Author Topic: Owner of Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant files for bankruptcy and will close some stores  (Read 526 times)

Offline Applewood

Owner of Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant files for bankruptcy and will close some stores

Owner of Ann Taylor, Lane Bryant files for bankruptcy and will close some stores
The company behind Ann Taylor and Lane Bryant filed for bankruptcy Thursday and said it will close some stores under the umbrella of the Ascena Retail Group company.

Ascena said it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, citing the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent shutdowns as having “severely disrupted” its financial foundation.

The company said it will close a “select number” of Ann Taylor, LOFT, Lane Bryant and Lou & Grey stores, including all stores across brands in Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico. The company said it will also be shutting all Catherine Stores and a “significant number” of Justice stores.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/508655-owner-of-ann-taylor-lane-bryant-files-for-bankruptcy-and-will-close-some

Offline Applewood

Ascena is blaming COVID, but I believe at least some of its stores were not doing well before the pandemic.  I do know that locally, Lane Bryant moved out of the mall near me a few years ago into a new large shopping center, allegedly to save on rent.  And some of the other brands near me like Catherine's and Justice closed last year. 

Bad times for brick and mortar retail.

Offline LadyLiberty

I can count the number of times I have been in an Ann Bryant on one hand.  Whenever I look into one I never see anything that catches my eye to draw me in.

Offline Applewood

I can count the number of times I have been in an Ann Bryant on one hand.  Whenever I look into one I never see anything that catches my eye to draw me in.

I bought a few things at Lane Bryant when I was fatter than I am now.  I would agree -- the store didn't have much to appeal to me either.  i believe Lane Bryant tried to adapt the latest fashion trends for larger women.  Unfortunately, most of the latest trends just don't look good on overweight women.

Now Ann Taylor had some smart, attractive clothes for work, but I haven't worked since 2008 and even before then, my last employer went to a business casual dress code some years prior.  So I didn't really need anything dressy for work.  Haven't been in Ann Taylor for some time. 

Offline LadyLiberty

Whoops ... meant Ann Taylor above, not Ann Bryant!