Author Topic: Walmart will close stores on Thanksgiving to thank associates who 'stepped up' during coronavirus  (Read 611 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Walmart will close stores on Thanksgiving to thank associates who 'stepped up' during coronavirus
By Kaelan Deese - 07/21/20 12:11 PM EDT

Walmart announced Tuesday that it plans to keep all stores closed on Thanksgiving Day as a nod of appreciation for workers who "stepped up" during the coronavirus outbreak.

The changes will affect Walmart and Sam's Club stores and mark a turn from the company's typical tradition of kickstarting Black Friday sales a day early, Business Insider reported.

"We know this has been a trying year, and our associates have stepped up. We hope they will enjoy a special Thanksgiving Day at home with their loved ones," John Furner, president and chief executive of Walmart US, said in a statement. "We are certainly thankful to our people for all of their efforts."

Furner added that the idea for remaining closed on Thanksgiving this year, Nov. 26, came from a store supervisor in Texas.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/508309-walmart-will-close-stores-on-thanksgiving-to-thank-associates-who-stepped-up
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

I think this is a wonderful gesture.  I also noted in the article that Walmart announced  it would pay out a third round of pandemic bonuses to workers, ranging between $150 to $300.

That is awesome!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They can sit home and watch the—nope, parade's cancelled... Oh, at least there's—nope, football's cancelled... Well, at least you have your fa—nope, no gatherings of any kind, because the second wave's here...

What a gesture.  *****rollingeyes*****
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
I think this is a wonderful gesture.  I also noted in the article that Walmart announced  it would pay out a third round of pandemic bonuses to workers, ranging between $150 to $300.

That is awesome!

I agree wholeheartedly.
I've always been a generous tipper because surviving on tips is how I put myself through college obtaining my undergrad degree and one never forgets the struggle. But during this pandemic, I've been so grateful for these workers that I've been tipping like a Trump. Need another stimulus check from Big Poppa Trump to keep up the pretense.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline libertybele

They can sit home and watch the—nope, parade's cancelled... Oh, at least there's—nope, football's cancelled... Well, at least you have your fa—nope, no gatherings of any kind, because the second wave's here...

Gee, I don't know most people would welcome a day off that they thought they had to work. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite meals of the entire year to cook.  Turkey with sausage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry salad, broccoli or squash  casserole, mashed sweet potatoes and zucchini bread followed by pumpkin and pecan pie or pumpkin maple cheesecake.  Even if I had no one to share Thanksgiving with, I'd still cook it and enjoy it!

No football, I could care less.  No parades, my hubby can't stand parades.  A good ole classic movie is always welcome and a walk around the park after that delicious Thanksgiving meal is great. 

So, good for the people at Walmart, they can enjoy their hard earned day off and celebrate Thanksgiving as they see fit. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.

I don't envy the workers tasked with trying to enforce Social Distancing during Black Friday.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline libertybele

I don't envy the workers tasked with trying to enforce Social Distancing during Black Friday.

Yet another reason to enjoy their Thanksgiving day that they have off.  That's another 4 months away ... who knows ... we might have even more reason to be thankful.

Offline berdie

Yet another reason to enjoy their Thanksgiving day that they have off.  That's another 4 months away ... who knows ... we might have even more reason to be thankful.

Yes...we  may! I just hope Walmart is paying the workers for that day...as well as the bonuses. Those folks need to be fully appreciated.

Offline Applewood

My brother and SIL host the major holiday gatherings -- Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving.  They canceled Easter dinner due to COVID, but really, I see no reason why our family can't get together.  There are only six of us and as long as we all stay COVID-free, what's the problem?  Time to loosen the restrictions and get together with our loved ones.  This isolation chit is getting old.

But it's up to my brother and sister-in-law and if they still feel uneasy about having us all at their house, then I will do what I did for Easter -- binge watch some movies and tv series, read a couple of magazines and, if the weather is agreeable, go for a walk.  Always something to do, or if not, do nothing.

Personally, I believe dragging retail workers away from their loved ones to work on a holiday is wrong.  Maybe by closing on Thanksgiving, Walmart will be taking the lead in reversing these holiday openings for all retailers.