Author Topic: Our Second Amendment: A rejection of nobility  (Read 685 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Our Second Amendment: A rejection of nobility
« on: July 25, 2020, 03:34:24 pm »
The Hill By John M. DeMaggio 7/18/2020

Today people immediately consider “arms” to be guns. But in the long run-up to American independence — in medieval, pre-colonial and colonial times — arms for “bearing” were usually edged weapons, especially swords.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art tells us that in medieval times “generally speaking only noblemen were allowed to carry a sword in public.”

Plinio Correa de Oliveira writes in “What is the Symbol of Nobility and Power? And Why?” that “The people of the Middle Ages regarded the sword with a certain profundity, esteeming it as a symbol of man’s God-given nobility.”

Under the Second Amendment, while “keep… arms” bolsters the First Amendment’s guaranteed religious freedom, the right to “bear arms” solidified the Constitutional rejection of “Titles of Nobility” and reaffirmed that “all men are created equal” with an “equal station” as stated in the Declaration of Independence.

I wonder if opposition to the Second Amendment’s right of people to “bear arms” might also be — at some level — a rejection of the “equal station” of all people, a reaffirmation of a sort of “Nobility,” a sense of privilege by an established “professional political class?”

More: https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/507948-our-second-amendment-a-rejection-of-nobility

Offline EdinVA

Re: Our Second Amendment: A rejection of nobility
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 04:03:45 pm »
This guy lost me.... the point is we should all be carrying swords?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 09:18:03 pm »

No. This is the jist of his article, this question:

I wonder if opposition to the Second Amendment’s right of people to “bear arms” might also be — at some level — a rejection of the “equal station” of all people, a reaffirmation of a sort of “Nobility,” a sense of privilege by an established “professional political class?”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:33:11 pm »

The sword discussion was an analogy, to the days when only aristocrats could own them.  Firearms were an "everyman" weapon more freely available, and the commoners should have the same weapons capability as the aristocrats.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 01:01:13 am »
The wisest of all cultures/societies who walked this earth, were the Greeks; an undisputed reality!
Among their wisest was Plato, who told the world that the reservoir of Man's creativity and inspiration
was his Soul which differentiated each and every one of us for all eternity.
The notion of Man's natural equality was derived from the slogan of French revolutionaries
Rousseau, Robespierre, Marat and Danton; and is complete and utter horse manure.
That should be the point; not military ornaments that have been obsolete for centuries!!!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 01:21:28 am »
The wisest of all cultures/societies who walked this earth, were the Greeks; an undisputed reality!
Among their wisest was Plato, who told the world that the reservoir of Man's creativity and inspiration
was his Soul which differentiated each and every one of us for all eternity.
The notion of Man's natural equality was derived from the slogan of French revolutionaries
Rousseau, Robespierre, Marat and Danton; and is complete and utter horse manure.
That should be the point; not military ornaments that have been obsolete for centuries!!!

It's safe to say the most deadly military ornament is human ingenuity.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 01:26:20 am »
The author's point, that denying the right to keep and bear arms to the general populace is the urge of those who think themselves better than the common man, who think that they (backed by armed men serving their interests, rather than those of the actual people, whether those armed goons are called "the King's Guard," "the People's Liberation Arm," the NYPD, or the DHS) are entitled by being better (in the old days it was called "more noble") than every one else to run everyone's lives, is sound.

Somehow, though contextualizing this as opposition to nobility, reminds me of the remark of a Russian expat, telling us to cherish the Second Amendment, "We all had weapons when we were free under the Tsars," which makes fairly clear that not all noblemen, everywhere were opposed to the ordinary people having arms.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 04:32:11 am »
----------------------
Cyber, you're a smart lad, as your language proves,
but you gotta reflect longer before responding.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 01:05:26 pm »
----------------------
Cyber, you're a smart lad, as your language proves,
but you gotta reflect longer before responding.
Meh.  Not my way....
I will NOT comply.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 01:19:33 pm »

Ain't that the truth.... Just imagine if we had spent the same amount of creativity, time, money we spent on mutually assured destruction on peace......