Author Topic: Demo Crew Mission Return Live Thread!  (Read 3349 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Demo Crew Mission Return Live Thread!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 10:39:03 pm »
The previous splashdowns were in the pre-internet days, and yes they were televised by the big 3 networks.  Today with the internet just go to NASA or SpaceX online and watch it live.

I have NASA TV on my Fire Stick.  We watched it on streaming.  Proud of our SpaceX crew dragon and crew!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:41 pm »
The previous splashdowns were in the pre-internet days, and yes they were televised by the big 3 networks.  Today with the internet just go to NASA or SpaceX online and watch it live.

Thank you.  I was aware that I can find these things online.  I just miss the old days when space launches, splashdowns and everything in between were all over the tv -- back when the media used to consider these missions important, when they had pride in these successful missions.  Now these are largely ignored. What the H happened to pride in the greatness of America?  Now all we get is whining. 

I'm being an old lady longing for the good old days.  Don't mind me. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 11:16:01 pm »
I only watch local tv for maybe 30 minutes in the morning. For everything else I go online, except for ball games when I hafta.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 11:30:27 pm »
Thank you.  I was aware that I can find these things online.  I just miss the old days when space launches, splashdowns and everything in between were all over the tv -- back when the media used to consider these missions important, when they had pride in these successful missions.  Now these are largely ignored. What the H happened to pride in the greatness of America?  Now all we get is whining. 

I'm being an old lady longing for the good old days.  Don't mind me.

Hey, back then Walter Cronkite had the space gig, where he couldn't pollute his coverage with his hatred for America, as we later came to learn about old Walt.  I remember them, too.  I was in Elementary school, and the teacher would wheel in the big TV so the class could watch the launches and splashdowns.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:01 pm »
Hey, back then Walter Cronkite had the space gig, where he couldn't pollute his coverage with his hatred for America, as we later came to learn about old Walt.  I remember them, too.  I was in Elementary school, and the teacher would wheel in the big TV so the class could watch the launches and splashdowns.

At home we watched ABC.  The network had a science editor -- Jules Bergman -- who would explain everything in layman's terms.  I liked that.

If we kids were in school during one of these missions, we would be herded into the auditorium to watch the coverage.  it was almost always CBS and Cronkite.  I used to get a kick out of him.  He would have these tiny models he used as props to explain what was going on.  Well,  at least that was the stated purpose of the models.  Sometimes I think Cronkite just loved to play with these models like a little kid with toys.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 12:08:05 am »
The fact that SpaceX beat Boeing says a lot about the company. But the bigger picture is this.. Just think we will no longer have to rely on the Russians for trips to space ever again.
SpaceX is more innovative I think, new and fresh ideas. Boeing is mired in bureaucracy and business as usual.   

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 12:14:31 am »
SpaceX is more innovative I think, new and fresh ideas. Boeing is mired in bureaucracy and business as usual.
As someone who is an engineer in aerospace and works with, um large airframe OEMs, I can tell you what it likely is:  the individual engineers are full of ingenious, inventive ideas.  And then there is the (usually certification) group that interfaces with the govt agencies (e.g. FAA). Those folks have never seen a new idea worthy of consideration.  They are masters of the “no”.   And as they have one of the final design approvals, guess what happens...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 12:22:41 am »
As someone who is an engineer in aerospace and works with, um large airframe OEMs, I can tell you what it likely is:  the individual engineers are full of ingenious, inventive ideas.  And then there is the (usually certification) group that interfaces with the govt agencies (e.g. FAA). Those folks have never seen a new idea worthy of consideration.  They are masters of the “no”.   And as they have one of the final design approvals, guess what happens...

And that's the natural order of things.  The ossified falls to the new and vibrant.  Creative Destruction.  Someday, it will be SpaceX on the short end of the stick.

It's the circle of Life, Simba!
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2020, 02:36:40 pm »
SpaceX's toasted Crew Dragon returns home after historic NASA astronaut splashdown

Space.com by Amy Thompson 8/8/2020

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-demo-2-home-port-arrival.html

It looks like a toasted marshmallow.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule cruised into its home port Friday evening (Aug. 7), secured to one of the company’s recovery vessels.

Onlookers gathered at Jetty Park (while social distancing) in anticipation of the Crew Dragon’s arrival after the capsule's historic splashdown on Aug. 2 that returned NASA astronauts Bob Benken and Doug Hurley to Earth. The mission, SpaceX's first crewed flight, was NASA's first orbital crewed flight from U.S. soil since 2011.

Jetty Park — a popular launch viewing location — is located at the mouth of the port, and all marine traffic comes through this point. Typically packed with excited space fans waiting to see a launch, Jetty Park has been closed during most of the pandemic, but recently reopened in phases. 

The SpaceX recovery ship carrying Crew Dragon, named GO Navigator, pulled into port just after 5:30 p.m. EST (2130 GMT) on Friday. Crew members on board the ship waved at onlookers as the vessel made its short trek through the channel.

The ship and Crew Dragon were quickly moved into a U.S. Navy submarine basin, where the vehicle would be offloaded and transported to SpaceX's Cape Canaveral facilities. (Typically, when SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket first stages arrive in port after landing on one of the company’s drone ships, the boosters are towed to SpaceX's dock, further into the port).

More at link.