Author Topic: Dunning-Kruger Effect  (Read 986 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Dunning-Kruger Effect
« on: July 21, 2020, 11:49:22 pm »
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/dunning-kruger-effect

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.
Contents

Understanding the Dunning-Kruger Effect

The concept of the Dunning-Kruger effect is based on a 1999 paper by Cornell University psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger. The pair tested participants on their logic, grammar, and sense of humor, and found that those who performed in the bottom quartile rated their skills far above average. For example, those in the 12th percentile self-rated their expertise to be, on average, in the 62nd percentile.

The researchers attributed the trend to a problem of metacognition—the ability to analyze one’s own thoughts or performance. “Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it,” they wrote.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:51:51 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Dunning-Kruger Effect
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:50:59 pm »
Meta-Ignorance

http://zhurnaly.com/cgi-bin/wiki/Meta-Ignorance

The Dunning-Kruger Effect, named for psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, is all about the most vicious problem of ignorance: if people don't know much about something, they also don't realize how little they know. They tend to overestimate their skill in that area. Worst of all, they don't know which "experts" to believe on the topic, so they're easily led astray by those who are smarter and want to manipulate them for profit or power.

This has depressing consequences for democracy. Topics that are rather technical — macroeconomics or global warming or health care policy or old age pension systems — require study and thought to understand. The average voter who hasn't looked into them in detail is likely to be snookered. Society suffers.

And this form of blindness to one's own blindness is an old story. Wikipedia offers quotes from Charles Darwin ("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge") and Bertrand Russell ("One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"). And William Butler Yeats said it even better in his poem "The Second Coming":

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 12:12:06 am »
The Dunning-Kruger effect is caused by the internet.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 01:42:44 am »
The Dunning-Kruger effect is caused by the internet.

Education type institutions also play a big part. Churning out masses of marxists.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 01:48:34 am »
Education type institutions also play a big part. Churning out masses of marxists.
I wonder how many of the Masked Marxists in the street could even identify some of the more notable persons of the last century?
I seriously doubt their comprehension of what they protest against and what they protest for.

Evidenced, of course by toppling statues of Frederick Douglass and the attacks on the 54th Mass memorial and the Emancipation Statue (and others). They are a mindless limbic brained rabble, displaying signs of being organized, of cunning, but not intelligence except that which manipulates them.

Still, any crowd is a mob waiting for a spark, often administered by some loudmouth who appeals to their most base emotions.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:36 am »
Shut up, sit down, and listen to the exspurts.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:54 am »

Or, shut down, sit up...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:23 am »
888high58888

Yep. It's a compound word.
Ex=has been
Spurt=drip under pressure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:38 am »
Or, shut down, sit up...

As an autodidact, I welcome thinking outside of the guardrails. The guardrails tend to define the direction... Which is not a good thing when being loaded into boxcars.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 02:02:43 am »
888high58888

Yep. It's a compound word.
Ex=has been
Spurt=drip under pressure.

That's right. And it is now firmly ensconced in my lexicon. Expect it by way of substitution from me from now on. In the face of the plandemic, the irony is apropos.

:beer:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:14:57 am »
Anyone familiar with a Moebius strip?

In mathematics, a Möbius strip, band, or loop , also spelled Mobius or Moebius, is a surface with only one side (when embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space) and only one boundary curve. The Möbius strip is the simplest non-orientable surface.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:17:35 am »
As an autodidact, I welcome thinking outside of the guardrails. The guardrails tend to define the direction... Which is not a good thing when being loaded into boxcars.

Better to think outside the guardrails than worrying about some damned cat.

Online DB

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 02:31:52 am »
Anyone familiar with a Moebius strip?

In mathematics, a Möbius strip, band, or loop , also spelled Mobius or Moebius, is a surface with only one side (when embedded in three-dimensional Euclidean space) and only one boundary curve. The Möbius strip is the simplest non-orientable surface.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Yes.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 02:40:14 am »
Yes.
One more then I need to go to bed.

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 03:18:20 am »
One more then I need to go to bed.

LOL.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 03:37:37 am »
Better to think outside the guardrails than worrying about some damned cat.

I heard that

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 07:17:47 pm »
Sorry I missed this thread, yep heard about this a few years back. Fascinating.

Thanks @bigheadfred
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️