Author Topic: Houston police chief retires suddenly after questions raised about more than 260,000 suspended inves  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Houston police chief retires suddenly after questions raised about more than 260,000 suspended investigations
Story by Andy Rose, CNN • 13h

Houston’s police chief unexpectedly retired from the force Tuesday night amid questions about a department policy that allowed hundreds of thousands of cases to be suspended, including sexual abuse cases, according to the mayor’s office.

Troy Finner had served as the chief of the Houston Police Department since 2021, capping off a 34-year career with the department.

“I consider Troy Finner a friend. It was tough to accept his retirement, but it was in the best interest of Houstonians,” Houston Mayor John Whitmire said in an impromptu news conference Wednesday.

The retirement announcement came hours after an internal email obtained by CNN affiliate KHOU showed Finner referring to an investigation being suspended due to “lack of personnel,” in 2018, three years before he had said he was aware of the policy.
Finner was executive assistant chief over patrol operations at the time the email was written.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/houston-police-chief-retires-suddenly-after-questions-raised-about-more-than-260-000-suspended-investigations/ar-BB1m3JtZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=6571edf8607f4ef08cd127bf6bc7bb9e&ei=35
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

He has more decorations than an Army general (except Milley, of course)

An email at the center of news reports that Police Chief Troy Finner was aware of a code used to suspend more than 260,000 incident reports was the “final straw” in his sudden decision to retire, Houston Mayor John Whitmire told reporters Wednesday.

The announcement of his retirement came in the form of an email to city employees last Tuesday night. A spokesperson for the mayor’s office told Houston Public Media on Wednesday that Finner’s notice of retirement was given verbally, and the city has not yet received a retirement letter.

His resignation comes a week after the Houston Police Department wrapped up an investigation into the thousands of police cases that were suspended by an internal lack of personnel code. However, according to Whitmire, the internal investigation was reopened just days later.  ...

According to Whitmire, HPD’s internal investigation has, so far, given “no indication that [Asst. Chief Satterwhite] knew anything” about a code that was reportedly used to suspend more than 264,000 unreviewed incident reports over the last eight years. The same can’t be said for Finner, whose retirement came just hours after TV stations reported Finner knew of the code as far back as 2018 — despite his claims that he learned of the code during a meeting in Nov. 2021.  ...

Over the last few months, Finner had promised to release findings of the investigation, but those have yet to be disclosed. ...
More at Houston Public Media
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org