Author Topic: S&P 500 earnings set to plunge as the coronavirus batters all sectors  (Read 545 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sp-500-earnings-set-to-plunge-as-the-coronavirus-batters-all-sectors-with-wall-street-counting-on-a-bounce-that-may-not-come-2020-07-11?mod=mw_latestnews

S&P 500 earnings set to plunge as the coronavirus batters all sectors — with Wall Street counting on a bounce that may not come

<snipit>

The one certainty about the outlook for companies in a COVID-19 world is that second-quarter earnings will be very bad — the worst, in fact, in more than 10 years.

Although Wall Street is betting that earnings will start bouncing off the bottom in the third quarter, the beginning point for that bounce is unknown, and early indications suggest the rebound’s magnitude may not match investors’ hopes.

As usual ahead of earnings season, since the reports cover the three-month period that has already passed, what companies say about the current quarter or the full year is more important than the results they’re reporting. But this earnings season may be different, as uncertainty over the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has led many companies to withdraw guidance, leaving analysts more blinkered than usual when setting estimates.
====================================================================================

I have been warning of this for some time now.  The exuberance of equity prices seemed over done, considering there was little or no idea in most cases what the actual COVID-19 impacts would on earnings.  If we start seeing consensus earnings misses, I think we are going to start seeing a part II of a correction.

Now, I see that the goobner of CA is pretty much shutting down the state.  Seeing all this play out going into August is not working well in Trump's favor.  Furthermore if it looks like a Biden win come November?  Watch for an accelerate drop in stock prices.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's why I invested in semi-precious metal...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Big day for earnings estimates for the financial sector....

So far JP Morgan, has well beat analyst estimates, Wells Fargo, a bad quarter.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The market it definitely toppy and treacherous right now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

The market it definitely toppy and treacherous right now.

VIX @31 and rising sharply.  That definitely confirms your suspicions. Article after article ia basically yelling the same thing.  Upcoming earnings are going to skew the P/E's ratios up so sharply, equity prices can't sustian, and we really can't avoid a bear market.

And sadly politically, it couldn't come at a worse time.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
VIX @31 and rising sharply.  That definitely confirms your suspicions. Article after article ia basically yelling the same thing.  Upcoming earnings are going to skew the P/E's ratios up so sharply, equity prices can't sustian, and we really can't avoid a bear market.

And sadly politically, it couldn't come at a worse time.
Volatility is where the money is made.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

Volatility is where the money is made.

And lost  :cool: