Author Topic: Scientists celebrate ‘breakthrough’ blood test for Alzheimer’s  (Read 421 times)

Online mountaineer

Scientists celebrate ‘breakthrough’ blood test for Alzheimer’s
By Yaron Steinbuch
July 28, 2020 | 2:04pm
An experimental blood test was highly accurate in detecting Alzheimer’s disease, scientists reported Tuesday — a promising breakthrough that could make diagnosis simple, affordable and widely available.

The test was able to determine whether people with dementia had Alzheimer’s instead of another condition, the New York Times reported. It also identified signs of Alzheimer’s 20 years before memory and thinking problems were expected in people with a genetic mutation that causes the degenerative, deadly disease, the outlet said.

“This blood test very, very accurately predicts who’s got Alzheimer’s disease in their brain, including people who seem to be normal,” Dr. Michael Weiner, an Alzheimer’s disease researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, told The Times. ...
More at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Idiot

BUT...would you really want to know you were going to get it?  You might very well kill yourself.

Offline Applewood

BUT...would you really want to know you were going to get it?  You might very well kill yourself.

There are times I believe I already have it -- or at least some form of dementia.  This test may confirm it.

Actually though, I think by being able to accurately diagnose Alzheimer's, we may get closer to finding a cure.  And that would be a good thing. 

Online roamer_1

There are times I believe I already have it -- or at least some form of dementia.  This test may confirm it.

Actually though, I think by being able to accurately diagnose Alzheimer's, we may get closer to finding a cure.  And that would be a good thing.

I don't have Oldtimers... Just Sometimers...  :shrug: :silly:

Offline Applewood

I don't have Oldtimers... Just Sometimers...  :shrug: :silly:

:thumbsup:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

My biggest fear in life, is knowing I’ll have it in my old age. This brings up a whole bunch of questions.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

Signs of my father's early onset dementia (Lewy body variant) appeared around age 60, and he was dead at 69. So I've been extremely aware of my own mental sharpness. Am I forgetting things? Do I forget words? Should I do a few more crossword puzzles?  After the autopsy, the doctors said his type probably wasn't hereditary - I hope so!

Offline Idiot

We have some neighbor/friends whose father died in his 50's from alzheimers.  He became very mean as the disease progressed.  Since it appeared that alzheimers was inherited in their family they became part of a study at Texas Tech to look at their DNA, genes etc. 

I don't remember like I used to for sure, but then again I've always been horrible with people's names out of pure laziness.

I certainly wouldn't wish alzheimers on anyone.....

Offline Applewood

Signs of my father's early onset dementia (Lewy body variant) appeared around age 60, and he was dead at 69. So I've been extremely aware of my own mental sharpness. Am I forgetting things? Do I forget words? Should I do a few more crossword puzzles?  After the autopsy, the doctors said his type probably wasn't hereditary - I hope so!

If you forget things, it may or may not be a sign of dementia.  I think most of us at one time or another go blank, particularly if we are under stress or tired.  I expect being on lockdown, particularly for the first few months when COVID hit,  has also turned brains into mush.

I had an uncle who many years ago used to buy those puzzle books -- crosswords, circle the word, etc.    He claimed doing those puzzles kept his mind sharp.  I think it worked for him because till the day he died, he was as sharp as a tack.

When I had a cardiac arrest back in 2008, I know I lost some brain function from lack of oxygen to the brain.  When I got out of the hospital, I was encouraged to do whatever it took to at the very least preserve the few brain cells I had left.  A friend of mine gifted me with a subscription to Luminosity, an internet program of games designed to stimulate brain function.  Some of those games aren't easy, but that's ok.  Can't improve or preserve brain function without challenges. 

Even playing games like Solitaire or its variations like Spider Solitaire are beneficial.  I've also found that debating issues on this forum are stimulating for my pea brain.  I don't know that exercising the brain will necessarily prevent dementia, but maybe it will help to keep us sharp for as long as possible.  And that's ok by me.

Online mountaineer

I don't know that exercising the brain will necessarily prevent dementia, but maybe it will help to keep us sharp for as long as possible.  And that's ok by me.
Yep. It's supposed to be good for us, so I'll keep doing the crosswords.