Author Topic: Portland hits feds with $500 fine every 15 minutes fence stands outside besieged courthouse  (Read 1985 times)

rangerrebew

Portland hits feds with $500 fine every 15 minutes fence stands outside besieged courthouse
City official says feds owed $192,000 as of Monday
By Sam Dorman | Fox News

Fox News was given a behind the scenes look at the federal agents who are defending the building; national correspondent William La Jeunesse reports.

The city of Portland, Ore. is fining the federal government $500 for every 15 minutes it maintains unpermitted fencing outside of the federal courthouse that has faced nightly attacks amid ongoing protests and rioting.

City Commissioner Chloe Eudaly said in a statement Tuesday that the fencing is obstructing the street outside of the courthouse. As of Monday, she said, the federal government owed Portland $192,000.

"We intend to collect," said Eudaly, who added that she was "committed to doing everything in my power to end this federal occupation and move forward with our community's reckoning with racial injustice and our efforts to transform our approach to policing and public safety."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/portland-maximum-fines-federal-government-fence-courthouse

rangerrebew

If Trump is re-elected, this mayor stands to lose more than $500 every 15 minutes. :thumbsdown:

Offline Stevensr123

Bit weird people are defending this, at the same time they are against big government, HYPOCRISY

Offline verga

Seems like it is on federal property, not city property.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline skeeter

Bit weird people are defending this, at the same time they are against big government, HYPOCRISY

Defending what - feds protecting federal property?

Offline Stevensr123

Defending what - feds protecting federal property?
the fence is blocking the stats property bike lane, that isn’t federal property, hence why the city is charging them.

Offline AL

OMG, the snowflake lane for bikes is cut off.  How can they cope.  Maybe they need armed federal troops in town to take care of their mess, then again if Portland were to burn to ashes who'd care.

Offline skeeter

the fence is blocking the stats property bike lane, that isn’t federal property, hence why the city is charging them.

I'm no hypocrite. I'm totally against Big Government blocking bike lanes.

Offline goatprairie

If Trump is re-elected, this mayor stands to lose more than $500 every 15 minutes. :thumbsdown:
I'd be satisfied to see the mayor and the other leftist clowns in charge hauled away in chains to Leavenworth.

Offline goatprairie

Me too. I am totally against bike lanes being blocked, and I will not have it in my house.  22222frying pan

Offline LegalAmerican

I'd be satisfied to see the mayor and the other leftist clowns in charge hauled away in chains to Leavenworth.

DITTO.  Most demon-rats need a STRAIGHT JACKET,  to be hauled away with!  BTW.  Each state receives FEDERAL FUNDS for their budget, from our 1040 taxes.  Also ,schools are funded by federal funds.  I think, 1,000 per child.  Guess who won't be getting ANY?   DEMON-RAT CLOWNS!  Try to 'collect'. That money comes from all of us in all states! 

Offline rustynail

Remove the fence.  Park tanks.

Offline LegalAmerican

Remove the fence.  Park tanks.

I had to giggle.  Yes, facing outward with those 'gun' things facing them!  Look at this.  BLM, ANTIFA. USING GUNS TO STOP TRAFFIC AND THREATENING  CITIZENS.  KILLING POLICE.  MASS SHOOTINGS. GLOBALIST TAKEOVER.

http://www.infowars.com/watch-live-gates-demands-more-censorship-smears-technocrats-fear-doctors/

#AlexJones
#AlexJonesShow LIVE: Global Emergency Exclusive - #Antifa Planning Terror Attacks, Mass Shootings!

🔥 TUNE IN: https://banned.video/channel/the-alex-jones-show

GLOBAL EMERGENCY EXCLUSIVE: ANTIFA PLANNING TERROR ATTACKS, MASS SHOOTINGS
Tune in as we reveal the extent of civil unrest in the United States while the country tries to reassert itself as the land of the free:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:19:46 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No word about 'protesters' with fire bombs....do they get fined, too?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
OMG, the snowflake lane for bikes is cut off.  How can they cope. 

@AL

They obviously need to go out and play in the traffic.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@skeeter

Even when it is necessary in order to protect federal property?

I am GUESSING that building was there a long time before the bicycle lanes showed up.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Even when it is necessary in order to protect federal property?

I am GUESSING that building was there a long time before the bicycle lanes showed up.

I agree. Just making fun of Stevie.

Offline Smokin Joe

So.....If they are de-funding their police, who is going to write the ticket?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Feds (Shockingly!) Unresponsive to Portland's $2000/Hour Fine for Fence Erected to Protect Courthouse

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/jeff-reynolds/2020/08/06/feds-shockingly-unresponsive-to-portlands-2000-hour-fine-for-fence-erected-to-protect-courthouse-n759102

Last week, Portland City Council imposed fines on the federal government for the fence surrounding the federal courthouse, which has come under siege by protesters. Portland is collectively upset that the fence, which was erected to ward off violent protesters, is blocking their precious bike lanes. Today’s update: the fines have hit $584,000, with the feds so far unresponsive.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

I suppose a simple, two word reply would be an instance of excessive candor?

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I'm ashamed I used to call myself libertarian. They're worse than the liberals IMO. I piss on their graves.

Offline Smokin Joe

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

:tongue2:

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So.....If they are de-funding their police, who is going to write the ticket?

@Smokin Joe

LOL! Excellent question!

I hope Trump tells them to just take it out of the federal money they will NOT be getting this year.

Offline PeteS in CA

An update on this, https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/483450-389879-feds-to-portland-were-not-paying-courthouse-fence-fines

Feds to Portland: We're not paying courthouse fence fines

The Department of Homeland Security has racked up millions of dollars in fines — on paper — from two city bureaus irked by the iron barricade wrapped around the city's federal courthouse.

The feds have no intention of paying.

In fact, Homeland Security says the financial penalties imposed by the Portland Bureau of Transportation and Bureau of Environmental Services are unlawful, citing an argument straight from a civics textbook: the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

In letters to both bureaus, David A. Hess, an assistant director for the Federal Protective Service, pointed to the clause — which says that, in most cases, federal law trumps a conflicting state law.

"The Federal Government is absolutely immune from fines or penalties issued by local governments unless there is a clear waiver of sovereign immunity by Congress," Hess wrote, according to copies of the letters obtained by Pamplin Media. "There has been no such waiver here."
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.