Author Topic: Tommy Tuberville defeats Jeff Sessions in Alabama GOP Senate runoff  (Read 1352 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Tommy Tuberville defeats Jeff Sessions in Alabama GOP Senate runoff
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 02:09:53 pm »
What if that 10-20% left-wing is stuff that's important to me?  I want somebody who will move the ball down-field, and somebody with an axe to grind against the President is not likely to move the ball.

I've long had the attitude it's up to Alabamans, and they have spoken, with a roughly 2 to 1 ratio.

Have at it then. It sure as hell ain't something I will celebrate.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:38 pm »

I've long had the attitude it's up to Alabamans, and they have spoken, with a roughly 2 to 1 ratio.

That's right and I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.  Until Tuberville loses to Jones in November that is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2020, 02:12:35 pm »
What if that 10-20% left-wing is stuff that's important to me?  I want somebody who will move the ball down-field, and somebody with an axe to grind against the President is not likely to move the ball.

I agree. But some looked at this race only as a referendum on Trump, and seem to be disappointed with the results.

Tuberville may turn out to be another flake, but IMO the problem is about a Majority Leader who refuses to fully utilize his authority than it is with individual senators.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:17:24 pm by skeeter »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2020, 02:12:36 pm »

Yep, and I am guessing there are things about Sessions they know that we don't ......   or they were baited, set, and hooked by POTUS.  Which might be, because I read last night that of all the 50 states AL gives him the highest approval rating.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 02:31:35 pm »
Have at it then. It sure as hell ain't something I will celebrate.

I can understand that, I'd never ask you to celebrate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 02:31:40 pm »
I agree. But some looked at this race only as a referendum on Trump, and seem to be disappointed with the results.

As I said last night, I think the more telling point was the dismal turnout.  Plenty of theories at this point, but none definitive.

Did notice that Sessions got roughly the same amount of votes that he did in the primary.  Kind of tells me he didn't convince any other supporters of 5 losing candidates.  In any case, best wishes to Mr. Sessions in his retirement.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 02:32:43 pm »
That's right and I've said all I'm going to say on the subject.  Until Tuberville loses to Jones in November that is.

That remains to be seen.  Jones might be in big trouble in AL because of his vote to Impeach the President.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 02:37:46 pm »
That remains to be seen.  Jones might be in big trouble in AL because of his vote to Impeach the President.

I would hope so! But I fully expect a parade of people coming out with "revelations" about things Tuberville allowed in the locker room and such about two weeks prior to November 3rd.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 02:39:20 pm »
As I said last night, I think the more telling point was the dismal turnout.  Plenty of theories at this point, but none definitive.

Did notice that Sessions got roughly the same amount of votes that he did in the primary.  Kind of tells me he didn't convince any other supporters of 5 losing candidates.  In any case, best wishes to Mr. Sessions in his retirement.

Fairly (or unfairly) his stint as AG no doubt had something to do with his loss. I don't see any reason to feel sorry for him, though. The consolation prize for an ex senator out of work is always pretty lucrative.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 02:42:47 pm »
You only have to look at how many Liberals, who were pulling for Sessions, are upset at the result.
Any time Liberals are 'upset', I am happy. When a Liberal is upset, that is always a good thing for America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2020, 02:45:30 pm »

I first said this about 4 years ago, and I still think it rings true.....

There wouldn't be a POTUS Trump, if it wasn't for two people.....   Both these individuals gave legitimacy to a candiacy that had early on was viewed at as a novelty. 

Those 2?   Rush Limbaugh, and Jeff Sessions, who was DJT's first senatorial endorsement.

Now in July 2020, I'd love to hear Session's candid retrospections on those decisons and how Trump treats those who helped him. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »
You only have to look at how many Liberals, who were pulling for Sessions, are upset at the result.
Any time Liberals are 'upset', I am happy. When a Liberal is upset, that is always a good thing for America.

There's pretty much full consenus that Sessions is more conservative than Tuberville, so it is kind of ironic that the left would look at it that way.  Why do you claim this?  You think Tuberville would do better against Jones as the reason?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »
Fairly (or unfairly) his stint as AG no doubt had something to do with his loss. I don't see any reason to feel sorry for him, though. The consolation prize for an ex senator out of work is always pretty lucrative.

If Sessions were really a vindictive sort, he'd be fast tracking a pre-election book as we speak.  In any case, I bet his phone is ringing off the wall this morning.

And honestly, no one knows all the details of the Trump-Session Kerfuffle.  I am guessing 5, 10, or 15 years from now we will really find out.  And I am for one am not betting against Sessions being viewed more as hero than villian after it all comes out in the wash.

There is just so much I distrust about Trump.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:58:51 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2020, 02:55:00 pm »
There's pretty much full consenus that Sessions is more conservative than Tuberville, so it is kind of ironic that the left would look at it that way.  Why do you claim this?  You think Tuberville would do better against Jones as the reason?

I, for one, and really tired of Senators with "high conservative ratings" always folding to the Rats when a vote is really important for the country.  McStain comes to mind...had decent ratings but failed us on every close vote.

If Sessions got the rejection slip because of his recusal from any investigation involving Russians, then the same voters will not look kindly upon Doug Jones' vote to Impeach the President.
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2020, 03:03:37 pm »
If Sessions were really a vindictive sort, he'd be fast tracking a pre-election book as we speak.  In any case, I bet his phone is ringing off the wall this morning.

And honestly, no one knows all the details of the Trump-Session Kerfuffle.  I am guessing 5, 10, or 15 years from now we will really find out.  And I am for one am not betting against Sessions being viewed more as hero than villian after it all comes out in the wash.

There is just so much I distrust about Trump.

I'd take that bet. I haven't been impressed with 'conservative' Sessions since he endorsed an unknown, untested real estate developer candidate at the expense of a proven conservative senator.

Thank goodness that worked out OK, but none of us knew that at the time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 04:59:47 pm »

Yeah! He'll likely go to work for his excolleague (Trent Lott) over on K Street and make millions.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idiot

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 06:27:45 pm »
Well, I think the citizens of AL picked the wrong guy, but it's their call, and I respect that.  Now time to zap a liberal dim Jones who has no business representing a state as red as AL is.
I think part of it is that the electorate were just plain sick of Sessions and wanted new blood. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 07:04:24 pm »
So how long before some of Tuberville's former football players start saying Tuberville said racist things?

ROFL!   Yeah... the former Auburn football coach is a 'racist'.   That's gonna sell...   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:56 pm »
As a BAMA fan, I stand with my Auburn brethren on this one.  Because there is no way any Auburn fan would have voted for Obama after placing a 'G' before his name.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-