Author Topic: 1 US Marine dead, 8 missing off coast of California in training exercise  (Read 467 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Ryan Morgan  July 31, 2020

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates as more information becomes available.

One U.S. Marine has died and eight more remain unaccounted for after an accident involving an Amphibious Assault Vehicle (AAV) off the coast of California Thursday.

“1 Marine has died, 8 service members remain missing and 2 were injured after an AAV mishap July 30 off the coast of Southern California. All are assigned to the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (15th MEU). Search and rescue efforts are still underway with support from the Navy and Coast Guard,” the I Marine Expeditionary Force (I MEF) confirmed the incident in a Tweet Friday.

1 Marine has died, 8 service members remain missing and 2 were injured after an AAV mishap July 30 off the coast of Southern California. All are assigned to the 15th MEU. Search and rescue efforts are still underway with support from the Navy and Coast Guard.

— I MEF (@1stMEF) July 31, 2020

There were 15 Marines and one U.S. Navy sailor were inside the vehicle for the training exercise near San Clemente Island, when it began taking on water around 5:45 p.m. Thursday night, according to an I MEF provided to NBC News. Rescue efforts are still ongoing for the eight other Marines. The I MEF said it would investigate the incident.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/07/1-us-marine-dead-8-missing-off-coast-of-california-in-training-exercise/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bodies of Marines and sailor recovered from the seafloor off California coast

American Military News  August 08, 2020 Erika I. Ritchie - The Orange County Register

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/08/bodies-of-marines-and-sailor-recovered-from-the-seafloor-off-california-coast/

The bodies of seven Marines and a sailor found inside a 26-ton Marine Corps seafaring vehicle were raised from the ocean floor on Friday, Aug. 7, a week after they sank during a training accident off San Clemente Island.

Families were notified Friday by visits from Marine Corps officers and chaplains. They will get a chance to see their loved ones during an “honorable carry” at Naval Base San Diego as Navy and Marine pallbearers place their flag-draped coffins aboard an aircraft headed to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. At the Air Force base, military personnel will conduct an honorable transfer, and the servicemen will later be released to their families according to their wishes, Marine Corps officials said.

“The agony of waiting is an unimaginable pain,” said Evelyn Baltierra, who was relieved to get the news that her son, Pfc. Bryan Baltierra, was found. “We now know that my son will be coming home soon to rest in peace. We are so grateful for the efficiency of the military’s rescue efforts.”

It was exactly one week ago, that Marine Corps officials notified her and her family that he was missing.

“Our hearts and thoughts of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit are with the families of our recovered Marines and sailor,” said Col. Christopher Bronzi, commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit. “We hope the successful recovery of our fallen warriors brings some measure of comfort.”

More at link.

Offline LegalAmerican

So sad.  RIP. 

I HOPE NO SABOTAGE......