It's a way to give returning to work a leg up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:46:49 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

Only in the short run. Increasing wages by 7.5% will be an incentive to get back to work, which will also get the economy moving.

The eviction suspension is going to have a bad ripple effect throughout the economy. We are already going to see a big vacancy increase in commercial space and bankruptcy of companies. In addition, the inability of landlords to get non-paying tenants out makes paying property taxes as well as employees and contractors even more difficult.

The only solution is to get everything opened up and to isolate the highest risk groups of the Wuhan virus. It's not going to happen because our medical emergency is more about politics than health. All we can do at this point is pray that the Pubs have a big victory in Nov. If not I don't see a positive future for the USA as founded.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home