Author Topic: Pipeline firms scale back plans amid legal protests  (Read 596 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Pipeline firms scale back plans amid legal protests
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:43:50 am »
Houston Chronicle by  James Osborne July 20, 2020

A decade ago, when the shale boom was still in its infancy, developers lined up to build long-distance natural gas pipelines to supply distant markets with low-cost energy to replace aging, dirty coal and oil-burning power plants.

But after years of legal fights with environmental groups trying to eradicate carbon-emitting fossil fuels, pipeline companies are backing off large-scale pipeline projects. The decision by its developers earlier this month to cancel the 600-mile Atlantic Coast Pipeline project is just the beginning, experts say.

“There’s so much uncertainty on the project timeline and the cost you are unlikely to see another major natural gas pipeline built (that crosses state lines),” said Sam Andrus, executive director of North American gas at the consulting firm IHS Markit. “These environmental groups have made it their explicit goal to delay these projects and raise the costs. And they’re getting better at it as time goes on.”

If more pipelines go the way of the Atlantic Coast, it would limit markets for natural gas producers in states such as Texas, which produces more gas than any state and has watched its economy thrive under oil and gas boom brought on by hydraulic fracturing.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Pipeline-firms-scale-back-plans-amid-legal-15417954.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Pipeline firms scale back plans amid legal protests
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 11:54:38 am »
Isn't it unbelievable a pipeline to carry crude is blocked due to environmental concerns yet that same crude can be carried to the same place by rail, a much riskier way to transport crude environmentally safely?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:56:56 am »
Energy independence is a huge driving force to freeing ourselves from the chains having to protect the M.E oil interest., and all the lives that costs. 
Sounds like the left likes to put our military in harms way, if you ask me. 

Time to mae make those who really need that area for oil (predominantly EU)...  protect it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 12:12:19 pm »
Isn't it unbelievable a pipeline to carry crude is blocked due to environmental concerns yet that same crude can be carried to the same place by rail, a much riskier way to transport crude environmentally safely?

That's what happens when have a left dim leaning Buffett protecting his business interests.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.