Author Topic: Trump cancels Jacksonville, Florida, convention  (Read 414 times)

Offline Applewood

Trump cancels Jacksonville, Florida, convention
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:52 pm »

President Trump has called off the Florida portion of the 2020 Republican National Convention.
The president said the "the timing for this event is not right" as COVID-19 cases in Florida skyrocket.

Instead, Trump promised Republicans would host "telerallies" and other online events that week celebrating his acceptance of the party's presidential nomination. He'd still address delegates before taking on presumptive 2020 Democratic standard-bearer Joe Biden in the fall, he said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-cancels-jacksonville-florida-convention

I have to ask:  isn't it up to the party to cancel the convention? 

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Trump cancels Jacksonville, Florida, convention
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:13:36 pm »

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-cancels-jacksonville-florida-convention

I believe so but they likely gave the thunder to the President. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:14:24 pm »
The president - no matter who he is - is always considered the head of his party.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 10:15:05 pm »
   In other news it was revealed recently that Trump shut down the 2016 GOP Convention, also.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:27:39 pm »
"LIBERATE Jacksonville!"

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:43 pm »
The president - no matter who he is - is always considered the head of his party.

Well, that's what I thought too...which is why I blame him as well as Republicans in congress for not keeping their campaign promises. 

But that's off topic and I've said it so many times, people are getting sick of it.  I will say I'm glad much of the convention will be gone this year.  Really no reason why a major part of the convention could not have been done virtually. 

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:33:52 pm »
   Why spend all that money to finance a foregone conclusion?  Send it instead to candidates to possibly retake the House and keep the Senate, OR roll it back into MAGA Season II, which they are apt to do, anyway.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »
   Why spend all that money to finance a foregone conclusion?  Send it instead to candidates to possibly retake the House and keep the Senate, OR roll it back into MAGA Season II, which they are apt to do, anyway.

Right. Conventions are mostly about spending company money on booze, hookers, and drugs.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley