Author Topic: California company buys electrical power from Texas wind farm  (Read 743 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
OK Energy Today by Jerry Bohnen 7/23/2020

Some of the power produced by a southwest Texas wind project is being purchased by a California solar cell manufacturer.

Applied Materials Inc., a company with 21,000 employees and headquartered in Santa Clara, California announced it is buying electricity from Apex Clean Energy’s 500-MW White Mesa wind project according to a report by Renewables Now.

The US company said this week it has signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) for 10% of the wind farm’s entire output, or as much electricity as will be needed to meet the consumption of more than 13,000 homes.

More: http://www.okenergytoday.com/2020/07/california-company-buys-electrical-power-from-texas-wind-farm/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: California company buys electrical power from Texas wind farm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
I wonder what will be the losses during transmission from Texas to California for this?

Pretty hefty I would guess.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »
Publicity stunt. Nothing more.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
I wonder what will be the losses during transmission from Texas to California for this?

A typical maximum transmission distance is about 300 miles (483 kilometers).
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 07:01:40 pm »

Normal transmission line losses are about 2%. Given the distance they are talking about here, you could probably safely double that.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 10:58:59 pm »
By the time that power arrives in CA, it will have probably been "mixed up" with energy from other parts of the grid, as well - from fossil fuel generation.

Who can say which electrons are which...?

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 12:32:36 pm »
On the power grid, electricity flows in the least resistive path. That is independent of purchases like California buying out of state power from a wind farm, the actual energy arriving is from the same least resistant path. Power companies have installed metering to register power into and out of these interchange substations. For a single company, like my old company Toledo Edison, we had 11 interchanges. My department tested these meters and associated equipment. So our company as a whole knew if we were into a net sell or net buy situation at any moment.

Companies mostly have this run or managed by an energy system to know if we need to buy or sell. Independent of any of that, the power flows independent of the scheduled buys or sells. It is after the fact that the net flows are determined and an economic adjustment is made. It can be complex.

So as I said before, this is all a political stunt. California has no basis other than a piece of paper who they are actually getting power from. It is all just a net in or out situation for each and every company.

No doubt some executive in California improved his resume by all these shenanigans. Maybe enough for that sought after promotion. Ya know, these are usually poor choice executives.

California has long screwed electric customers of all sorts and the California electric utilities. It is a long standing issue. Additionally California as in many states go through hell to get state approvals for a new plant. California is a net importer of energy and has been for quite awhile.

California and many other states have this fear of a power plant of any sort but especially a fear of nuclear power. Those opposing power plant construction also provide significant barriers to constructing transmission lines. Delays are probably the largest cost element in planning for their companies future needs.

Solar plants are a boondoggle. They are government subsidized which shows they are not economically viable. They are mostly sold on appearances. Spain went this road a few decades ago, and has largely closed all these wind plants.

When you next hear someone promoting wind, solar, or some other free power sounding system, tell them to put that concept where the sun doesn't shine.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 01:04:41 pm »
Publicity stunt. Nothing more.
Virtue signaling, just like the annoying Amazon TV ads that tout how environmentally conscious that company is.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org